SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

would you like to see something gross?

vacuumfreak
16 years ago

Of course you would! Even if you say you wouldn't because you would enjoy sounding like a prude, you DID click this thread after reading the title, didn't you? :o)

This was my lunch today! Can you guess what it is?

Tofu! Last week I met a guy who doesn't eat meat. He's not a Vegan, but he doesn't eat meat. I made a vegetable lasagna for him. We made homemade ice cream for dessert. He said it was great. The next morning for breakfast I made homemade blueberry waffles. I couldn't find the fresh blueberries I bought just to make the waffles, so I had to get the bag of frozen fruit that I use for smoothies and PICK OUT the blueberries for waffles! How embarrassing. Then, I plugged in the waffle iron. The deformed waffle iron I got for free from a co worker who said she was throwing it out. It was missing two legs. When I got the iron, I tried to "JB WELD" some wooden craft spools onto the bottom so it would stand up evenly. Well, the legs melted off the bottom as soon I closed the lid on the first batch of batter. It fell down and the batter oozed out. I guess this is what I did to deserve the punishment I got for lunch today.

Long story even longer, in order to "return" the favor he wanted to do the cooking this time. He wanted to make taco salad. He used tofu for the meat and a protein and soy neon orange product for cheese. It wasn't terrible, but it looked horrible and I got heartburn after eating it. He asked me if I thought it was missing anything and I wanted to say, "Yeah, you forgot the ground beef!" I didn't since I knew he was referring to seasoning. He plated it on a bed of tortilla chips and topped with lettuce and fat free sour cream. I can't even describe how weird the taste and texture were, I just wanted to share the photo with my cooking forum friends! He told me that it would taste very close to ground beef. It did not, and that color... it took on the color of the salsa. If I had ground beef that color, it would still be mooing and making milk. The efforts were very much appreciated and I let him know that.

So, what did you think the first time you had tofu? If you haven't yet, I'm sure you will not want to after seeing this!

Comments (14)