SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

Contractor FINALLY gone but I have to finish job

Shannon01
15 years ago

If you recall my recent post about my contractor who was simply unskilled in the customer services dept....

We finally got him to finish, well enough to send him packing. Funny thing is that when I told him what needed to be completed and then we would consider the job done, he didn't say a word. Whatever.

The total job was to do crown molding throughout house. Contract was signed 12/8 and we sent him packing 2/1. I still have to touch up all the undersides of the molding where he and his crew overpainted the wall color onto the molding. His sales pitch was that he would install and paint the molding, then he would touch up the wall color. He had a degree from art school and we would be amazed at the job once complete. Then he tells us he hates painting, is not good at it and would probably not do a good enough job to satisfy me. Heck, my 8 yr old could have done a better job blindfolded.

This weekend we had him hang the last few boards, caulk and leave. He did not even say he was sorry about not being able to finish. AND he didn't even bring the last board to finish the one room. DH was actually going to HD and so WE got the board for him. I subtracted it from the balance owed of course.

He did say he really liked us and wished there had not been so many issues on this job. The only thing left is for him mom to come get my car. Part of the deal was I would donate my car to their non-profit kids club. It is a great car, just needs a few little things like a new cat to pass smog and a new O2sensor. It will save me the hassle of selling so it was worth it.

Some lessons this guy has taught me if I EVER decide to be a contractor:

Start job on time and actually complete it.

Do not share deepest personal problems with client.

Don't offer something I hate doing or don't do well.

Do not talk about all the other big paying jobs I am also working on while not working on current clients home.

Do not talk about how crummy a product is to a client who actually has it in their house.

And finally, actually complete the job.

I have hired two contractors since 1993, well the pool company is the third but they were a huge company and they are always full of issues so I won't include them here. Both were horrible, both had great references. Not sure of any lesson learned here. DH just tells me that we always do better than anyone so we should just stick to doing our own projects. At least for what we paid this guy for we did not have to get up on the 25' ladder to hang the stuff so we did at least get our moneys worth on that.

In the end, my house is pretty complete other than some furniture that we will not purchase until next year after new puppy has grown up and there is less chance of it getting chewed on. Never thought I would be done with all the main things I wanted to do since moving in 1/04. We finally decided what color to paint the office and downstairs bath so that will really finish it all. From floors to molding to redoing the fireplace, to backyard landscape this house is finally where we have wanted it to be. I will have to do a post of the before and afters. Those are always fun to see. Watch for it.

Comments (2)