SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maydl

Efficient pantry in 22-inch space?

maydl
16 years ago

My existing pantry is in an open space that is 22 inches wide and 30 inches deep, and it rises vertically to 14-foot roof rafters. The original owners installed five stationary shelves, to which DH and I later added Container Store pullouts. The upper 6 feet or so of the space, above the top-most stationary shelf, is just open to the roof. The front of the space is "finished" with the face frame and doors of an 84-inch inverted utility cabinet that matches the kitchen cabinetry. The space "works" but looks like h-ll.

I feel that the face frame, doors, and stationary shelves limit the most efficient use of the space. In our kitchen remodel next year, I'd like to empty the space and reconfigure it to

(a) use all or most of the space, at least up to a reasonable height, with the kitchen floor extending into the pantry space (meaning no toe kick, as I have now);

(b) have pullout shelving that is completely adjustable vertically, preferably every three inches or so;

(c) have a door style that will maximize the opening to the space (current face frame shrinks the opening from 22 inches to about 13 inches!)

(d) be readjustable once it is inside the pantry.

I added (d) because the Elfa "wide" (22-inch) runner frames and drawer baskets could be built and inserted before the door was attached and would fit perfectly EXCEPT that afterward there would be only 10 inches of space between the front of the drawers and the pantry door opening (which would be less than 22 inches with whatever door is installed)--potentially not enough room to lift out a drawer basket from one runner and replace it in another.

Dear Organizers, can you help with ideas? Thanks so much.

Comments (8)