SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692983

Our SECRET hiding places. 'Did I say that out loud?'

User
15 years ago

I actually prefer to call them my favorite storage spaces.

Most folks would be appauled if they knew one of my favorite places to store things is on the floor. "The *floor*!" you say! "Won't everyone trip over or step on them?" Yes, the floor. And no, they won't even know they're there, because the floor I use in under skirted sofas, chairs and beds. I see no reason such valuable real estate on dust bunnies alone, do you? And it's not necessary to have whatever is under there in containers unless you happen to have one that fits. Containers do make for easier access when you need to get those items.

No one knows what goes on behind closed doors, so why not use those doors for storing items the size of a shoe or smaller. Almost every closet door in our last home held an over the door clear pocket shoe storage system. Not one of them held shoes.

>The one in the coat closet held mitten, gloves, scarves and hats. Each family member had their own row vertically.

>The closet in the bathroom held health and beauty aides. Again each family member had their own row.

>The hall linen closet held the first aide supplies. Since the bathroom was the main one used by us all I felt it was wiser to keep them more accessable incase the bathroom was in use when first aide was needed. Our children were old enough to not be harmed by anything in there. So think about hat before you use this idea.

>Our daughter had one over her bedroom door for all her hair accessories.

And more things stored on the floor. This time under beds.

>The kids each had three small under the bed storage containers for whatever they wanted to put in them. I'm sure it varied as they grew.

>We have two long storage containers under our bed for storing linens for our bed.

>Guest room has two of the same type containers with no longer used mini blinds (which I should offer on Craigslist) and curtain rods that are waiting to be used and ofcourse linens for that bed.

I'm also a big fan us coated wire racks for doubling space on shelves in kitchen cabinet and the pantry.

Skirted tables are another great way to add storage to your home. They make a wonderful place to store books or magazines. Easily accessed, but out of site when not being read. Many now are made with shelves instead of legs.

When we built a two and a half car garage out back we added a latter to make use of the attic for storing extra lumber and ofcourse Christmas decor. We are waiting for cooler weather to finish the floor of our attic here so we can store the kids things for them. I mean you can't have a Victorian style home without an attic to store old stuff, can you?

OK, let me hear what your hiding places are for your stuff!

P.S. the last sprinkers just turned off so I have hand watering to do so I'm not taking time to proof read. I hope it all makes sense.

Comments (20)