SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Look out--I got a label maker

Frankie_in_zone_7
15 years ago

Oh my. I just got a PT-1880. I may never surface again--may spend all day labelling.

Actually I am starting in my "work office" (have office staff but am on my own for my own files, a lot of computer stuff, and so forth) as opposed to labelling stuff at home, which I will take on a bit later. So it's the good and bad, because while nobody bothers me in my own office, still, as the song says, "I am free to make a big mistake" and nobody is organizing or keeping up for me, either. So I spent years with hand-labelled files and some old typed file labels. Computerized printing labels just didn't seem to match my needs for occasional and eclectic labelling so I never got into that.

What's interesting and fun is that I am combining it with a major toss-out of too much paper, too much accumulated junk, out with the old projects, make room for new ideas and new ventures. So the act of purging files and re-labelling files and having such lovely legible labels is synergistic, 'cause I'm able to see things better and then can see hmm, I don't really need this or that, plus the more lovely and neat progress I make, the more neat and streamlined I want to get, so I toss more junk. It is just so much easier to see the things that I seemed to have kept for not very good reasons, somehow. It's even worth wasting some label tape because occasionally I make a label and then because I took time to consider what it was, I may say, why the heck do I need that? And poof, out it goes.

Then too, it helps reinforce the place for everything approach, so I am both finding it easier to find things and to put things away after use.

So from a paper file standpoint, I started off with my existing 2" hanging file tabs, but then I noticed, since I am switching finally to having all the tabs lined up on one side, and I like a larger font size, prefer one row of type and a reasonably descriptive file name, why don't I go to 3" labels? Might be worth doing some of them over.

Any fun input from file label junkies out there?

Comments (7)