SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamhouse1_gw

Just moved to the Chicago area, what do I need to know????

dreamhouse1
13 years ago

After living in Texas my entire life, I now find myself in the Chicago area. Might as well be a foreign country to me, which would be equally exciting!

So now I am close to a Trader Joe's....why should I be excited? What do I need to buy??? I've seen all the posts, but have never really noted particular items as a TJ's was never available to me.

I see lots of farmer market signs around, do I look for anything in particular?

I know the whole weather thing will bring new culinary experiences as I guess there will be more 'stewing' and 'simmering' going on. In Texas anything to keep the oven off or the cooktop on as little as possible was a good thing.

I'm feeling a lot more 'wholesome' cooking and eating here for some reason. Maybe all the farms.

Although I lived in Houston and there were many restaraunts, there seems to be a bigger variety here and probably more authentic cuisines (after all, Texas was the birthplace of Tex-Mex). I've already had to ask what "Italian Beef" is! So, any recommendations for places to eat??? I'm sure Chicago is full of wonderful places, but some personal recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My family loves ALL foods, well most of the family anyway.

I'm going to need a whole other forum on what winter will entail....we don't even own winter coats!

Thanks to all!!

Comments (47)

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

If you don't have winter coats or gear - that should be the first thing on your mind. Chicago is famous for the blizzards that whip up on the lake on the last minute. Could be 80 degrees today and you could be 10" deep in snow three days later.

Gear up for the winter first!

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Yup, winter. You'll want a good glog recipe. Glog is spiced booze.

In Chicago you're at one of the hubs of the Great Lakes. You'll be able to enjoy Great Lakes fish such as walleye, Lake perch, coho salmon, whitefish and if you're lucky, Lake trout. Also pan fish from smaller inland lakes and streams, which you may be familiar with somewhat from Texas. What you'll miss is fresh seafood, so it's kind of a tradeoff.

Lots of great fruit is grown around the Lake. Tart and sweet cherries come to mind, along with great apples, nectarines, pears, peaches and plums. Michigan has some nice wines which you might be able to find in Chicago, although nothing to compare to CA wines which are ubiquitous, along with Chilean and Australian, so not much of a bonus there.

And then there's MEAT. I don't know much about that, but Chi-town is hog butcher to the world, or at least it was. Lots of good beer and other German influenced kinds of stuff, I'll bet the bread and baked goods are great there. You'll not find as much Mexican influence, but you may find more of a middle eastern and eastern european influence.

Great cheeses too, due to the nearby Wisconsin influence. Although I have to say that other states have a strong dairy industry too, so I wouldn't say that the cheese there will be all that much different than anywhere else, just maybe you'll have more access to some of the fresher, locally made stuff.

The thing you'll have to watch out for is gaining weight. Unless you're vigilant about developing some winter sports you like to particiapte in, and active indoor hobbies, you may find the food is TOO good in Chicago, eating is a major winter passtime, especially the home baked goods, and the pot roasts and pot pies, so watch out or you'll have a pot belly in no time!!

• Related Discussions

City to country move - what do I need to know about plant choices

Q

Comments (9)
    We are still young. :) But my husband did say he hopes this is our "forever" home since he doesn't know how much longer he can do this (fixer uppers). LOL. Thanks for the advice, lots of good stuff here. I remember hearing that well water wreaks havoc on your hair, and your laundry...??? It's about 2.22 acres...and it is grass, and a lot of it, definitely not a push mower thing. If we don't mow, neighbors would be pretty upset. Pretty much everyone has mowed acres with mature trees, with tree lined unmowed areas along the lot lines for privacy. I was thinking of keeping the planting beds closest to the house, and adding ornamental trees further from the home. There are definitely a lot of trees that need attention as far as trimming, and some removal. I was told the soil is not clay, and the surrounding areas have a lot of rocks, so good drainage, but I'm assuming this also means not much moisture retention. They said the grass is usually brown, but this year there has been an unusual amount of rain, so grass is greener than most years. So much for hand weeding. I'm guessing I should give up on my "Ligularia, The Rocket" which does fine in my clay soil, but I'm sure it will suffer there with not enough moisture. Even here, I water, water, water to keep it happy. I don't usually plant edibles, mostly just perennials, but I'll have to look into perennials that wildlife favor. I'm guessing edibles would either be a huge undertaking in competing with wildlife, or just too much maintenance in general. I'm assuming plants will be happier with well water as opposed to city water, right? I was also told that with a John Deere mower, I can plan on maybe 45 minutes per acre? There are plenty of mature trees - conifers, and deciduous, and others I haven't identified in my limited tree vocabulary. I was going to start with installing a short picket fence for my dogs in the rear yard, and then go from there as far as planting beds closest to the house. I'm looking forward to adding red japanese maples, dogwoods, magnolias...so many possibilities. Going from 1/8 acre to this is going to be heaven. "They'll eat saplings and some evergreens, garden perennials. Rabbits, voles, mice, chipmunks abound also. Plant berry bushes and you might get a bear or two." --- I had no idea deer like evergreens, ugh. Thanks for the info.
    ...See More

I'm just shaking....I don't know what to do.

Q

Comments (35)
    Good morning KT friends. After a tossing and turning kind of night, I'll have to put last night and the stolen meds behind me.....with a HUGE lesson learned!! We will not be trusting of anyone again. Sad, isn't it? Yes, a big part of this is our fault, having the meds on a table out in the open, but we didn't expect any company. If any neighbors drop in, it during the daytime. There were no refills on the prescription, so that is all they will get from us, and I hope they choke on it. After talking to a couple neighbors, we think Shelly passed the pills off to a gal who is a caretaker to an elderly lady, and a real low-life type, so it was easy for her to sy the Police could search her APT, and we all know he can't unless he gets a warrant. I'm not shaking any more but I'm still really pi$$ed.
    ...See More

I have a Chicago city lot and don't know what to do with it

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi there! I have recently demolished a house on a city lot in Chicago. Now it needs some serious beautification. We have already put a parking pad in the back made of CA-6. We plan to fence that off. We will also add an iron fence in the front. Other than that, I'm looking for a solution that is: High durability (think Chicago winter) Low maintenance Budget-friendly Another very important thing to note is that the yard slightly grades down toward the left. I'd like to have as little grass as possible, but I am ok with a small grass area. The purpose of this yard will be for adults to entertain: I like having an area for seating, perhaps some pathways, and even a firepit in it. The lot is 25x100 feet (which does not include the parking pad). What do I need to know to get this all started? What ideas do you have? Do you think its something I can do -- seeing as how I've never done anything like this myself? How can I prevent weeds? Thanks for your insight!
    ...See More

Just moved, 16ft x 22ft living room!!! I don't even know where to begi

Q

Comments (23)
    Personally, I'd switch the longer sofa to the wall and move the Christmas tree to the other corner. Put the loveseat where the recliner is currently and the recliner where the sofa is currently. Do you have a TJ Maxx, Ikea or Home Goods nearby? You can usually find window covering there for $20-25/set plus inexpensive throw pillows. For the extra space in the living room, do you need an area for computer, etc.? Can you paint any of the rooms or is this a rental? Maybe you could create an accent wall in a darker color? For the tv, you can get cube organizers fairly inexpensively at Ikea or even Walmart (their BHG brand - I have two of those and they are very sturdy). Here's an example:
    ...See More
  • lindac
    13 years ago

I have never lived in Chicago....but as my aunt and uncle and SIL and BIL and now my son and his family for the past 26 years, I know a lot about Chicago and the suburbs.

I agree on the boots mittens and a warm coat or 2....and don't forget a snow blower and a scarf.
    I think Theresa exaggerated a bit on the 80 to 10 inches of snow in a blink....but not by much. It's the midwest....if you don't like today's weather, wait until tomorrow....you may like it less.
    What suburb are you in? The famous "lake effect snow" doesn't often get to the western suburbs.....only occasionally.
    But they are great about salting and plowing and you can pretty much always get around when it snows.
    What to look for? Chicago Pizza...Lou Malnattis is a good place to start...Chicago hot dogs, Portillos is a good place to start....there are others...but Portillo made good and from a tiny little hot dog shack he is now all over the area.
    And if you are craving Mexican...Topo La Bamba and Frontera Grill....Rick Bayless' places are wonderful!!
    You need to eat at one of the high end steak places like Morton's on Randolph.
    Then you can go to the grocery store.....and find most ethnic foods..
    But get thee to a store and buy a warm, preferably down filled, winter coat and a hat and mittens...
    I am afraid your Texas blood will freeze in your veins!!
    Linda C

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Well, what you really need to know is that we tend to have a lot of CF get togethers in the Chicago area and you will be expected to attend several! LOL

My daughter lives in Berwyn and all I can tell you is there are scads of great restaurants, shopping is wonderful and there is always something to do in the Chicago area!

Oh, and yep....gonna need a parka and some good boots.....

Linda

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Before air transport, Chicago relied on lake fish, Wisconsin cheese, local butchers. But for the last several decades, we have every foodstuff found on the planet.

We have every type of fresh seafood, flown in. You name it, it's here. We had barramundi, an Australian fish, at my daughter's bat mitzvah. Lake Superior whitefish is flown to Chicago. Chicago is on Lake Michigan.

Our wine stores have a huge selection of wines from all over the world, including huge assortments of small and large vintners from Cal. and the Pac nw. We have cheeses from tiny towns all over Europe, not just Wisconsin cheddar and goat cheese.

Restaurants-all kinds. Mom and pop Italian, Northern, Southern, Tuscan, --- Argentine steak, Ethiopian, Bayless' best Mexican, Himalayan, American, etc.

But what I love most is Chicago deep dish pizza from Lou Malnati's. It is the only food I have ever missed while traveling in the food meccas of France and Italy and the rest of Europe. I'd see a sign for pizza, whether a restaurant, cart, bakery, whatever, and while ok, once you're addicted to delicious Malnati's, it is disappointing. Don't let the Malnati's staff talk you into a 'well done' pizza. The thin is good too. When I see the New York braggarts bragging about their cardboard folded 'thing' and calling Chicago pizza a casserole, so sorry for their punishing arrogance. N. Y.'s loss. (Hope I didn't start a war)

Also, Chicago hot dogs. Only Vienna brand. Natural casing hot dogs which crunch.

We've got what everybody else has, but in addition, we have the best pizza and hotdogs! Forget hearty stews, Wisconsin cheeses and other cold weather cliches.

And don't miss what, in my memory was called, the second largest collection in the world, of fine Impressionist paintings. It's at our treasure, The Art Institute of Chicago. Just go to the second floor, first.

World class symphony, opera, ballet, folk, jazz, it's all here. And did you smile during your walk in Millenium Park?

• lindac
    13 years ago

Oh yeah and the Bean....and Lakeshore Drive and Navy Pier and the Chicago Symphony.
    And Bagels...REAL bagels and bialis.
    And wind and snow and heat and...DA BEARS!!

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Of course the Second City has every type of foreign and high quality gourmet food available, all ethnicities and fine restaurants. I was just speaking of the way the less financially endowed among them might eat on an everyday basis in a regular-income type neighborhood. Fresh seafood flown in from all over the world is available here in the Lehigh Valley too, I just can't afford it. Chicago is doing relatively well financially in some circles, but the rest of the Midwest is not. It is true that Chicagoans are very sophisticated in their food tastes and the food available in that city is second to none, due to the many varied cultures that have coverged in that city and left their mark. Add to that the centralized location of Chicago to the source of many great types of food (and I'm NOT talking seafood!) and you have one fantastic food region!

• lindac
    13 years ago

LPink....not to rain on your parade....but I would put new York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland and Probably Philadelphia above Chicago in ethnic diversity and the availablity of diverse foods.
    Much as I love Chicago, it's not called "Second City" for no reason.
    And I beg to differ about the "rest of the midwest" not doing well. Michigan leads the pack in poor employment rates in the midwest....but Nebraska and North and South Dakota among the lowest unemployment rates in the nation....and if we are being more lenient, Iowa, Kansas and Missouri are among the states with lower unemployment rates.
    Chicago is a great city....full of fun theater, art music and great food. the Lettuce Entertain you chain offers good food at good prices. Certain areas offer other diversities, North shore neighborhoods offer more high end stuff....south side more ethnic.
    As with any city....there is diversity..;.
    But don't forget to buy that parka!

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Oh yes, Chicago. I love it and take the train from Michigan to visit Peppi and have CF get togethers with Sherry and Linda and Ilana and who ever else comes along.

Definitely Chicago hot dogs, I like Gold Coast dogs but I want to try Hot Doug's and their duck fat fries. The girls really like Gino's East pizza best, but they're heathens from Michigan, LOL, and I don't care for pizza at all so I couldn't tell you. I think maybe it's all pretty good.

the view from John Hancock observatory is amazing and I just got an email that they are opening an ice rink there, 1,000 feet in the air. The Field Museum is a good place to just wander around and spend a cold winter's day, then have coffee any of a number of places afterward.

there's a great seafood market that Peppi took us to, darned if I know where it is, and as mentioned, it's right on The Lake, so there's always walleye, salmon, lake perch.
    There are restaurants from Frontera to Charlie Trotter's and everything in between.

Don't forget the Second City comedy club, great Chicago blues and jazz and about a zillion other things.

But first, get thee hence and buy a coat, boots, gloves, a hat and scarf. It's not called the Windy City for nothing and it does get cold. Fortunately Chicago is very experienced at moving snow so even big storms don't cause much of a blink.

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Sorry, guess I'm upper midwest centric. And I'm a small town girl so Chicago is plenty diverse the way I see it, compared to that. Yeah, Philly has great markets, but how many people live where they can access them all the time? All big cosmopolitan cities have great food, nothing newsy about that. Peppi probably knows the best foodie places to hang out there. I have only been to a few places in Chicago and it was all great to me, coming from the hinterlands. I haven't been to Seattle, but I have been to LA and the markets, but didn't like the driving to get there. But I didn't have to battle snow and traffic too in LA. I'll bet SF is a foodie dreamland, but we're talking about Chicago.

• friedajune
    13 years ago

You have about 1 more week left to eat local corn on the cob. OMG, it's manna from heaven. Sweet as sugar, and so tender, you could almost eat it raw. You can find it at farmer's markets of course, but Whole Foods makes a big effort to sell local corn too. But, unfortunately, it is only around about 1 month or so, and the season is about to end. I think the Indiana corn is over, the Illinois corn is ending, and the Wisconsin corn has about a week to go.

I just saw an episode of Anthony Bourdain's show "No Reservations" where he travelled to Chicago (link below). He says a couple of times in the show that there are only two real cities in America, New York and Chicago. I assume he is talking just in relation to food. Anyway, it's an interesting show. There are a couple of places he visits that are not my cup of tea at all, and I would avoid, but he is trying to show authentic local flavor.

Another TV show you should watch is the local "Check Please" on PBS. Each show has 3 local Chicago people recommend restaurants, and the other two try them out and discuss them.

Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" in Chicago

Chicago "Check Please" on PBS

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

Dreamhouse, you didn't say where in the area you are, but I am sure you have noticed by now that we tend to divide ourselves by neighborhoods and whether you are a northsider or a southsider. See "Westsider" above! Me? I am NW side of Chicago, in Norwood Park. :)

For some good info on shopping, cooking and eating out locally, there is a forum/message board that is pretty good. Check out www.LTH.com. You can scope out info or post what you might be looking for. The group is diverse and helpful. They may have differing opinions but I have never seen a cat fight there.

LPink, we have a large hispanic population here, both in the city and the burbs, as well as Eastern European, Asian, African, Indian, East Indian, Arabic, and some stores I am not sure what language they speak! Many cheeses due to Wisconsin but I think more to a international influence and being a cosmopolitan city. (Check out "Wisconsin Cheese factory" in Maywood. They are not from WI, make no cheese but are big importers/dist. of cheeses and other delights. Heavy on the Italian items for sure.) Alas, there is only one live hog butcher left that I have found, the others have moved to Iowa I think. Now live poultry markets are still here and do a brisk business. Need kosher or Halal meats? Let me know and I will get you the address of the markets on Milwaukee Ave or in Skokie.

Annie, the fish market was Isaacson's on Randolph in the heart of the old but holding meat/restuartant district. They have gentrified the area and now call it River North. Of course the rents shot up as did parking fees!

So Dreamhouse, if you need advise or directions, just shoot me an email.

But most of all, Welcome to Chicago!

Peppi

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

dreamhouse, yu will love Chicago. Like Annie said, we often get together there once a year to play with Peppi and Ilana and Linda and now we have a couple more we can invite. and now tht Nancy is retired she may be able to join us as well.
    Anyway, fish and seafood market...superb. Met, fabulous! Breads...awesome! Restaurants, even if you are young you do not have enough time to visit all the really good oones. Trader Joe's, Ikea, love them. The Magnificent Mile...I love it. I also vote with deee on the Art Institute of Chicago. I could literally spend days in there. Great shopping, great food, great people. But, um...have you bought that warm coat yet?

• dreamhouse1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! I have a lot to do and see!!

My DH has already discovered Portillo's and their dogs. My gosh, you'd a thought he died and went to heaven! I'm thinking, it's just a hot dog right? Oh my!

Linda, I don't know what the Bean is or bialis for that matter. Enlighten me, please!

So the corn, I've missed it? There's a farmer's market close to me that still is touting corn. Can I take it off the cob and freeze it in freezer bags? We've had some already and it was wonderful, but I didn't realize the availability was so short. One of DH's coworkers grew some and I was promised some; however, bugs got to it before he did :( His honey and watermelons were great though!

I hear that Halloween is the bomb around here and my kids are sooo excited about that. They are also so excited about the museums and of course my little guy is going crazy to get to LegoLand!!

I looked around at Nordstrom's yesterday for coats. Still picking brains around here about which fabrics/properties are most important (for wet/wind/cold). I'm seeing some pretty....uh...."interesting" foot gear. I'm going to need to take out a loan to buy all this stuff and to add on a closet! We're going from bikini's, cami's and flip flops to parkas, boots and more parkas. Oy.....

Thanks to all for the info and the welcomes. It's all so exciting!!!

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

The "Bean" is the metalic sculpture in Millenium Park. And Bialis are a type of bread/roll, very similar to a bagel.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Oh geez, I forgot one of my favorite sculptures. There's a four corners, down by the Museum complex, where two horse sculptures rear over the street facing each other, you literally walk under the horses, they're pretty amazing. help me out Peppi, where the heck are they.

Oh, and they tint the water in the fountains orange for Halloween and don't forget to watch them light the Christmas lights on the Mag Mile, something like a million lights or so, it's pretty amazing.

Dreamhouse, corn starts here in Michigan about the end of June and you get it through July and August, this has been an unusually long season so you get it for a month or six weeks, usually. I always cut it off the cob and freeze it, I just blanch the ears for a couple of minutes first, then cool it and cut it off the cob.

Annie

• Pieonear
    13 years ago

This is by far the best pizza I've ever tasted. The crust is totally different than any I've had before.

Hope you enjoy Chicago!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.giordanos.com/

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

Welcome to Chicago. I'm in the NW suburbs. Would love to get together with you.

Peppi are you still working in Glenview? Maybe the three of us could get together for lunch.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Dreamhouse....the "bean" is that mirror finish sculpture in Millenium Park...on theright kind of day, or night it reflects the city and sky in a wonderful way.
    Bialis are sort of bagels without the hole...but officianados say they taste different. I don't think so but they are more sandwich friendly.
    If your little guy is excited for Lego land,,,,try the Childrens' Museum in Evanston.
    I don't know what type person you are....but Ugg boots are worth looking into....and snow pants for the Lego Lover....so he can make a snow man out of the first snow....because after the first few, it soon becomes too cold to stick together.
    Oh and you need to learn words like "Fender berg" and "Slirt" and salt stains on your boots and not to wash your car when the temperature is below zero or your locks will freeze, and the phenomenon of "square tires" when it's very cold and the car has been outside all night.
    You will love it and hate it all at once!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

A J. Liebling wrote an article about Chicago titled, 'Second City' which was published in The New Yorker in 1952. A University of Chicago educated troupe chose that self mocking name for their new entertainment group. At that time, Chicago was second in population to New York.

Linda, you said that Chicago trails a number of coastal cities in ethnic diversity and the availability of diverse foods. How do you define eth diversity-by the percentage of the population? first or second or third generation? I would agree that the west coast cities likely have a greater availability of Asian foods due to a larger proportion of Asian people on the coast, but not necessarily a larger number of diverse groups. There is no basis for your sweeping statements. But then comes the fighting words. How in the world did you get that Chicago is a second city because you claim greater diversity in other cities?

For the greater part of U.S. history, Chicago was second in population to New York. Nothing at all to do with food, cultures, groups, diversity, nada.

Oh, oh, oh, also Chicago bills itself as the largest Polish city outside of Poland! Can Seattle/Portland, etc., even come close? (She says tongue in cheek)
    Philadelphia? Huh? I lived there for some months on an expense account and there are some gems, but not remarkable.

All fish and seafood are pricey in Chicago, not just seafood. Most likely due to the short shelf life and quick ship requirements compared to meats and poultry.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Kohl's Childrens Museum moved from Evanston to Glenview a few years ago. It's great fun.

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

Oh and you need to learn words like "Fender berg" and "Slirt" and salt stains on your boots and not to wash your car when the temperature is below zero or your locks will freeze, and the phenomenon of "square tires" when it's very cold and the car has been outside all night.

I have lived here 20 years and don't know about most of this. Please explain LOL.

I do have Uggs but my kids who still have growing feet most definitely do not. My Uggs are 15 years old and still going strong - no salt stains and they're black so I am sure they would show if there were any.

Wait, but I'm a suburban mom and don't walk much in slushy downtown streets, could that be why?

Oh, and if you're looking for new Uggs and care about such things, Uggs are no longer made is Australia or NZ. Yup, they are now made in China. I bought my daughter's "Uggs" (different brand but same Ugglies look) from a small shoe store in New Zealand a friend told me about and which was willing to ship internationally.

My good advice would be to dress in layers as some buildings are WAY overheated in winter.

How old is your little guy? We have some great Museums in this here "Second" City. My kids love the Planetarium, The Science Museum, the kids Theater in Arlington Heights I think. When they were younger they loved the Children's Museum on Navy Pier and the fireworks in the evenings during summer. Oh, they STILL love Navy Pier on a warm Summer's Eve even if they have outgrown the Museum :)

Pick up a copy of Chicago Parent free from most child friendly stores or museums.

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

LC: Still in Northbrook, at Glenview border and I was just thinking of you this morning as I drove past Abt Electronics and Jolene's cafe.

Linda: I have lived here 50 plus years and have no clue what fender berg and slirt are. Square tires either? Now, the old car batteries did freeze up on sub zero nights but thankfully they are much better.

Westsider, you know your Chicago history. A person after my own heart. And have you tried H-Mart for seafood? Prices are not bad. And if you need Polish food, magazines, DVD, and gifts, head for my neighborhood.

So, anyone up for lunch meeting? We can give Dreamhouse advise on coats, boots, winter parking bans and lake snow. I might even be able to find a folding chair so she can claim her parking spot this winter.

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

New ones to me!

Fenderburg: That disgusting clump of ice, snow and slush that accumulates under your car's fenders behind the wheels during the winter months.
    "Sometimes when you hit a good pothole it'll knock the fenderbergs of your car."

For slirt, check the link. I am not sure what that has to do with either Chicago or winter, but maybe Linda can explain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slirt

• lindac
    13 years ago

slirt is a combined word from slush and dirt....it's that dark colored slightly icy stuff that accumulates at the edges of a street towards the end of winter. Sometimes it looks liks it's solid but it's not. It's made from a combination of exhaust fumes salt, motor oil, sand and ice. And if you wear light colored pants you will get that stuff on the bottom and it will take a lot of work to get it out.
    One memorable warm-ish late winter day I had a brand new white corderoy longish Calvin Klein skirt and went to a college basket ball game....and had to walk to get to the arena and splattered that black stuff all up the back of my skirt. I enzymed and soaked and bleached and even a year later I could still see a shadow of that stuff!
    Fender bergs can also fall off your car in the garage....and freeze and make it difficult to drive out the next day.

Square tires don't happen so much any more. That happens when you have corded tires and the car sits in the cold and the tires become out of round....and for the first 2 or 3 blocks feel bumpy when you drive until they warm up and again resume their round shape.
    AACK!! It's coming!!
    Linda C

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I do get salt stains on my black boots when walking to work, I overcame that by getting a pair of rubberized and waterproof boots, LOL, nice and warm and they wear like cast iron. I've linked them....

You don't have to get plaid, LOL, and mine are the black and green and red plaid, not exactly like these. Anyway, be sure they are warm, waterproof and don't have 3 inch heels. Truthfully, taller is better, snow will get down inside the cuffs, even if you tie them tightly, if you get out into the snow and off the sidewalks or roads. And if your feet are cold and wet, you're gonna be cold and wet.

Peppi, never heard of "slirt" either, although we do have "fenderbergs". No square tires here either, but I do know not to knock that chunk of fender ice off the Jeep while it's in the garage because it makes a mess and is hard to back over.

Oh, and be sure to be an "emergency" kit in the car if you dress up and go anywhere. Take your dress heels, but stick gloves, boots and leggings in the back seat, just in case!

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Boots

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

ooooooooh, Peppi. Memememememe, me, me!!!! I wanna do lunch again. I miss you all.

I'm not working right now so anytime is good for me My commitments are just a few art classes at my kids schools one Thursday a month.

Let's get something on the calendar before all the snow comes and we have to deal with fenderbergs, slirt and square tires.

Jolene's was really nice but I'm open if you have other great suggestions.

Annie, I LOVE those boots. My dd may just get those added to her birthday pile.

Oh, and keep your AAA membership up to date or drive a 4 wheel drive SUV. I've gotten stuck in at least one snow drift EVERY.YEAR. My current car is 4-wheel drive but I needed someone to show me how to turn it on and rock out of the drift. Hope I remember how to do it this year. Stupid backing out of driveways after the snowplow goes past. LOL

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Ilana, if she wears a 5 or a 7, they're on sale for $38, and that's a deal, believe me.

Annie

• dreamhouse1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, now....the more I learn, the more I get lost! Why the heck do I need a folding chair for a parking space??

I'm familiar with Uggs, my daughter has some, but I was a bit concerned about the wet part of winter destroying them. I've worn them and they are warm, of course, that was in Houston ;) They are light colored, so I guess now she will need them in black...ha, won't she be delighted!

Little guy is 10 as is his sister. They are so excited about the snow they can hardly stand it. There is a pond behind our house that the neighborhood cleans off and they all ice skate out there. So, of yeah, need ice skates too!

Fenderbergs, slirt and square tires, oh my! Hoping my car will be good and the garage is heated. I'm told the streets get plowed around here.

I'm in the southwest area: Orland Park/Frankfort/Mokena. A nice community among cornfields and farms. Very picturesque and homey.

Did any one see Bobby Flay's Throwdown at Malnatti's today? That pizza looked some yummy, but nothing like a Texas pizza for sure! Got to get over there soon......but before I go, I'm ordering those boots and gettin a coat....and a scarf and mittens and hats and shovels and....I gotta go, there's shopping to do!

Thanks to all!!!!

• lindac
    13 years ago

And my best advice for snow drifts is.....don't drive into them!! LOL!!

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

Linda but a girl's gotta get out of her driveway - there's shopping to do and kids to get and the dog needs to go to the groomer and the hairdresser is waiting and dinner (or lunch) with friends. I am SURE I can get over that HUGE pile of snow at the end of the driveway without a problem after all I've done it before ;)

Dreamhouse, are your kids twins? I have twins that turn 11 next week. OH MY, how time flies!

• lindac
    13 years ago

Loves2cook...
    When the plow's come through....no way!! LOL!
    I live alone....and If I get stuck....it's me and a shovel....no DH no kids....so I am very careful not to go where I can't go...
    Also....remember...gun it!!!!LOL! Make a run and blast through!!

• annie1992
    13 years ago

See, that's why I drive a Jeep, LOL. The city plows my driveway shut and I just reach down and pull that 4 wheel drive lever up. I don't go through, I go OVER!!! (grin)

You know you can tell a Michigan girl because she can drive 80 MPH in a blinding snowstorm and not flinch....

Annie

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

LOL Linda. I try. It doesn't always work.

Do I recall you have family out in Long Grove?

We have to plan a get together next time you're in town...Peppi?

I go past Orland Park on the way down to Champaign to visit ds. It's far but not so far we can't all get together. Peppppppppiiiiiiiii, you're in the middle.

• lsr2002
    13 years ago

Both Max and I grew up in Chicago (in the city) and then spent twelve years in Champaign-Urbana before we moved to Boulder. I'm loving reading this thread. We haven't had family living in Chicago for a number of years and only made a three day trip at the end of January when we had the sad reason of taking my DMIL back for burial in Des Plaines. It was COLD, so I agree with all the posts about winter gear.

I smiled about the folding chair. It's to reserve a parking space for a car, the thought being that everyone for whom it is not intended will respect it's placement. Sometimes restaurants do that for special customers, and sometimes on residential streets, people put a chair out to save a space for a guest. You may also have someone approach you who is standing in the only space left on a snow filled block and ask you would like to have the space shoveled out. You might encounter kids who would like to paid to "watch" your car while you make a brief stop at a store in an "adventurous" neighborhood. We always gave them something and never had a problem.

I need a reason to come back for a real visit - when the weather is good! I think Chicago is one of the most wonderful and vibrant cities in our country.

Lee

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Hi dreamhouse, everyone has given their excited information. I'll just add a tad.

Light colored Uggs? Buy or borrow the spray---which hopefully will keep them a bit cleaner. Uggs spray... I don't know that black Uggs will do. My dd and her pals had chestnut---with the spray. People of a certain age, as in 11 to 23, kind of ignore the damage that weather can or will do. (Or those that work very, very hard for those $200 Uggs. from a Disney book)

Yes, all these comments remind me of our winters, but you have to spend some time here before before they become crappy. For the first some years, it's not so cold, or hard to get somewhere,,but I am 70, have been here all my life, and it sucks. My compadres go where it is warm...they are smart. Up until now, I've stuck around as I have a younger husband who still works(someone has to) but this year I will go somewhere warm. stupid not to.)

The old worry wart thinks----make sure the pond is really frozen over before the kids go skating on it, or playing on it. Keep that in mind. Oh mg, dont mean to make you crazy, too.

Winter is fun, pretty and special if you are from Texas. Enjoy. Be smart.

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

Ilana, I will give you a call and we can start to plan something. Dreamhouse and Westsider, are you in for a CF meeting? My first two weekends in October are booked already.

DH1, the chair reference goes back to the blizzard of 78/79. We had snow pile up higher than you can toss it with a shovel and the city could plow. Our Canadian freinds sent us some heavy duty plows to clear the streets. All alley garbage pick up was stopped so we took the trash to our offices. So...once you had a parking space cleared in front of your house, people started to put furniture in the spot to save it. The un-needed lawn chair as well as dinette sets became a common sight and the tradition has continued. Heaven help the person that took your nice clean spot!

And one perk of winter is the outdoor fridge/freezer. Hosting the holidays or a party? Put the beer, wine, sodas and cold foods on the patio or in the cold garage! Instant chilling. Need to freeze something fast? If the temps are below 20, out the door it goes.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I'm 55 and spent my whole life in Michigan and I still love the winter. I put on my coat, gloves and boots and walk to work on the snowiest of days, and I drive a Jeep Wrangler so I can get around if I have to. I consider shoveling snow part of my winter exercise program, LOL.

Elery would like to go somewhere warm every winter, I'd rather not. Of course, we're both still working, so it's 2 weeks, not 2 months.

Truthfully, I dislike summer. Hot, humid and sticky, the only way it's tolerable is to get close to The Lake.

And that's the other great thing about Chicago, it's right on Lake Michigan. World class beaches and nothing in the water that wants to sting you, bite you or eat you. Just watch for rip currents when it's stormy and let the surfers have the place when the waves are 8 feet or bigger...

Annie

• dreamhouse1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

loves2cook4six, yes they are twins turning 11 in April. Big sis will be 16 in May (yikes! did I just say 16!!)

Westsider, the frozen pond thing has me on edge too. I'm told it's been done for years without a problem, but I will be on the sidelines with a rope just in case.

Annie, so funny about the things in the water. My youngest daughter has a huge fear of the critters in the water. We spent 5 weeks in Miami (yes, originally we were moving there, but at the last minute it became Chicago!) and it took me a week+ to get her in the water. The last week we were there she got into a school of bait fish that were jumping across the water. Oh my the screams! She about clawed her poor brother to death and I swear she WALKED (ok, ran) on water. The ocean is out for her for a while so when she realized that the 'ocean' she was looking at was really a lake she was thrillllled!!!

So sounds like a Chicago get together may be happening????.....

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Dear Pkramer, Thanks for the invite but I am going to Az on Oct 2 for an unknown period of time. Old daughter's new condo needs attention and I'm going there to help. Plus, I don't cook much any more. Have fun.

• sissyz
    13 years ago

Dreamhouse,
    Born and raised Northsider, spent the last 20 years in Memphis, TN. We were transferred back just 2 years ago to an area about an hour from Frankfort, IL.
    You will surely miss your barbeque, make sure you can get it shipped to ya!
    On a snowy day, before you pull into your garage, get out and knock the blocks of ice off your vehicle. Those things create huge messy puddles in the warm dry garage!
    You can, indeed, scrape the kernels from the cobs of Illinois sweet corn and dump right into freezer bags. Wonderful stuff!! (Look for Mirai brand-extremely high sugar content, if you like it!)
    Right now, get the kids out to one of the wonderful apple orchards. Pick u a bushel of apples and plan a weekend of baking! Don't forget the haunted corn maze, and apple cider donuts while you're out there!
    Frankfurt is a great progressive town with a good school system and wonderful community market!
    We've been to the Brazilian steakhouse in Orland, my son called it the meat parade!! It was very nice.
    Speaking of Orland, you better get out there to the mall and pick up some winter gear. Seriously.
    The cold arrives and it stays. Not just the cold, but it is snowy and wet.
    When you go to Schaumburg for LegoLand, be sure to stop at Trader Joes and stock up on the frozen burritos.
    One more note--at least it was true for me, I burned thru all my long distance minutes the first time it was -10 with a 30mph wind. Still, after 2 winters back here, it's depressing to me and I was raised in it!!
    When winter comes, you might miss your Houston weather, just be ready. Keep the kids busy, when we transferred back, I had a 16 year-old and it was hard on him. He's at the U of Illinois, now.
    OH!! and the property taxes!!?? How's that treating ya!!?? SHEESSH!!! We pay 300% more here than we did in Memphis!!

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

Raised my kids in Oak Park and when they were in high school they all knew how to navigate the city on the 'L' (and BTW, I let them) Once they graduated from college, each and every one of them got a job/apt. in the city. All are now married with kids and realize the city is no place to raise children - so two live in the 'burbs', one in New York, and one is a 'Yooper'. I enjoyed the city while I was raising them since we went there (16 miles from Oak Park) regularly. I had never lived near a city before - was a country girl and couldn't wait to get back to the middle of nowhere.

I don't miss the sounds of cars/trains/planes/loud parties/etc. The experience was good but I sure wouldn't want to live my life in that chaos. Chicago is a great place to visit and see the sights and sounds - wonderful restaurants but it sure isn't for everyone.

Dreamhouse, you said you live in the 'area'. I only know the near and far west sides, and Oak Park was fine but it was "city-lite" - still too much busyiness for me. We moved to Naperville once the kids were grown and it was a great place until we could no longer afford the property taxes. That was why we left Oak Park in the first place.

Difficult to retire in a place where your property taxes are more than your retirement income-- forget it if you also have a mortgage. So, enjoy the area while you can. You are getting wonderful info here.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Dreamhouse, that's one of the great things about Lake Michigan. We're at the top of the food chain swimming in there, the salmon stay mostly deep, they like the cold.

Your daughter is perfectly safe from predators in Lake Michigan, LOL. Oh, and take her to the aquarium, the glass wall makes it look like you're sitting right in the Lake, almost.

Annie

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

I have to share... These are from our boat trip out on the Lake a few weeks ago.

This is my dd, captaining the boat:
    {{gwi:1569761}}

and these are our hosts. They are swimming off the back of the boat while she was in her slip at Benton St Harbour. The water was crystal clear and not too cold but definitely we didn't see anything but ducks in it.

{{gwi:1569762}}

• jojoco
    13 years ago

I live in upstate NY, but am probably kissing cousins to Chicago, weather-wise. (Last year we had over 300 inches of snow...)
    We get snow every day here. A few pointers: If you look good, you probably aren't warm. I would invest in a knee-ish length down parka. I found a great selection at Lord & Taylors last Novemeber at great sale prices.

If your toes are cold, you will be miserable. Invest in great boots. Uggs are good, as are the Bearclaw brand. Oh, and warm boots can look good--have fun shopping. Also, mixing a tbs or so of white vinegar in a cup of warm water will take off salt stains on leather boots.

Keep a snow brush in your car, and if Chicago is anything like upstate NY, driving after a storm is no big deal as the road crews are amazing at clearing roads quickly. Unfortunately for my kids, this means school is rarely cancelled due to snow.

Good luck.
    Jo

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

L2C46, now you're talkin', SAILBOATS, etc. is one of the great things Chicago has to offer (SOME of the year, lol!). I adore the Shedd Aquarium, especially the architecture and the marine mammal exhibit/show. The whole thing is a replica of the Pacific NW habitat, very cool. And I love the other three museums, the Art Institute and the Museum of Natural History and Science and Industry. Best I've ever been to and I've been to all the NYC ones and Berlin and LA and Philly's museums. Check out Indiana Dunes while the weather is still nice, and the historic farmstead there. It's probably a good hour from you, but well worth the trip. I lived outside of Chicago for the majority of my life, (In MI, but Chicago was THE place to go) and I have a close friend living in Evanston. My people were from the south side, that's where they emigrated to from Russia, but later moved to Skokie when they got prosperous.

As for clothes, the key is LAYERS! I'm partial to the good stuff, it wears well, like gortex and other waterproof coatings for windbreakers (always with a hood because you never know!). Then wool for sweaters and coats, along with down and polartec or thinsulate. Mix and match. Silk and cotton for the longjohns, at least on the inside. There are nice boots but they are pricey, but you will not regret it. I have a nice wool lined leather pair, a heavy duty thigh high pair, and a pair with rubber bottoms for slush and mud season. Don't skimp on the soles, and you want SEWN uppers to the soles, will not come unglued with all the wetness. IMHO, a good set of foot gear is the most important winter survival and ENJOYMENT accessory. If my feet aren't happy the rest of me isn't happy! And a good hood. To heck with hat hair, I want to be comfortable! My friends call me Nanook of the North! But I can go outside and enjoy myself ANY TIME! The secret is to accept it, EMBRACE it!

• annie1992
    13 years ago

LOL, Lpink, spoken like a true Michigan girl. (grin)

I agree on the layers, and check out my boss's favorite layer, UnderArmour. She loves the stuff, I haven't tried it because I don't get as cold as she does.

Hat hair? (shrug) Mine's already styled by gravity and the prevailing winds...

Annie

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida