SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronwynsmom_gw

My peculiar screen name

bronwynsmom
15 years ago

Just had a thoughtful message from Maryliz, and first let me say that I never even noticed that she had spelled my screen name a little differently. I am not sensitive about it, and often sign "Bmom" myself, because it's a pain to type the whole bloomin' thing. No harm, no offense, don't give it a thought!

Now I am headed off topic...

"Bronwyn" is an old Welsh name not commonly used...we all know "Gwyneth" (also a Welsh name) because of Gwyneth Paltrow, and I suspect it's only a matter of time before somebody named "Bronwyn" becomes a celebrity, and it won't seem rare any more.

Welsh is a lovely, odd, impossible, half-gutteral and half-musical Celtic language. Gwyneth is actually spelled "gwynedd" in older forms...the "dd" has the "th" sound in Welsh. I don't speak the language myself, but Wales runs all through my ancestry. It's still spoken as the first language among many Welsh people. There is an annual festival of Welsh language, music, and poetry every year called the Eisteddfod, in which there are druidic ceremonies, and the winner of the Welsh language epic poetry competition is treated like a rock star. Welsh people are famously musical, and wonderful harmony singers. How can one not be charmed by this! I've added a link to the site in case you find this interesting, and you can see what written Welsh looks like. No one can pronounce these things unless they are native speakers!

And that's more than you ever wanted to know! I never talk about my family or my private life on line, but thought this might be interesting to some of you, since Wales is still not well known even in this increasingly small world, and we all choose such individually meaningful screen names.

Here is a link that might be useful: Welsh National Eisteddfod

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County