SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodel_mama

1912 Edwardian - border in hardwood floor (pics)

remodel-mama
13 years ago

We are having new hardwood floors installed in our 1912 Edwardian. We want to maintain the original style of the house and plan to have a double border (inlay) going around the perimeter of the room. In the original floor, the border went around the perimeter of each room, going across doorways. Here are a couple of pics of the original floor:

In our remodel, we have made a 10' opening between the kitchen and the dining room. Somehow it seems strange to run a border all the way around the dining room; and a separate border all the way around the kitchen. It will mean we will have 4 lines (since they are double borders) under the opening. (Although that's what we had originally between the living and entrance; and the entrance and dining room... so maybe that is fine??)

Would it be better to have the border run along the perimeter of the rooms, but not across the doorways/openings? To help explain the issue, I tried to draw the different options (no laughing at my drawing - I'm not much of an artist anyway and it's late ;)

Anyone out there have any suggestions? Of course my DH is meeting with the floor guy tomorrow to finalize the design (!)

Thanks!

Comments (12)