SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

About flying on those airplanes...

rosemaryt
16 years ago

The other thread got me to thinking about flying and I wanted to ask if anyone else doesn't like airplane travel...

Personally, I really, really, really don't like flying. It's a means to an end and since two of my children live in St. Louis and I live in Norfolk, it's better than driving the 16 hour trip. Ick.

When I'm way up on that airplane, speeding through the skies at 500 mph and I look out the window to the terra firma that is a full seven miles straight down, my stomach does flips. I meditate, I pray and I use my best coping skills to endure that time but I tolerate it. I don't like it. Yet I seem to end up in airplanes several times a year.

But man oh man, I'm not a fan of flying. It's not so much about the fear (but that is a minor element) as it is the physical discomfort. I do not like heights and I don't like being cramped up in an airplane. I don't think it's motion sickness, it's just - I don't feel comfortable so high up in the sky and so cramped up.

I'd love to hear if there are others who share my opinion of flying...

Rose

Comments (43)

• jennmonkey
    16 years ago

I HATE flying. I avoid it if at all possible. I don't feel safe (no matter what the statistics say) and I don't feel comfortable being that high off the ground.

I also hate standing in lines with rude, annoyed travelers, being shoved into a cramped plane, being seated next to someone with a pound of perfume on, or talking my ear off, or next to a screaming kid, with NO escape!

I'm just not cut out for flying, obviously, LOL!

I will do it if I absolutely have to, or if I have the opportunity to travel somewhere overseas, but otherwise, I'm a big fan of the road trip. :)

• phyllis__mn
    16 years ago

Oh, I like to fly....I don't like the way my ears plug and I can't hear a thing when they start the descent hundreds of miles from the airport, but I've learned to live with it.
    I like getting places quickly, and I even don't mind airports.....I'm a people watcher.

• Related Discussions

For Those Of You Whose Ears Hurt When You Are Flying...

Q

Comments (7)
    trudymom do a search on the "valsalva maneuver". I use it when I fly and it keeps my ears clear. I get terrible pressure build up in my ears - particularly when pilots descend too quickly. have someone who uses the maneuver show you how to do it since it is a little weird - but it does work.
    ...See More

Game - use two post titles -

Q

Comments (17)
    I bet doctors hate it when they hear ... Whatever happened to the grave in the backyard? Dinner tonight? ... Dying bats and dying bees You know you're drinking too much coffee when ... The pain is soooo intense
    ...See More

question about flying

Q

Comments (17)
    Watch out for suspicious stuff you might have stuffed in your pockets. There is a limit to the blade length of a pocket knife, and these days, any knife might not be allowed. Check before hand with the airline. If you carry on a computer, tablet, cell phone, etc., insure that it is fully charged. They may require you to boot up a laptop to prove it is a working device. Malfunctioning computers in need of repair may be confiscated. Its a good idea to have a spare, charged, battery in your computer bag. If you have a delay, you might wish to entertain yourself with your laptop and that spare battery could come in handy if you suddenly need to get into the check-in line.
    ...See More

Spanish Fly - Question about limestone

Q

Comments (13)
    Well now you cause me to want to try it. I see a lot of people grow Haworthias in that, especially red and I like to how looks too. Decorative top dressing can take attention away from the plant in my eyes. I've been trying some Pumice/Perlite/Vermiculite (not much of the latter) which looks nice, but near white isn't my favorite. If nothing else, lava could be a good top dressing.
    ...See More
  • grammahony
    16 years ago

I hate flying too. And I have a daughter who lives in California. I guess Mom and I'll be going out there for Easter. I have to take something to calm my fears before I'll get on the plane.
    And getting out of Omaha and into LA is easy. It's coming back that is a pain in the butt. Almost as bad as Las Vegas.
    Leslie

• mary_c_gw
    16 years ago

I don't mind flying - and I certainly like getting to the destination in hours rather than days.

I agree, though, it can be uncomfortable. But I've flown enough that I know what I need to make a better flight for myself, and take those things along.

• JoanMN
    16 years ago

I HATE it.
    JoanMN/FL

• alisande
    16 years ago

I don't like it either. For a long time I flew several times a year, but the more I did it the less I liked it. The last time I was on a plane was in 1996, when I flew home from Florida after selling my parents' house after they died. Since then I've been one of what I used to think of as "those lucky people on the ground."

Susan

• socks
    16 years ago

I was going to say I don't know of anyone who likes to fly, but now I know two people: Phyllis and Mary!

I think it's miserable. Just uncomfortable in just about every way you can think of. However, I'm not as nervous as I used to be about it.

Rose, sounds like you have it under control. It helps to busy yourself with a crossword puzzle, knitting, reading, electronic games, etc. Suck Lifesavers, and don't look down! LOL!

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I don't mind the actual flying part. What I really hate is the crowds, waiting in endless lines, annoying irritating people (both customers and staff) and all the hassles associated with flying today.

The way to travel that I really enjoy is by train. I wish they had trains like they did in the 1930s - 50s. You could go anywhere in comfort. That is my style.
    Clare

• ronf_gw
    16 years ago

Well, someone has to be the oddball here. It might as well be me.
    I love flying and have been fascinated with it for as long as I can remember. As a child, occasionaly in the late Summer, I'd hear the distinctive sound of a crop duster spraying a field of sweetcorn before harvest. I would jump on my bike and race off hoping to reach the field before he was finished. In college a friend of mine was into skydiving so I made 3 jumps that Summer. My cousin had a little 4 seater Cessana that he would land in the hay field and take me up in. On a commercial flight I'll sit with my nose pressed to the window the entire time just to watch the terrain pass by.
    The absolute best present ever was 4 hours of flying lessons given to me by Duckie. I dream of someday owning an ultralight.
    I'm mesmerized by anything that involves getting my feet off the ground.

Ron

• kathy_
    16 years ago

I never flew until 2 years ago. I was always afraid to fly.
    We went to Arizona and saw the Grand Canyon. Last year we went to California - Hollywood and Malibu. In March we are heading to San Antonio.
    The first trip, I talked to a man in line who flies all the time. He buys art and resells it and he was fascinating. I stood there in line thinking - he does this ALL THE TIME. He is not afraid so I should not be either.
    Now I love to fly! I think I like night flying the best though and looking at all the lights.
    When it is my time to go, I will go. I could have been killed eating my McDonald's salad today.
    We used to drive and have driven as far west as Utah and it is exhausting.
    I'm not sure where I want to go next year. Maybe Wisconsin??
    Kathy

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

I love to fly!
    Only part I do not like is the "takeoff" I just close my eyes and talk to the man above for a few.

Getting ready to fly in 16 days and received my documents for cruise and flight, today!
    My return tickets begin at 7 pm and ending at 10:52 pm.
    It was a pkg deal, and did not even think about the lateness of the returning flight. Always arrive back home late afternoon or early evening.

Soooooooooo after deliberating with travel agent, we decided for me to fork out an extra $100 to get a more decent flight. DONE!

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

I am laughing so hard at some of you and can't imagine what is so terrible about flying. Or even uncomfortable compared to sitting in a car for hours on end. I understand if there is fear of flying but don't understand just disliking it.

• patti43
    16 years ago

I'm not afraid, I just think it's boring. Plus, it seems like every time I fly I'm around someone sick and end up with a cold or worse.

I've also been on a flight from Salt Lake City to Atlanta with a 5 or 6 year old sitting behind me kicking my seat constantly. Early in the flight I stood up and nicely asked the child/parents to please not kick the seat. Fat lot of good that did!!

I used to travel for work and that'll turn you off forever.

• kathy813
    16 years ago

I have never been on an airplane. Guess you can tell I'm not well traveled.

• LorifromUtah
    16 years ago

If time isn't a factor I'd rather drive but I don't mind flying. Can't say I hate it but I don't love it either. I usually have a bad sinus headache the next day.

But I commiserate with those who are afraid of flying or just hate it. Hopefully it is not something you have to endure frequently?

lori

• maryanntx
    16 years ago

I love flying!!! I always want a window seat because I love to watch during take off and landing and even when we are miles up. My brother had his pilots license, but I never went up with him. I would have loved to, but never got the opportunity.

Of course my favorite way of traveling, if I have plenty of time, is by motorcycle.

• intherain
    16 years ago

I was fine with flying until we had a very bad experience....way back in 1982. We flew across country on a very stormy day. We hit many, many thunderstorms. Suddenly, the plane dropped quickly in altitude and swayed back and forth. It steadied a bit, and then dropped again. We all got down in that "survival" position with our head between our knees. I really thought we were going to die. Ever since then (and that was a long time ago, 1982), I've HATED to fly. Oh, I've flown many times since then, but with extreme fear. I envy anyone who can walk on a plane without fear. I wish I had never had that horrible experience.

Sheryl

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

If you're really worried, the place for concern is much more serious when landing than taking off, I think.

But - if you want to graduate your level of worry relative to the real dangers that you face ...

... don't walk across the street ...

... don't ride in a car!

Your possibility of one being killed per 100,000 person-miles travelled is far greater in a car.

Why doesn't that bother us? We're used to it - we do it every day. And, as we pass under an underpass, we give no consideration to the damage that'd be caused to our head should the front of our car hit it, prior to appreciable braking.

Plus ... your possibility of incurring a major disability that will cause serious disruption of your ability to live your life as unimpeded as now is even greater, far greater, in either of those two scenarios. Far more people seriously injured than killed, in those situations.

But, when flying, the ratio of total death to serious injury is higher.

Also ... tell yourself that you're riding in that metal tube called a subway car ... or a bus, how be?

Further - don't go to bed - a lot of people die there.

Don't spend time in the kitchen - many people die there, as well.

When I was a kid, many people avoided going to the hospital if they could - that's where many people that they'd known had gone to die.

If we want to get worried - let's get worried about things where we're really at risk.

Far more people are killed annually in the western world by guns than by terrorists - but do they ban guns? Most don't.

Let's worry about things that should really frighten us.

ole joyful

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

I hate flying too and I'm a flight attendant! I don't like it for the same reasons you don't and more. After 9/11 we got 33% pay and benefit cuts. It's much harder to make a living and all of us fly a lot of extra hours. We do not get paid for boarding an aircraft or any delays while on the ground. If a flight cancels we also lose the pay and have to try and make it up. Passengers can be very demanding and take out their bad day on us. The work days are very long and we don't get any breaks or food. I leave my house at 5:00am and usually get home at 10:00pm the same day.
    So why don't I quit? I'm 53 and am too close to retiring so I stick it out. I hope I get a pension, most airline employees have lost theirs due to bankrupcy.
    Donna

• secsteve
    16 years ago

I used to love flying back IN THE GOOD OLD Days, when a passenger was treated better. Last time I flew I was so disgusted I swore never again unless it was absolutely, positively necessary. Counter person was rude, flight attendants (I'm sure you're not organic donna)were just as bad and the "meal" was lousy.

I remember the days when airlines went out of their way to accomodate passengers and did things like pay when you had to switch to another airline due to a delay, put you up in a motel if necessary and were almost always pleasant to deal with. Not anymore.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

Definately not a fan of flying.

The wierd thing is...I get a backache when I fly. Go figure. Maybe it is from sitting so "tense". LOL!

Gayle

• cindyb_va
    16 years ago

The big cause of my fear of flying is claustrophobia. Once I realized what the real issue was, it actually took the edge off a bit.

So, I taught myself to enjoy it. I purposely board the plane as late as possible. When pushback happens, I tell myself, nothing can be done now, so might as well relax and enjoy it.

When we take off, I try to identify landmarks around the airport/city. As we travel, I look at a map and try to figure out what city we are flying over now. I watch the geography change, what mountains are those? What river/lake is that?

In other words, I try to take my mind of the truth of the matter, that I am 5 miles above the earth in an aluminum tube.

I find that reading on the plane actually makes me more uneasy (maybe it is the subtle, inflight movement). Try an iPod with a nice music mix. One of my favorites is Aaron Copeland. Listening to Copeland's Appalachian Spring, while looking down at the patchwork of farmed fields is truly a spiritual experience.

If we encounter turbulance (and we almost always do on the East Coast), I simply close my eyes and imagine I am going 30mph down a gravel road in an old pickup truck...pretty much the same feeling.

When initial approach occurs, I try to remember all the steps that happen between that and touchdown. I listed as the flight attendants list the destinations and gates of my fellow passengers (wonder who is going to Vegas? who is going to DesMoines?).

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

I usually take at least 2 road trips a year...one 600 miles and another 1,000 miles. I thoroughly enjoy the road trip whether I'm alone or I have a traveling partner. I just love the scenery, the drive, stopping anywhere and everywhere at places of interest and to eat. If there is a traveling partner, we might take turns napping along the way...or reading, or just catch up on visiting.

I haven't flown in years, but suspect as many of you say, the lines are long and folks are disgruntled.

Just how early is one to be at the airport b4 one's flight takes off? The airport is one hour away, so if I was flying I'd likely allow 2 hours driving time just to assure getting there.

Sue

• akup_a
    16 years ago

I'm usually over at the garden junk forum but fentured outside my box today and saw this post. I'll be flying to New York in March. It's been twenty years since I've flown.
    I enjoy the flying, it's all the other stuff like, crowds, rude people, what is allowed and not allowed, where I can and can't go, etc. that bothers me. Just thinking about having to deal with all that in March makes my stomach knot. Thankfully, I'll be traveling with a friend who flies frequently and can follow her directions.
    akup_a

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

No, I don't like flying. Mostly due to being pregnant in 1987 the last time, sitting in a hot plane for over an hour with mechanical problems, then having to walk all over Charlotte airport from airline to airline to get a standby flight to Atlanta to get back to Cleveland, then having a plane taken out of service(mechanics had been checked)but the inside hadn't been cleaned. Stuck to the carpet in the isle every trip to the bathroom. Never liked take off and landing, but until then had enjoyed being in the air. Now I don't want any part of it.

My preference? Besides the motor home, AMTRAK!!!!!! In fact, taking the train to Rutland, VT the end of the month.

Tami

• Kathsgrdn
    16 years ago

I don't like to fly, worse parts are taking off and landing because that's when planes usually CRASH! I know the odds of dying in a car crash are so much higher but at least I have some control over MY car and I try and stay away from the idiots on the ground. I have no control over the airplane, pilot or mechanics who may not have done something they were supposed to do.

Kids kicking the back of the seat all during the flight are a pain in the butt too. I either try and sleep or read so once I'm in the air I'm ok, until we land...then I've got a death grip on the armrests.

When I was in the Air Force I asked for an incentive flight in one of our F-16s. I got it but all I thought about the whole time was crashing, and made sure I had my hand near the ejection handle! Didn't help that the jet was broke just before I got on it and they almost cancelled my flight because they didn't know if they'd get it fixed in time. We went up late. I also get motion sick so was dry heaving the whole time I was up there. Dramamine doesn't work as good on little bitty planes.

• sjerin
    16 years ago

I think 90% of my women friends also have the same fear of flying that I do. I'm that annoying person next to you that so hopes you'll talk to her, and so take her mind off her fear. I finally succumbed to taking a Vallium before I get to the airport and that really does help take the edge off, without making me loopy. My sister on the other hand, feels drunk and ill when she takes one so it doesn't work for her. Two of my kids love to fly and one is like me and it is she who gave me "Ask the Pilot" by Patrick Smith a few years ago. Have I read it all? No! Keep thinking I will, but I know my fear is irrational and mostly I fear shoddy mechanics. But then I remind myself that the pilots don't want to die either, and the company definitely doesn't want anything to happen. I try to fly Southwest because seeing and hearing friendly faces helps me. I try to sit in an aisle seat and in such a place where I can see the flight attendant's face as we're taking off and landing.

• dances_in_garden
    16 years ago

I am not afraid of flying anymore. I used to be one of those white knucklers. It was one of the phobias that disappeared with the Paxil and never came back after I stopped taking it.

But I do agree about the long waits, long treks from point to point in the terminals dragging luggage and stuff, and since I cannot afford to fly in the style I think I deserve - finding space for myself and my few belongings at the very back of the plane in the cheapest seat before the bathroom ;).

My favourite part is the actual takeoff. And I like the landings too. I get a little motion sick while "driving" around on the ground to get to and from gates, and sometimes in the air if we are circling too much.

I find though that planes are very noisy - maybe it is just the pressurization but I can never hear anything.

I like to flip through that skymall catalog if I can. But at this point I have flown so often that I zonk out almost immediately (usually I wake up during acceleration for take off, then zonk again). A few times, upon a rougher landing, I have been startled awake and panicked for a moment before I realized what is going on ROFL.

• jannie
    16 years ago

Let's see, I've driven 500 miles in a day in a car, taken trains, taken buses and flown. Flying is definitely the easiest mode of travel. If you are nervous or fearful (or both) have a couple of drinks before you fly. Or bring a book or try to sleep during the flight. My favorite airline has satellite TV at each seat. It's pleasnt to watch TV,at least it passes the time. JMO.

• jennmonkey
    16 years ago

I think sitting in a car is much more comfortable than sitting on a plane. You have alot more room with more space between passengers. I also like the scenery of road trips. Plus, if you need to get out of the car for any reason you can pull over, you aren't stuck there. The only thing I think a plane has over a car is that it's faster, but I enjoy being in the car with friends, listening to music, chatting, the whole experience of a road trip. My friend and I are talking about driving from here (Seattle) to Alaska this summer and camping along the way!

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

I wish that we could say something that would help all of you worriers to relax and enjoy the trip.

Before you set out, have a look at your face in a washroom mirror, give yourself a wicked grin (even a wink, if you like) and tell yourself that everything will be O.K.

Part of our subconscious listens to what the other part says that our life and events are to be like and does its best to have those things come to pass. Have the controller part of your subconscious tell the manager to relax and have a good time, enjoying your experiences as you go.

The response?

"O.K., boss - we'll get right on it!".

And that's the way that you'll operate.

Hope this is a memorable day for you - for positive reasons.

ole joyful

• wildchild
    16 years ago

I cannot fall asleep in a car or on a train. Put me on a plane and unless I have someone to talk to I nod right off.

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

I like flying, I've never had an experience on a plane or in an airport that was so bad that it would color my whole outlook on it. I am practical about it, I expect an occasional delay or cancellation and try to go with the flow and not get irked by anything. Maybe I'm lucky, but when you think how many millions of people get moved around every week in a pretty timely fashion, it's amazing to me what a good job everyone is doing in all those airports.

And I would never ever take out my frustration on an employee, how pointless would that be? (We've been watching reruns of "Airline" on the BIO channel, some people are so rude and borderline insane, I feel sorry for airline personnel.) I've flown stand-by several times and even then had good experiences, as good as full-fare flyers. I think a lot depends on your expectations. I bring snacks, books, things to keep me busy in case of a delay. And I figure the odds are in my favor to have a very safe trip, so I don't worry one bit.

• paula_pa
    16 years ago

I don't mind being in the air, it's the hassle surrounding air travel that I despise. Having to factor in a lot of extra time just to get on the plane, dealing with cancellations and delays, dealing with lost luggage, etc. Air travel is not cheap so I don't think expectations should be low although I agree that's realistic.

I prefer driving trips. Leave at your leisure, stop for breaks at your leisure. No, I don't care to be stuck in a traffic jam but I prefer it to being stuck on a plane, on the tarmac.

• amicus
    16 years ago

Sheryl, unfortunately, I can totally relate to your experience. I too had no fear of flying and rather enjoyed it as a matter of fact, until I was in an emergency crash landing. Oddly enough, it was also in 1982, and I've never been comfortable on a plane since then. Thanks to our skilled ex-military pilot and a robust Canadian winter, we came down in a snowy field which slowed our breaking and prevented a fire. I won't refuse to fly, but if it would take less than a day to drive there, I'd rather go by car!

• lindaohnowga
    16 years ago

Prior to all the added security and prior to the no smoking, I enjoyed flying. I would still fly should there be an emergency, but prefer the privacy of our own car, enjoying stopping to see things along the way.

• orie
    16 years ago

The biggest coward when it comes to flying is me. Never used to be that way, it just happened one day. I think as I get older and pay more attention to the news and after having my DD, I have become a coward. Of course, 911 didn't help. Now, I do think that if I were in a situation where I had to fight off people like the brave folks in that 911 flight, I would! I think I would be so angry at what was happening that I would probably go "killer"! It's funny when I read Kathy's post say when it's your turn to go, it doesn't matter where you are.... then I hear my mom saying "Well, what if it's time for the guy next to me to go and I gotta go with him because I'm on his same flight! Funny! I don't hate it but I don't like it and fly very little, maybe every 3-4 yrs. This summer we'll be traveling to California for a family reunion. Did I try to get out of it... you betcha!

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

Dad used to say, "Don't sweat the small stuff".

Actually - I think that I heard that one elsewhere ... I doubt that it's really a quote from Dad - though it does represent his ways of thought.

Mine, too, I think.

There are lots of really big problems in the world that need our attention.

ole joyful

ole joyful

P.S. Am I repeating myself?

Maybe just like to see my name in print.

o j

• wine50
    16 years ago

In 1970 I was a student at Marshall University. I don't know if any of you saw the movie "We Are Marshall" which tells the true story of the plane crash that killed the entire football team and several business people in that town. I lost some good friends. Great movie, by the way if you haven't seen it. (Matthew McCoughney and Matthew Fox) Anyway, it was several years before I had the courage to fly. I have flown many many times since then and am always very apprehensive about the flight. I'll drive if it's under eight hours. However, back in those days it was quite different than now. I remember how everyone always "dressed up" a little to travel. Comfort was important to the airlines. I even looked forward to the little meals served. They were quite special...

• intherain
    16 years ago

Pickyshopper, I so understand. What a frightening experience for you! What made my experience worse was that the pilot NEVER got on the PA system afterwards to tell us what happened, to try to comfort us, to say ANYTHING. I think that would've made a world of difference. Fortunately most of us were belted in, since the seat belt sign had been on for most of the flight, but the flight attendants were trying to remove food trays when it happened. One FA hit the ceiling and hurt her leg badly. I just wish the pilots had tried to give us SOME kind of comfort, or tell us what was happening!

Sheryl

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

intherain,

Did you let the company know of your displeasure?

And what you felt would have alleviated your concern substantially?

I'm surprised that the pilot didn't - usually they seem to provide a substantial amount of information ... though I'm not much of an authority, as I seldom fly.

Enjoy it when I do, though.

I guess I have faith that things will go well.

Don't know how I'd react had I ever gone through a near-miss. But I do tend to not get upset over a number of things that seem to trouble others somewhat.

Good wishes for not only safe flying, but worry-free, as well.

ole joyful

• rosemaryt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did see the movie "We Are Marshall" and loved it. Powerful story and well done, but also very sad to think about such a horrific loss of life.

On a slightly different note, from 2003 to 2005, I flew almost once a month and I came to loathe it for all the reasons I mentioned in the opening paragraph. It is partly fear, but you'd think after all those flights I'd get used to it, but I haven't. I tolerate flying and that's it.

In 1996, I was on a Southwestern flight from Norfolk to Denver and we were preparing to land in Denver in the middle of severe thunderstorms. As we were landing (and not far from the tarmac) a tremendous burst of wind shoved the plane down toward the ground and gave us all a good jolt. The pilot goosed the two engines on that 737 and we went up at a very sharp angle, back into the skies. He flew over the airport and then tried to land again from the other side of the airport (and was successful).

It really was a terrifying experience and after that flight, it took me years to get over the feeling of terror and dread when I stepped on an airplane.

Thanks for the posts. I don't feel so alone. :)

Rose

• orie
    16 years ago

I agree with joyful... so many other things that can harm us... but I guess fear is irrational... and so am I!!! Yikes!