SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bspofford

Breaking career ties

bspofford
15 years ago

I need some feedback on this issue...

I 'retired' three years ago after working in the dental field for 40 years. My last position was as the administrator of a large children's clinic. Prior to that, I held management positions in dental insurance companies.

Over the years, I have acquired a fairly large business wardrobe of classic styles in skirt suits, pant suits, blazers, lots of silk, lots of wool. Last year I pulled all the suits out of the closet in my office/den/plant room. I tried on everything I considered keeping, and stacked up the rest on my cedar chest at the foot of my bed. Yes, you are right, it's still there. Dress for Success has become very picky in what they will accept, which surprises me. I know they are focused on providing 'interview aparrel' for low-income women, but these women need a wardrobe for after the interview too. So that at this point means they accept no blazers, no skirts, no dress trousers.

I think in the back of my mind I must have this little voice that says to try consignment shop, e-bay, or just donate it! For sure I don't want to spend the rest of my life with it at the foot of my bed!!

The second part of this comes about as a result of joining the office purge from another thread. I had some pretty prime desk real estate taken up by some of the 'management' books I've acquired over the years. I haven't looked at them in three years.

I have absolutely no intention of being gainfully employed again. I do not want nor need a J.O.B. and don't foresee any change in that.

So why do I hang onto the books, the wardrobe? I never have identified myself through my career, it just happened to be what I did (and enjoyed). Am I ready to part with that part of me, or for some oddball reason do I need to keep it.

My daily uniform is usually a tee shirt and shorts or jeans, depending on the season. Haven't had on panty hose but once since I quit working. Haven't missed it and actively avoid activities such as some volunteer work I was doing for some dental clinics and the local symphony.

Okay, gang, I need a push to get rid of this stuff.

Barbara

Comments (24)