SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enigmaquandry

Big siding decision! Removing vinyl from cedar.

enigmaquandry
12 years ago

I am COMPLETELY torn and really looking for some advice about our siding issue. We live in a 1950 cape cod in Illinois, it is currently sided with a horrible, cheap vinyl that is cracking, twisting and fading. However, it doesn't seem to bother anyone but me. I have been thinking for two years about our options. I truly love cedar but we are enormously under the gun when it comes to budget. I had FINALLY settled on Certainteed's vinyl shakes, I don't love vinyl but we could install it ourselves and the shakes are quite convincing. I was happy with the decision and just waiting till we could afford it.

HOWEVER, this week we were talking to a neighbor and he told us all the houses on our street were cedar sided with lap or shakes (they are ALL vinyl or aluminum now). So on a lark we peeled off some of the vinyl from the back of our house, cut out the foam layer and voila! The original, painted cedar shake siding is still there! The two issues are, they're not the cute little shakes most people think of, and that I personally prefer, they are the much larger, taller ones that resemble asbestos shingles. Secondly, I'm freaked out about committing to removing all the vinyl siding and possibly finding that the cedar is not in good shape, looks terrible, or is rotting away. We could not possibly afford to remove the vinyl, remove the cedar (which certainly has lead paint considering the age) and hire someone to re-side quickly.

I'm also concerned about our resale, are we ruining the perceived value of our home by revealing (clearly) worn cedar shakes?

I appreciate ANY insight into this, I'm completely out of my element when it comes to siding, I'm not even sure what to remove...around windows etc.

Comments (7)