SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Keep doing the same things over

Frankie_in_zone_7
12 years ago

Wrong things, I mean. I use lots of organizing tips and intermittently get things under control but then find I'm back at square one. Usually it boils down to drop-itis combined with put-off-itis--meaning, I think I am hanging up/putting away my clothes but then find, hmmm, didn't put away the dressy purse, put the shoes back in the box, didn't fold and put away the laundry. Kitchen and dining area same--clean up but leave out this and that, maybe a few things that go in other rooms. My study and hobby room--oh boy.

So then as they say in the Cat in the Hat--this mess is too big and too deep and too tall (or whatever!) to do in any one hour, or day, so then feel like, it will be okay if I just spend ...(insert: the weekend, the holiday, a day off) getting things picked up, get back on track. I do have a challenging job and it can have peak times with no breaks for days. And while I had housecleaning service a while back, I let that go so now need to both pick up and clean (I am thinking about taking the plunge again on cleaning service so can focus my energy on keeping up with the tidying but have the basic vacuuming/dusting done). So obviously the balance between my daily or weekly maintenance system and my daily ability to mess things up is not robust enough to keep up!

Has anyone else been there, done that? Just see yourself repeating the same pattern even though you think you are making progress.

I believe it's several issues, of course--one is I think I keep things too complicated --maybe need simpler wardrobe ( I won't win any awards for complicated high-fashion dressing, but I still seem to need to have the shorts for this but not that, pants for here but not there, change after work sometimes into casual vs. grubby, and on and on and, so it seems like constantly changing, hanging, folding); simpler cooking plan, fewer hobbies to dabble in, prolly a more streamlined life while working. When things are in perfect order, it seems okay to have alot of "stuff" and stuff that goes with stuff, and play with home decor, but I think that ultimately it is too easy (for me) to become unraveled, because so many things are used and need to be put away. Meaning, I seem to have the time and energy to either cook OR clean up, ya know? Or I could either read the magazine or rip and file it, but not both. A lot of my systems, when you look at them, are not nearly "simple" enough--like having only black socks for work and white socks for play!

Regarding stuff, be it clothes, home accessories, books, kitchen supplies--I wonder if it can be like alcoholism for some people--you think you can manage a certain amount of it, it all fits on your shelves, there is space for that tray from your MIL so why not add it to the 3 trays already there, or whatever-- but in fact you need to be much more rigorous--like you can't handle as much as you think you can or you don't recognize when you're over your limit, or something. That you have to cut much farther back than at first seems necessary or logical. That sounds odd, I know.

Second is, probably haven't ever done that "30 days to a good habit" or whatever approach--meaning, I keep thinking I'll do better at maybe 15 habits or things simultaneously and have not layered on one religious habit upon another.

Three is, as in some recent posts, I clearly overestimate how long some things take, so don't do quick simple 10-minutue jobs, and then underestimate how long it will take to do 20 of those jobs added up, later!

Four--and there has been some discussion on this--things never stay the same even when you've fixed them, so I think I underestimate that too--for example, an appliance or device is replaced and you have to clean out the old accessories, manuals. Maybe it doesn't fit in the same place so you have to shift storage around--whenever you do that, in my experience, it causes some temporary mayhem that you've not budgeted for.

I think if I read another book I'll faint, since they haven't fixed me yet! I mean, it's like I know all the things I am doing but like all bad habits, just keep on. But, maybe it's time to at least read through a couple again for re-inspiration. I even have the ones on "why you do what you do" and thought that helped but hmmm--back again.

Comments (5)