SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aml254

Allergies in Old House

aml254
16 years ago

I just purchased an older home. The first few times I was in there I attributed my allergies and stuffiness to the garage which did have a leak and some mold. We have now purchased the house and are now moving in and my allergies are going haywire. I can't be in the home for more than 5 minutes before a sinus headache begins. It has that older home smell which is what I think is causing it. If I open a closet I can feel it really hit me. Is there anythign I can do? I am buying some dehumidifier cans from Lowe's and I will probably use air purifiers. Will this work long term? I am worried that this may not be a problem of the previous owners not cleaniung or airing out the house properly, but a house problem. We had the outside where the water leak was tested formold. IT was positive for one harmful version that dies when you treat the moisture source. Our home inspection did not show any other leaks. The house is on piers. Any information would be great.I am very afraid to move into this house. I just want the old smell to go away and clean air to take its place. Thanks.

Comments (3)