SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

Tips for having garage sale with another person?

User
16 years ago

My neighbor wanted to have a garage sale & I told her I would help. I started getting my stuff together, pricing it, bagging it & putting it in the garage.

I went to her house yesterday & her garage is crammed with stuff that looks like it has been there for a long time, cobwebs, dust, dirt dauber nests on stuff. I asked her where she planned on putting stuff & she wanted to put all the furniture in the garage & the tables on the driveway.

I think we should put the big stuff on the driveway & the tables of glassware inside the garage.

Also, I asked her where she was going to put her more expensive items & she said she didn't have any & that I shouldn't bring anything over that might get stolen or broken because she didn't have anywhere safe for it.

Is there a way to keep the more valuable items (like pieces of china & old dishes) safe from kids?

And last, how do you keep track of the money for each person? I put white stick on labels on my stuff with my initials. So far she hasn't priced hers.

I went over today to try to help her clean out the garage & she was getting ready to leave so all I managed to do was move the furniture to an area to make it easy to move out of the garage. But the rest was bagged & boxed & I didn't know what was for the garage sale & what she was keeping so had to leave it alone.

Also, she has a couple of signs from a few years ago & wants to just cross out the info that won't be the same & rewrite the new stuff. I think we should put a new poster board on top of the old or at the least cover the old info with the same color piece of poster board & rewrite the new info in the correct spot to make it easy to see. Also we need more than two signs & I was going to use boxes & put some weight in them. Easier than trying to drive a stake into the ground & having the poster tear up from the pounding. What kind of signs work best & should they all be exactly the same? I was thinking of making them diamond-shaped & taping to the box to make them stand out.

Does this sound like it's going to be a disaster to anyone else?

Comments (13)