SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

garage sale and first time doing this.. Any tips/

ianna
8 years ago

Well I'm finally moving houses and need to unload a lot of things. First time ever I would be handling a garage sale. I'm not sure how to prepare for one other than set up signs and price the materials. Do you have any tips on how I should prepare?

Comments (41)

• susanjf_gw
    8 years ago

first and foremost be safe. do NOT allow anyone in your home unless more than one person/friend is with you. have dh, kids, friend(s) (who might want to do their goodies) be there with you...check your computer for items you're not sure of value...we had a lot of change, less in paper money and avoid checks, that can't be checked....

ianna thanked susanjf_gw
  • Related Discussions

Tips for newbies planting out for the first time...

Q

Comments (23)
    Floodthelast, last year I used an umbrella to shade some seedlings that were planted in June, during very hot dry sunny weather. This is not good weather for planting or transplanting anything, but can be done with careful watering and shading the plants for a few days. Make sure containers are watered well before planting time - this makes it easier to get the seedlings out and separate the roots. (Since I mostly plant those little babies individually, it really helps.) Seedlings can also benefit from a very dilute balanced liquid fertilizer. I'm strictly organic, so use liquid seaweed, about 1 tablespoon of the seaweed concentrate per gallon of watering can. This also feeds the soil micro-organisms. I've tried fish emulsion, but that attracted raccoons who would dig up the soil looking for the "fish". Seaweed doesn't attract critters. Some people use a diluted compost tea and say this works wonders for seedlings. I dug up an FAQ on this by trudi - Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing Seedlings and a Simple Explanation of N-P-K
    ...See More

Any Tips for Yard sale?

Q

Comments (11)
    Lindac, That was not the best one she pulled.... When we got the house there was an 1898, full sized Steinway concert grande piano, real black ebony wood finish and real ivory keys sitting in the living room. Our daughter toyed with the idea of learning to play it so I had a piano tuner come in, tune it up and check it out. The piano tuner wasa an old guy about 75yrs old. While working on the tuning process he says look here, I will show you something, and he removed a piece of paper that was held on the side of the cast iron harp by a little metal clip. He carefully unfolded the paper and says look here, this is the original sales receipt. The piano was sold in my Grandfathers piano store, which is now my store, in April 1899 and was initially delivered to this house. There was no price on the invoice but he said it was probably about $1200 back then. I asked him what he thought it was worth and he says, "I wouldn't even attempt to sell this piano in my store, I would list is as a closed auction and only list it with true professional concert orchestras, I don't have any idea what it might fetch, but if you ever decide to sell it, call me first and I can sell it for you, or if you need money quickly, I will write you a check for $15K and see if I can improve on my money." When he was done I wrote him a check for $150 for the tuning service, and rather than leave right away, he stayed and played us a concert for about 3 hours. About two months later I went out fishing on my boat for a weekend and when I got back Sunday night I discovered the piano gone. I asked my wife what happened to it? She said,"My GF Gene's youngest daughter is taking piano lessons and they asked me where they could buy a used piano cheap, so I sold it to them for $200." Is it any wonder why she is now my ex?
    ...See More

This weekend my goal is the garage, any tips?

Q

Comments (9)
    If your garage is like most, you'll end up with a bunch of stuff you may not be able to throw away in the household trash. Paints, antifreeze, etc. If that's true, make a call to see what you need to do with toxic wastes and the hours of drop-off. Make concrete plans for getting it gone, or you'll end up like the rest of us with that stuff still sitting there in five years. Set up a collection with a non-profit to haul your stuff away if you can do that ahead of time. You can always cover the pile with a tarp. How will you get items thrown away? Do you need to empty a vehicle to take to the dumping station or do you have room to wait for trash day? You may want to reconsider if you want to take the time to sell stuff. We use It's Deductible and took over $5,000 last year in non-cash donations. Much easier for me than trying to hold a garage sale and ending up still using my garage as a holding spot. I'm going to try not to put items in boxes again. I have a few more to go, but I've found things like painting supplies just drop to the bottom of a box and I end up either having to empty the entire box to find what I need (and leaving a mess again) or I go buy something I already have. I'm putting all of my garage items in pans which are only a few inches tall (like kitty litter pans) so that I can really see what's there, but it doesn't go all over the place. We downsized from a three car garage to a two car and still get both vehicles inside, as well as the bikes, snowblower, mower, etc. I don't miss a single thing that we got rid of and know I can get more gone (like that box of paints and antifreeze!) Gloria
    ...See More

Any tips to share re: installing a backsplash for a first timer?

Q

Comments (7)
    There are some tile pros on the board, so hopefully they'll chime in. In the meantime I have tiled a few areas of my own home and have a few thoughts: It would be worth a trip to your local library to check out books on tiling. There are a lot of not-so-obvious things about it that would be covered in the book -- some that come to mind are the mathematical calculations you'll want to do before starting, where to start, the use of and reasons for using a "beater bar", making cuts for outlets -- the placement of these may factor into your original mathematical calculations. It will also cover issues such as ensuring your tile goes up in a straight line, and the even grouting lines questions will be answered in there, too. To get even grout lines I us spacers, but some tile have them built in, and there are also some techniques to learn about spacers that will be discussed in the books -- the first time I tiled, I actually got part way through the job before I figured out I was using the wrong part of the spacer (I used the handle which was not uniform thickness) to space my tiles and they had to be pulled off and redone. I would also strongly urge you to have your first section be on the very least visible part of your kitchen, there will definitely be a learning curve, and you want the most prominent area to showcase you're best work. I'm assuming your tile is average thickness -- if you're using a heavy tile then I have a few more tips for you -- my last project (also my back spash) was a thick, heavy porcelain tile and I found out (the hard way that there are other techniques for heavy tile that I should have used.... so be aware, the weight matters, too.
    ...See More
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Run an extension cord in a convenient location so that electrical items can be checked without anyone having to go inside.

ianna thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

If your primary intent is to rid yourself of things you no longer use, price goods inexpensively. If you have things that are of considerable value, you can try to sell them in the garage sale, but I find most people don't want to pay a fair price. I had someone offer me $25 for a six month old side-by-side refrigerator that cost $1800 new. I ended up selling it to someone else for $1100 outside of the garage sale. Consider marking things 50% after the sale has been going a couple hours if certain things aren't moving. Put signs on your major cross streets showing how to get to your sale. Lots of people roam around on the weekend just following those signs from one house to another. You will get overwhelmed with customers at certain times, so it's important to have a couple of people helping you - one to make change, one to watch to make sure things aren't being stolen and yourself to answer questions.

• dees_1
    8 years ago

Great advice so far but I can't stress enough on having people help you. You do not want to have your attention distracted because people steal anything not nailed down. Don't let anyone in your house for any reason.

Be prepared for people offering you ridiculous prices (see AtomicJay's post) and stand pat on things you feel are priced appropriately. Offer a bulk discount if someone's buying a lot of clothes or other things and cut prices after 12 if things aren't moving. Don't hold anything for anybody without getting paid first. Check with your town to make sure you don't have to pull a permit for a sale.

I also recommend picking up some name brand soda in cans (Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Sprite, Mountain Dew (both regular and diet)) and bottled water. Put them in a cooler with ice and sell for 50 cents each. Big money maker with little effort!!!

ianna thanked dees_1
  • jeff-1010
    8 years ago

Have everything set up by the crack of dawn, that's when the professional buyers come out . In fact , if you advertise the sale, it's not uncommon for these buyers to be there watching the stuff come out.

Have an extension cord ready if you have any electrical devices for sale.

Anything you don't want damaged, move it, especially your car and give your neighbors a heads up.

I agree with susanjf, it's easy to get overwhelmed when a bunch of people show up at once. So, the more help you have the better. And no matter what, don't let anyone in your house. Honestly, i won't let them on the porch unless the shades are drawn. You never know who will see what from the porch.

Call it quits about lunchtime, after that, it's not worth your time.

ianna thanked jeff-1010
  • frogged
    8 years ago

I helped out my folks at their yard sale held on the Canadian long weekend, they are in a very small town, they were there all day Sat the dealers were there at 7 am it ran until about 3-4 on Sunday. As we started packing up of course more folks came in. They put a tarp over things overnight and moved the nicer items under the carport. If they were in a city or busy area they may not have done two days- but being the long weekend and on a road that leads to the lake doing two days was a good thing. They are also both retired so they had the time. Nothing was more then 20$, mostly small things plus some guy things and they managed to do over 400$. Family came ( mini family get to gather) friends of theirs stopped to talk so it was a fun time. Having a really interesting item front and center will get people to stop and take a look. The folks garden supplies, tools all out front. Funnily when one car stops you will get several more that will take time to stop, so think of parking a car near the sale to encourage folks to take an interest, Another thing that works is having more then one sale on the block the same day, maybe talk to the neighbors to see if they would be interested in have a sale at the same time. Advertising multiple family sale brings more people. Customers will low ball you so know your prices and be prepared to counter or hold fast to you asking price. I had an offer of 5$ on an item priced at 50$ worth 300$. Yard sale prices max out usually at 1/3 the value of the item but these days sometimes you wont get that. Antiques and high ticket items will vary. People will not usually buy clothes if they are not hung up, if you have brand names have a sign pointing this out. The best sales to go to are the ones that have a variety of things. Often a guy would stop in to look at a box of tools and the girl would buy mom's nick nacks. Guys like to pick through box's women not so much. Be prepared for the person who comes with multiple items and asks to pay much less then the ticketed price don't be intimidated to not accept what they offer- this depends of course on your desire to move the merchandiser vs what you want to make from your sale. It still amazes me that people steal from yard sales but they do so having extra help is a must, price everything so if someone try s to pay someone other than you they will know what the item is worth and you will not be scammed or the customer wont have to wait for you. Keep a CLOSE eye on the cash box, I don't recommend keeping money in your pocket it makes it difficult to get out to make change. Once you start to make a chunk of money take it inside so it does not get "lost" fully expect everyone to want you to break twenties. There are lots of places to put free adds, penny saver's, buy and sells, Kijiji, Craigslist, put up signs make sure the address is easy to read. Oh if you have small kids grand kids or pets make sure they have their parents or someone dedicated to keeping them from interfering I think that previous posts have really good information. Good luck! let us know how you did.

ianna thanked frogged
  • eld6161
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I agree about the "professionals" coming first. We held quite a few garage sales for my Girl Scout troops. Knowing this was a fund raiser, I was surprised at how one "professional" bamboozled us by negotiating with one of the girls instead of the adults. We let it go, but I was fuming!

I will sometimes stop at sales in my neighborhood, but it's not something I would go out of my way for. One neighbor had everything marked with stickers. I liked a glass dish that was marked $4.00. When I picked it up she said, "For you, $3.00!" Made you think you were really getting a bargain.

Most people who frequent garage sales want things super cheap.

After the sales, we immediately took the clothing to drop off bins, others were prepared to take household times etc. to church rummage sales, so ll items went somewhere.

Advertise in your local paper and put plenty of signs up if you are not on a main street.

ianna thanked eld6161
  • strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Our town has a "garage weekend" when everyone put stuff out for sale in front of their garage. I would visit at least 10 houses on that day. What would attract attention is a big sign (with balloons) at street corner, with short summary (dinette, baby clothes, garden tools, etc.). It helps customers if the BIG ITEMS are in the front of the driveway, so people can drive by, and see. The little items are best in the back for those who care to walk in. It would be nice if the BIG ITEMS have BIG SIGNS for the price, so those who drive by would see and stop.

ianna thanked strawchicago z5
  • phyllis__mn
    8 years ago

So many people put out these little, "pencil" written signs.......never stop at them! I love the huge arrows pointing the way, and done in black marker!

ianna thanked phyllis__mn
  • graywings123
    8 years ago

Have at least one and possibly many excuses ready instead of "no."

No, I won't accept that amount, but come back tomorrow and everything will be xx price," even if you have no plans to be there tomorrow.

I can't sell it to you for that amount because it belongs to someone else who set that price. Give me your phone number and I will have her call you about it."

ianna thanked graywings123
  • marylmi
    8 years ago

Good signs, having help and lots of change. I usually start out with $70 ,made up of ones, fives, and tens, and quarters. I also have more on hand if I need it and I wear a fanny pack rather than have a cash box when I am having one by myself. Last year I had a plastic bin with old silverware, kitchen gadgets, etc., and it was amaziing how much time people spent going through it, but it kept them staying longer so more of a chance they might buy something! :)

ianna thanked marylmi
  • plllog
    8 years ago

Everyone's tips are going to be different. Here are mine. Some might suit you, some not. :) Choose what you like. :)

If you have the time, it really helps to make a log while you're pricing things and do like items together. Try to make one price for each kind of item: e.g., cd $1, dvd $2, clothing tops $5, clothing bottoms $7, Evening gowns $25 (these are examples. Try to see if your nearby friends know what the going rates are). This set of salt shakers might be worth $20 and that one only $8, so price them all at $12 and be done with it (or $10 to make making change easier).

Put these prices in the log, and make notes, like the salt shakers that are only worth $8, take a best offer. Also write down the minimum you'll take for that price range if you're willing to dicker or drop the price late in the day. Having it written down means you don't have to think when you're busy and tired, and your helpers can refer to it if necessary.

If you want to get picky, you can also put the line number of a note you have on a tag on the item. That's easier than using a description.

If you have a better off clientele, make "lots" of things you have many off, like ten kids' dvds tied with string or in a small box, and put a group price on them. If the people are the type who would easily spend $10 for a particularly good kids' dvd, but you have a bunch to sell at $2 apiece, put a good one or two and several meh ones in a lot and sell the whole thing for $15. That'll clear them out faster. If the people likely to stop by are likely to not have much money, do the opposite. They might buy one dvd for $2, but balk at paying more than $5 for anything.

Bring out beach umbrellas, etc., for shade, but mark them not for sale in BIG letters if you're not selling them...but listen to good offers. People often want to buy the things you don't want to sell. Have a number in mind that it'll be worth it to you to sell at. Like an umbrella that cost $100 might feel worth selling at $85 but not less. If asked, say you want to keep it, but would sell for $150 and let yourself be talked down to $125, knowing you're still above your bottom dollar. :)

Don't have anything in sight that isn't for sale other than the tables, chairs, umbrellas and things you're using to display the sale. That means, if you have the garage open, either clear out your stuff to the backyard, or drape it with well tied down tarps. Out is preferable, or close the garage door.

Have everything priced, and ready arranged to be laid out, in the garage before dinnertime the night before so you can have a relaxing evening and good night's sleep.

Make sandwiches the night before that you and the family can munch on during the day, and have fruit and other snacks set out in the kitchen. Things you can just pop in and grab. Also, pre-prepare a nutritious dinner for the night or get a friend to bring over a balanced dinner, so you just have to heat and eat, rather than think about it. "Oh, we'll just order pizza or go out" sounds great but on the day, when you're exhausted and stressed, high quality homecooked food is better for you, and requires less effort than ordering if it's ready to go. If more helpers are staying than you're prepared for, you can order pizzas to go with.

Have only one till. Let the helpers bring the buyers to you, ask you about dickers, and let you take the money. If you're doing a huge amount of trade, take a "bathroom break", count out an even number wad of money, and stash it in a safe place in the house where no one can see you. In one of your boots is a good place, for instance. It's much easier to manage less cash.

Alert the neighbors that you'll be having the sale, and if you're friendly with them, let them preview and choose or buy things they want ahead of time in exchange for clearing their cars off the street so that the visitors can park easily.

Good luck!! Have a great sale!!

ianna thanked plllog
  • jeff-1010
    8 years ago

Ellendi is right about those professional buyers. Once in a while you run across one that's too aggressive and nearly unscrupulous. It gives the others a bad name. If one shows up ,don't give him an inch as he will take advantage any way he can. I hope I'm not scaring you with this information. It rarely happens, but it can. Yard sales are a lot of fun but are hard work, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Good luck.

ianna thanked jeff-1010
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

Don't put your cashier's table all the way inside the garage or right next to the house. If you do, you can't see what merchandise is growing legs and walking right off your property! Put your cashier's table near the end of the driveway where you can see most of the action.

I second the suggestion to clear out your big bills once in a while and take them in the house. Or lock in your car trunk.

Don't waste your time on 8 x 11 inch signs - make em BIG enough to read while driving down the road. All you really need on the sign is Garage Sale, Your Address, and an arrow pointing the way. Use magic markers to make your signs, BIG ones. Get some brilliant colored poster board, all the same color, to make your signs on. After the sale, please be a good neighbor and go out and retrieve your signs.

Be prepared for a huge rush right after you open. In my area, that will last an hour or two. You'll make most of your money then. NEVER let anyone in your house.

Be prepared to bundle items together near the end of the sale. Got a bunch of kitchen items? Put em in a box and mark it $2. 20 assorted knickknacks? Throw em in a wicker basket and mark it $5.

ianna thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

I forgot to add my garage sale pet peeves:

If items aren't priced, I leave immediately. This isn't a flea market, people.
    If you have kids (like under the age of 13), send them to grandma's.
    Never display items on the ground; for instance, toys or clothes on a blanket on the grass. I won't bend over to look.
    If you think an item is pretty trashy, don't set it out, price it at $3, and cross your fingers. If you think it's trash, chances are pretty good that I do too.

ianna thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • liz
    8 years ago

my till is a huge waist pack...it's too easy to lose money otherwise...when I got a bunch of cash I would run it in the house and hide it...by all means have people to help you...or to just roam around looking like customers...it does keep the thieves at bay...

I bought 3 pieces of plywood and use sawhorses to make tables...I also bought a 12 foot dowel and hung it between two ladders to hang clothes on...its easier to see if stuff is hung up...if you have the original manuals for electronics thats a plus...I keep them in an expandable file so it was easy to put my hands on them...I also covered my hubsters tool box and things not for sale in the garage with sheets...and put stuff on top of the sheets...

We have a huge facebook yard sale sight and craigslist so my days of yard sales are over...thank goodness...it really is lots of work and it amazes me how people will steal a 1 dollar article...but it's their conscience they have to live with...if you live in an area where lots of people craigslist...make up an ad and put some pictures of your stuff...that draws in lots of people in my area!

I have no problem with dealers and telling them no when they ask me to lower the prices...I'm friendly and tell them to comeback at the end of the day and we'll talk...Good Luck and I hope you make a bundle!

ianna thanked liz
  • lucillle
    8 years ago

I echo the others who said have help. There is a lot of petty theft at garage sales in some areas. If it is a true yard and garage sale, do not let buyers in your house, they can go to a fast food place to use a restroom. While most people and requests are honest, protect yourself from the ones that may not be.

Decide ahead of time what you are going to do with non selling articles particularly clothing. Donating items to some organizations might yield a tax deduction, be sure to get a written form from them showing the value of the donated items. Have plenty of cardboard boxes on hand to put the leftovers in, or even heavy duty trash bags.

Be organized and have fun. Plan a good breakfast and lunch for yourself and your helpers.

The more fun the better- you can even, especially with young people, have little prizes for 'best seller' and so on.

ianna thanked lucillle
  • linda_6
    8 years ago

Make sure your sign is readable from the road. We passed up many sales because we couldn't read the little wording. My daughter and granddaughter made a huge sign for our sale. We set it at the edge of our yard with balloons and had more people stop because of our sign.

ianna thanked linda_6
  • ianna
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I want to everyone for great tips. I've been busy taking notes and will aim to do that this weekend. I do have a helper and hopefully things do well.

• dexx215
    8 years ago

Arrows and more arrows. I frequently go out of my neighbourhood for garage sales and am not familiar with the streets. An address on a sign is not good enough for me, but an arrow will definitely point me In the right direction.

ianna thanked dexx215
  • ianna
    Original Author
    8 years ago

arrows.. got it.

• cynic
    8 years ago

Lots of good advice so I won't repeat, hopefully.

Don't waste time and sign space saying "Yard Sale", "Garage Sale", etc. It's unnecessary. Just say "SALE" and an arrow. Thick, heavy fonts and you can print it on a printer. I'd suggest the outline type fonts to save ink and/or toner, or if you have a volunteer, they can color them in a little. And doing this, yes, you can easily use 8-1/2x11, you then attach an arrow to it and you'll do fine. Yes, color, balloons, even lights or something will attract people but spending more time on the signs than needed is wasted time. Oh and don't discount using some old wood and paint.

Lock your doors, don't take chances. And often people will ask, but my reponse is, sorry we don't have a public bathroom.

Want to keep people lingering? Especially if it's a cool day a pot of coffee will keep them around. A small cup keeps them looking while you're selling pop and water.

Expect price tag switchers and other cons. Keep your cell phone handy and don't hesitate to call the police on thieves if they appear. There's always lowballers that will distract you while a partner tries to get in the house so keep it locked and shades closed. And the lowballers trying to get something for nothing my usual response was to raise the price on them. That shuts them up. You need to keep control or they'll run all over you. Just be firm. If you can't, then have a friend be there to help handle those situations.

Avoid putting things in a box and a sign on the box 25¢ each or something like that. Price each item. Dollar stores sell pricing stickers if you don't want to write it down. There's going to be someone saying "But this ($100 item) was in the quarter box!!!". Save yourself some headaches.

Get a good breakfast before you start and/or keep prepared food handy. Pasta salads and sandwiches are great.

Have your driveway blocked off or people will be pulling up in it and that causes trouble.

One of your helpers (or you) can mosey around looking like a shopper and have a car parked in the street. It does draw people in.

Have various items visible from the street. If I don't see anything but toys and clothes, I drive on.

Keep things as organized as you can without getting anal. Have a "guys area" with the tools and stuff that men are more likely interested in. Don't just mix the stuff together.

If you hang the clothes, be sure to put up a sign that hangers are $__ each unless you want to get rid of them, otherwise people will take them.

Be prepared for the weather. Things outside that will be hurt by rain need a cover nearby.

Get a bunch of bags. People usually have extras. Many people will want stuff in a bag or to be able to carry a lot.. Tie a knot in it so they don't add to it on the way out! And have some newspaper or something to wrap fragile items. Have someone designated who will help carry things to their car if needed.

Just be well rested to start off. It's hard work and very tiring. But it can be a lot of fun too. Enjoy yourself and plan a day of rest after it's over. :)

ianna thanked cynic
  • jeff-1010
    8 years ago

How about a report after the sale?

ianna thanked jeff-1010
  • plllog
    8 years ago

You need MORE HELPERS! Some can be teens if they're the motivated kind, and maybe even a tween, but you should have at least three adults and at least half a dozen people. If some are kids (or grown but whiny) make sure they have somewhere comfortable to sit and something to do when there isn't much action. As others have said, have them milling about looking at things, picking them up and putting them down occasionally, etc., while people are driving by. Herd mentality rules. You need that many people helping you if there's a crowd. Usually, it's a lot of boring waiting around and then twenty people arrive, with little kids, and its a zoo. You need all those helpers out amongst them, answering questions, keeping an eye on your stuff, and making sure that the kids don't tip over your displays. If one does, make sure only one helper picks it up. Sometimes the kids knock over the table so your back is turned while the parents steal stuff.

Still, Littlebug was on the money about not displaying things on the ground. Table height, or higher if you can, is best. The closer to eye level the better seen and more likely bought. :)

ianna thanked plllog
  • kathleen44
    8 years ago

I did a garage sale with someone and we had plenty including her kids, kids love it if they have a kids table to go through and check kids stuff out but if you don't have kids maybe neigbhours or someone you know have some that can be sold.
    Make sure and I say make sure you have tons of change of all different coins and also lots of bills, tons of small ones from tens to ones, 20's too as you would be surprised at how many show up with huge bills.
    And yes, make sure there is plenty of cold drinks and yes, cold, so have coolers or extra fridge to pull out the cold drinks when needed and put into cooler with ice. See, also if you can get bottled water too on sale and sell those too.
    And some will bake cookies, have goodies too and sell them to the customers as so many come out at lunch hour and kids especially want something to eat.
    And helpers, make sure you have good drinks too for them of what they like to drink and make sandwiches,etc. for them to eat for lunch and snacks too.

And yes, plenty of people to always have someone in charge of the money box and never leave it under any circumstances alone and no, don't let them in the house, if you have a downstairs bathroom by the garage, then have who you can get to help stand there and make sure they don't wander off in the house looking and checking what you have in it.

And divide tables, make sure you got lots of tables and put books in one area and how much like pocket books are and then hard covered books are, magazines too.

And things like old tapes, dvd's etc.

Clothes, yes, they like them hung up on those roller clothes hangers or whatever they are called and yes, please no stains and make sure they are fresh and clean.

And if you smoke, then make sure you tell them that, be honest at all times in those things.

Knick kacks, make sure they are dust free.

And its nice and makes work easier for all ones working the garage sale and the customers what the prices are on everything.

Like books put a good sign in big letters for all to read and see it how much pocket books are, one for such and such or five for such and such, depending on how many books you have and you want to get rid of them.

Buy paper plates, etc. so there is no washing up afterwards and no breakage and losing your plates that helpers or yourself or someone bumped into it.

Plastic cups too.

Try to have set up in garage as its nice and shady in there plus you all can get into the house but again make sure the door is well looked after and no one gets by and inside house.

Make sure all have sunbloc on so no one burns in the hot sun if its out. and hats too and sunglasses.

Make sure you put purses of everyone not by the door or if someone gets in can see them, but hide them away so they are not in view.

And if you are selling other's stuff or they are selling some stuff too, make sure its all recorded and written down in a book that is taken care of and then at end of day and sale, you can add it all up and give what they have coming to them.

Be prepared for anything and everything, make sure you got legal rights where you to put it on and if you put signs out, make sure its in huge letters, I see way too many tiny and its like what does it say as you zip by in the car, you can't see it or where it is. have signs too with arrows, garage sale this way in case they don't know the area.

Be prepared and have as much as possible set up in garage night before and then really early in morning, you will find you get antiquers come looking first and so they come very early to your place and knock on the door and don't care if it says no early birds.

Remove all vehicles so people can park around your house.

And yes, make sure you have tons of bags even if you have to go and buy some from stores to provide them.

And make sure you smile and everyone else does and make them feel welcomed.

and yes, provide chairs comfortable ones for you and others to sit on or if they have their one chairs to bring and sit on, then let them do that.

And enjoy, chat up a storm with friends helping and customers.

I love it when they do that if you can tell a story with items that has them and that is interesting and makes a good sale.

Then after its all done, arrange for someone with a truck to haul it all away to thrift shop that you made arrangements with or if they have a truck get them to come and pick it all up.

Don't make the mistake of bringing it all back inside the house, you want to get rid of it, not keep it.

And yes, put great sales, I find that too many put high prices on for garage sales and I pass them by then.

And yes, if there is furniture, then make sure you tell them they must take it away themselves in their own vehicles and someone strong or two people to carry it to their vehicles and put inside for them.

Be prepared and check weather forecase as it it rains, no tables outside then, all have to be inside your garage depending on what you all have size wise.
    And make sure there is plenty of room for all to move around in and check things out. And people dont' like to do bending over to try to get at things and see what is there and so if possible make sure all is on a table and up above to see and check out.

And if you can divide books into romance, mystery, history,etc. and so they can check those categories they like to read.

And whatever you do, dont' have your cell phone buzzing off or the ones helping too and dont' be chatting on it or texting or constantly check it, nothing worse then wanting to ask or buy something to find they are doing that.

Again don't let anyone in the house unless at least two of you are watching them at all times and don't leave them or look away.

kathy

ianna thanked kathleen44
  • lydia1959
    8 years ago

Don't have a 'cash box'... I've seen too many sitting unwatched on a table while the seller is 15 feet away talking to a customer. I prefer wearing a pocketed half apron (like some waitstaff wear) to hold my money. I use a heavy chip clip to hold the bills together so they don't fall out. If I end up with a lot of money in my pocket I take the excess into the house when I have no customers.

If you have tall shelving systems in your home that would be easy to empty out and carry to the sale site... it works very well to display collectibles and books. The customers can see most items at or near eye level instead of looking down on them on a regular table.

If you are not having the sale with other people's items, don't waste your time keeping track of what you've sold... some scratch paper or a calculator is necessary though to add up purchases.

Have fun with it!

ianna thanked lydia1959
  • linda_6
    8 years ago

Have a freebie spot. We got rid of everything we had in our freebie space.

My husband also gave the kids free hotwheel's. They loved it and so did the parents.

ianna thanked linda_6
  • impatien
    8 years ago

I love going to garage sales. First of all, don't price things too high. If what you have in your sale is stuff you really want to just get rid of, you need to be keep the prices reasonable. You can always come down or negotiate if it seems like people aren't buying.

I've been to yard sales where many of the items are just filthy. I am not necessarily turned off by it if I feel it's something I can bring back to life, but lots of people will turn up their noses at dirty items.

I agree that a free box is great. Also agree that it's a real turn-off to have to dig through things like clothing spread on blankets on the ground.

ianna thanked impatien
  • vicsgirl
    8 years ago

I will never have another garage sale. I've had two. So much work to advertize, set up, stay on the premises, etc. I had bad experiences all around- cash box stolen, one item for 25 cents returned by the buyer, stating it was cracked and she didn't want it. I'm sure it cost her 25 cents in gas just to drive back! Anyhow, from now on I will donate anything of valuable. Let things go to poor people, or to be sold in thrift shop, whatever. Just be happy to be rid of things without them ending in a trash landfill.

• wantoretire_did
    8 years ago

I'm with vicsgirl - never again. Have had two, followed all the rules. At each, made just enough to cover a late lunch afterward. After the second one, we put up a "FREE" sign outside the locked garage. What wasn't taken we donated. It really isn't worth the work and diligence.

• jeff-1010
    8 years ago

My wife organizes a yard sale every year for her church. When it's all said and done, every thing left is picked up by good will. maybe you can donate it to some organization. Remember, no matter how little you have, there's someone out there with less. Sorry about the sermon:-)

• ianna
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I want to thank everyone again for your tips. I was able to make $400 in the span of 4 hours and then rain came along and I decided to stop the sale. Everything else I have left behind will be given away..

• dees_1
    8 years ago

That's wonderful! Glad you had success!

• plllog
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for the report! It sounds like you did well. All the best for an easy move.

• wantoretire_did
    8 years ago

That's great!! Well worth the time and effort.

• vicsgirl
    8 years ago

Glad you made out!

• jeff-1010
    8 years ago

Congratulations. 4hours is a good time for a yard sale. 5 is as long as you'd want.

• ianna
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I must admit some folks re plain simple cheap or nuts. But I survived.

• socks
    8 years ago

Oh yes, and I've even heard of people shoplifting from garage sales. Glad it went well; you must be exhausted.

• happilady
    8 years ago

Use a fancy pack for the money and get a roll of quarters and lots of small bills.