SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strngelitlgrrl

Need advice...rotten floor joists in house I'm buying

strngelitlgrrl
18 years ago

Hi all,

I have a 90 year old house under contract. The inspection showed that 75% of the joists underneath the house showed significant wood rot. The inspector said that the problem was moisture, that there is inadequate ventilation and a wet environment (coastal region). He gave the seller a ball park figure of $25-30K to fix it. We are in the process of getting estimates now for the work.

I am concerned that even if the seller has the work done and we proceed to closing, it will just reoccur over a span of many years. Also, don't they have to jack the house up off of the foundation, remove flooring, etc? I am worried that the house will not withstand the repairs, given the age of it. It has plaster walls. Won't they crack?

Like I said, it is under contract so I am really obligated to buy it if the seller agrees to do the repairs. I am worried that this will come back to haunt me in the long run. I am pretty handy with painting and minor repairs around the house, but I really know nothing about this structural stuff. Is this not such a big deal, or should I try my best to get out of this contract?

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer

Comments (7)