SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Emergency Preparedness

claire_de_luna
17 years ago

It's a long time after Katrina and all the lessons it had to give us, but I'm finally getting it together to make some Emergency plans. I found some (bright orange) rolling backpacks and am filling them now. Besides the usual stuff like clothes, flashlights, batteries,first aid, etc., I've included a hand-crank radio, and a deck of cards. There's a first tier list of what to grab like medications, food, pet supplies, water and cash; plus a second tier list of comforts/heirlooms to grab if there's time.

We copied all the important papers yesterday, one for each pack in case we'd lose one. The decision was not to include any social security numbers, but we copied our drivers licenses, since it seems like losing those could be problematic. Besides insurance policies, birth certificates, house and car stuff, I'm putting a contact sheet of all phone numbers (family, insurance, financial) on top of the packet and am going to vacuum seal the whole shebang so water won't be an issue. My calendar has a notation for twice a year, so I can go through these and update them (meds, clothes, etc.) on a regular basis. As much as I've thought about this and considering how much time I've invested, I'd hate to have to pull it together at the last minute!

I know we talked about this right after Katrina, but I've slept since then. What am I forgetting?

Do you have a plan in place?

Comments (150)