Coconut milk in cornbread?
15 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (9)
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
Related Discussions
Coconut Cream? Coconut Milk?
Comments (10)Coconut cream and coconut milk are about the same but the cream has more pulp/(cream). The milk usually has a bit of cream that settles on top so i shake the can... "cream of coconut' has added sugars and such. I don't buy that since I can add my own sweetener to taste. (check your labels). I think it is used for adult drinks and pies/cakes but you can add your own sweet to coconut cream and get the same thing. I have a few cans staring at me above my coffee grinder in the pantry. Milk and water. Labels can be deceiving. My coconut milk says 98 calories but the serving is 7 for 11oz. The coconut water is 130 calories for the 11oz can. (one serving) My husband does not care for it much. He prefers plain rice, not my coconut rice even with curries. (unless i tell him ahead of time...he expects plain brown rice, nice and nutty.) I love coconut milk and may have overdone it last year...i actually like pure rice, its own flavor. Anywho, i'm using it tonight. I have leftover 'plain' rice and rich savory chicken thighs. I'm having the best garden season ever with the rain, sun, and high heat. Usual veggies are bolting so i have a tiny one of everything. Cuke, zuke, a tiny eggplant and a giant bag of thai basil. Even the broccoli bolted but i have a bit. (sounds dismal but the tomatoes, salads, fruits, and others are so much appreciative of the unusual heat) I shook my can and split it. Made a dressing with half a habanero, green onion, garlic, half a lemon, ev olive oil, thai basil...and the coconut milk. So good. I'll use just a bit on tender salad greens. (my dressing for the rest of the week) The other half of the can...saute a shallot, 2 cloves garlic, the other half of the habanero, diced celery, my 6 tiny halved tomatoes,lol, (soon i will have bushels of toms), the 6 peas from pod, 4 snap peas and the other tiny veggies ...add the coconut milk and chicken meat that i will pick off the bones...simmer on low 20 min, add a big squeeze of lemon...serve with the rice and top with that beautiful thai basil. (if i have company i add a thin slice of lemon on the serving) I don't have the recipe on hand...but it is called 'Summer-Curry-In-A-Hurry'. Not a traditional curry at all. Just using fresh early crop when we have a tiny mix of so many 'everything'. If shopping in a grocery, just buy one of everything. Black seedless grapes halved are a good substitute for crap out of season tomatoes. Expensive usually but just take a small stem of a few dozen out of that bag. Sold by weight. Just buy what you want....a peeve of mine about per item sold/vs. selling by weight. -My husband will like this with the citrus and the habanero heat...and the thai basil. (i hope so)...See MoreUses for leftover Coconut Milk?
Comments (12)Colleen, Panna Cotta was how I used the first half of the can! Recipe called for (I think) 1 1/2 cups half and half, and 8 oz of coconut milk. Though if I make it again, I think I will use the whole can. The coconut flavor was not as prominent as I would have liked....See MoreBest baseboard/trim color with coconut milk walls
Comments (1)Not a fan of accent walls, unless there is somthing special about it. I would paint the walls milk chocolate and the trim and baseboard coconut milk in semi-gloss finish....See MoreFrozen fruit bars using coconut milk?
Comments (6)I've never used a recipe for fruit pops. I puree frozen raspberries with plain non-fat yogurt (How much? Until it seemed the right color and texture), a small amount of sugar (maybe 1/4 cup for a pound of raspberries) and enough water to make it pourable. I've been known to throw in shredded carrot, which appalled my daughter (elementary age at the time) when I told her until she tried one, and then she declared that I should always add carrot. I don't see any reason why you couldn't substitute coconut milk for part of the yogurt....See More- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEHow Do You Make Your Tea and Coffee in the Morning?
A morning cup is a must for many, and preparation comes in many guises. We look at coffee and tea habits across the Houzz community
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGBaking Soda: The Amazing All-Natural Cleanser You Already Own
Battle grime, banish odors and freshen clothes with this common nontoxic cupboard staple
Full Story
MOST POPULAR7 Ways to Design Your Kitchen to Help You Lose Weight
In his new book, Slim by Design, eating-behavior expert Brian Wansink shows us how to get our kitchens working better
Full Story
COLORFUL HOMESMy Houzz: Colorful and Clever DIY Touches Fill an Alabama Farmhouse
Antiques, repurposed items and a whole lotta hard work give a family home cheery, personable style
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDRemake Your Backyard Into a Mini Farm
You can get a taste of country life by line-drying your laundry, growing some produce or going whole hog with the critters
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHouzz Call: Share Your Favorite Christmas Tradition
Is there one thing you do, watch or eat that heralds the arrival of Christmas? Post a photo and let us know!
Full Story
MOST POPULARThanksgiving Tales: When the Turkey Tanks
Houzz readers prove adept at snatching victory from the jaws of entertaining defeat
Full Story
ENTERTAININGHouzz Guide: How to Set a Table
Here’s everything you need to know to prep your table for a get-together
Full Story
annie1992