SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa98112

Introduction

lisa98112
18 years ago

Hi. I just sort of popped on here a few weeks ago with my tales of woe of removing wallpaper. Let me give you a little background about me.

My husband and I just bought a 1915 craftsman that we plan to rennovate in the next 6-9 months before moving in. We currently live in a 1927 tudor which we've done some work on too.

The house has beautiful bones, but the PO has made some extremely poor and questionable choices. It was completely redecorated in 1976 complete with dropped ceilings, yellow formica, and wall to wall shag carpet in every room (including the kitchen and baths). Every room except the master bath has multiple layers of wallpaper too. The thing they choose not to update was the furnace. We have the original coal furnace which was converted to oil, then to gas, and takes up a quarter of the unfinished basement.

They also choose to keep applying new wallpaper over old and then put a coat of paint on top. We have removed all of the dropped ceilings which caused some damage to the plaster. They nailed wood 2x6 to the plaster. We are in the process of stripping the wallpaper off so that we can patch, prime and paint.

Under the carpeting, the living and dining rooms have oak floors, the rest of the house has fir. Unfortunately in the kitchen they nailed plywood over the fir which we are slowly removing and glued vinyl tile over the fir in the main bath.

The kitchen has been gutted. We found they put drywall over the plaster and lathe. We'll probably rip it all down to the studs and put up new 1/4 or 1/2 inch drywall.

We have also been removing the wood paneling which was nailed to the plaster in the LR and attached to the studs in the main bath. There is now less than a half upper wall in the bath. Debating if we can match up drywall to the plaster or if we should just break it all out.

So that's my story. I plan to be around alot in the next several months.

Comments (21)