SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenathegreat

How to get started and get a grip on day-to-day clutter?

jenathegreat
14 years ago

It's been a long long time since I've posted here.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now. I don't know if this is an organizing problem or a time management problem or both.

It's not the big organizing projects like cleaning the garage that bog me down (not that my garage is organized or clean but it's so far down my list that I don't care right now.) It's the little day-to-day stuff. I can't keep up. I have a 2yo DD and I'm pregnant. I work 3 days a week and home with DD the other days. And I just feel lazy.

Right now on my couch beside me are a couple books, some play food, a mailer bag that something came in yesterday, the tags off that item, an empty gift bag from DD's birthday party 2 weeks ago, a curtain for the baby's room that is 90% finished and hasn't been worked on in 2.5 weeks, 2 empty grocery bags, a throw blanket, and I think there's probably some dirty toddler clothes under there.

Around the room there is a smattering of toys, a cardboard box, the sales flyers from yesterday's mail that DD claimed and scattered to the winds, and my coffee table is pushed crooked from my mad search for toddler shoes Wednesday.

If I got off my rear, I could make the room presentable in 15 minutes with some stash and dash. In half an hour I could put the stuff away. In an hour the room could be pristine.

I like it when it's clean - or at least mostly clean, I'll never be a neatnick. But even though I know I could do it, I'm just so freaking tired and can't stand the thought of getting up to do it.

My other problem is that some of this stuff, I just don't know where to put it. We're in the middle of converting our study into a bedroom for my SS so even what stuff we had a home for has come loose from its moorings and is adrift in our house. But as I look around the room (the only public room we have in our house now) I see that I can't blame any of this junk on the study conversion, it's all just day-to-day debris. GAH!

How do you train yourself to be a neat person? How do you find homes for everything? (I'm guessing that in neat homes the sunscreen does not live on top of the TV like it does in mine) I remember reading posts about having the right infrastructure for your stuff (talley sue?) but I don't even know how to get my stuff into logical groupings to decide what infrastructure I need - and we have very little storage space so i know we need some.

Ok, that was probably way too long and rambling and thank you if you read it all. I think I better go to bed now.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio