SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duodecad

How to get a grip on existing soil in beds?

duodecad
16 years ago

Hi all-- this is my first visit to this forum, so I hope I'm posting this question in the right place! I'm hoping for some advice on how to deal with the soil in an old neglected garden.

I'm a newbie to gardening, and I've taken on responsibility for a 2-acre garden that was really well-tended about 20 years ago, but has since been pretty badly neglected. Possibly I am out of my mind for doing this, but that's a separate issue-- all I can say is, it seemed like a good learning opportunity at the time :)

The garden is full of raised beds, bordered with stone, with dirt paths running between them. Unfortunately, the beds (and paths) are now filled with grass and invasives. Each bed is basically a thick mat of grass roots; the only thing that comes up through the grass are the really fierce invasives like blackberries, thistles, ivy, and that horrible invasive sweet pea that plagues the Bay Area (no, it's not the good-smelling kind, it's the thug kind!). These are all listed in the California Invasive Plant Inventory. Once I found that out, I felt even more of a responsibility to get a grip on the situation-- not just for the sake of this garden, but to prevent these invasives from spreading even more.

I've tried hand-weeding, but I just can't keep up; I move around the garden methodically, clearing areas by hand, but by the time I get back to an area it's a mess again; it's just too much area for me to keep clear by hand (unless I quit my job and weed 40 hours a week, maybe!). So I'm wondering about other methods to get control of the situation. I've read about putting down cardboard, black plastic, etc, but I've also read that using plastic kills the microorganisms in the soil. I've read about lasagna methods, but since the raised beds are already filled to the top of their stone borders I'm not sure how I would get that to work; any additional material seems like it would just spill over the stone border edges and fill up the paths.

So I'm hoping for advice from you soil experts... if you were in this situation, what would you do in order to regain control of this humongous area of preexisting beds and paths, given that my two main goals are to 1) get rid of grass and weeds in both the beds and the paths in some way that gives me more leverage than hand-weeding, and 2) to improve the condition of the existing soil so I can get on to the business of planting?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice. I'm stumped!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals