SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hayri_gw

Clearing out - Cleaning Up - Simplying

hayri_gw
15 years ago

Hey y'all. Have been reading some of the posts and just wanted to join in.

Due to a chronic health problem, I had to quit my job 1/9/08. For years, I had not been able to organize, clean or keep our house the way I wanted to or 'should'. My shoulds include just to have clean counters, stove, etc.

For the past few years, I've made sure that everything that I used in cooking was dishwasher safe. Our meals consisted of canned or packaged food. We have enough dishes and pots & pans to last us a week in case I feel so bad that I'm not even able to load the dishwasher. Some nights I go to bed as early as 6:30.

I've also made sure that we had enough towels, bed linens, underwear, etc. to last us a few weeks. Sometimes I spent the entire weekend in bed and was just not able to run the washer.

After quiting my job, I decided to get the house cleaned and organized. I took each closet and emptied it out. A lot of stuff has been thrown out or bagged to domate. It took me about a week on each closet (of which there are 3).

Almost each room has been cleaned from top to bottom - it's strange not to see cat hair clouds in each corner!

There are as few decorations/purties set out as possible - I'm just not able to keep them dusted.

Even though I have a self-cleaning oven, it doesn't get used due to the smell and heat generated. So...I got some of the spray-on cleaner and spent two days cleaning the oven. It had not been clean in years!!

I went through my little laundry room and got rid of a lot of cleaners, etc. If the containers have not been opened, they're being donated to a thrift shop pantry. I'm using only baking soda, etc. for cleaning now. My laundry room looks huge now.

Plastic bags are donated to the library (they beg for them!). I use only a few for disposing of cat litter.

Newspapers and magazines are dumped in a recycling bin. None of the senior citizens center around here want any magazines or books. And the thrift stores won't accept them cause they say they can't sell them. I will buy a box of mags at yard sales for $1-$1.50, tear out the articles/recipes I want to keep and toss the rest.

My husband has been great in accepting my illness but he just doesn't see the laundry or dirty dish pileups. But if I don't have the energy to do the cleaning, I don't have the energy to ask him to do it. Being chronically sick is no picnic!!!!!!!

Basically, I'm trying to pare down possessions whether it be clothes, reading materials or just things.

You know, I like my food without a lot of seasonings - I like to taste the food itself. I'm getting to the point of enjoying our house without a lot of decorations. It's easier to keep up plus I can enjoy the exposed beams in the living room, the chair rail in the master, the picture window in the dining room, etc. Sounds odd, right?

Sorry to ramble on so. Thanks for listening and not throwing too many tomatoes at me!!

Comments (18)