SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krycek1984

Knocking down wall

krycek1984
11 years ago

I have a question for everyone, hopefully you can answer...

We have the opportunity to move back to my partner's parent's rental house in a very beautiful suburban area (I bought a house in the city we live in right now). The problem is that the house is very dated and needs some work.

Most of the work we want to do to make it somewhat more equivalent to our current house is cosmetic, or it is work that we could do on our own.

There are two major things we can't do on our own:

1. We want to knock part of the wall out between the kitchen and dining room. We don't want to remove the wall completely; just remove some of it so we can see eachother from each room. Unfortunately, that wall used to be an external wall at some point (I believe).

2. I want to put a door in the living room leading outside. The problem is that I have no idea how we could go about putting a door in, and there is baseboard heating so somehow we'd have to make sure the baseboard heating can be accomadated.

The more "pressing" issue is the wall...I suppose we can wait for the door.

How do I go about doing this? I am not sure who I should bring in to see what we can tear out and what we can't. I'm sure since we aren't even knocking the whole thing down that it will be fine, but I'm just not sure. Do I contact a structural engineer? I don't know where to go. I suppose they could also offer advice concerning the door I want to put in.

I'm hoping that since we aren't tearing the whole wall down that we could do it for around $500. My budget for the door is $500 without the cost of the door (so maybe a total of $900).

Comments (6)