SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elsbeth63

To knock down wall in kitchen or not!

Els513
last year
last modified: last year

We are renovating our kitchen due to a dishwasher leak. New cabinets, counters and flooring are going it! I am considering having two walls removed, to a countertop or bar height. There would need to be one or two columns due to it being load bearing and some things for the HVAC system run through there. These pictures aren't the best, but I'm looking at removing the wall that has the window in it and the wall (when looking at the sink) to the right of it. The dining room is on the other side. When looking from the dining room, it would be the wall with the chalkboard and of course the window. My thought is to have an area where people can sit and talk to the person cooking in the kitchen, plus I feel it would open everything up. But I don't want to regret this! My husband especially isn't sure if it's worth the money... Don't mind the temporary sink please!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you! I can take more pics if needed.

I have added a floor plan. Sorry it's so rough, but it gives the general idea of how everything is laid out. The walls that would be removed (or changed to half wall for the bar/counter) would be the triangle walls and the angled wall below it. The straight one with the TV would stay. This is such a strange kitchen floor plan to begin with!

I also just added two pictures of what similar would be where the walls currently are. I guess maybe a peninsula would be a good way to describe it?

Comments (22)