SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebuyer23

Kitchen layout advice...which wall(s) should go?!

homebuyer23
11 years ago

Hello, so glad I found this board, have been browsing for a couple weeks, and need some help here! What a wonderful resource.

The front half of our house has a large formal LR which we never use. There's also a formal DR which we do use for holidays, birthdays, etc. Its small though and family gatherings are cramped.

The back half of our house is where we spend most of our time, we usually come in our side door through the kitchen which goes right into family room. The main problem is the kitchen has NO counter space. Storage is starting to get tight.

We are in our 30s with 3 kids ages 1-7. I am a SAHM and the main cook, though my husband helps a lot on holidays and sometimes cooks or helps me cook on weekends. We entertain somewhat often, usually crowds of about 8-15 people, but sometimes larger parties. Everyday functionality is my main priority but I do want it to work well for the times we entertain.

My main priority is gaining much needed counter/prep space. But the 1 thing I like about my kitchen now is that we sit at a kitchen table for dinner. But I know if I want to keep that, which I do, theres no room for more counter space! That's why I think we need to explore options for knocking down walls, extending kitchen into family room or dining room etc.

Id love to see things such as a mudroom or at least coathook area, desk or at least area for calendars, bills, mail etc., charging electronics area, somewhere for laptop to be handy, small tv in kitchen, if new layout moves large tv out of viewing area in kitchen.

I haven't thought too much about appliances yet. Current layout only has space for a range combo, which is OK with me, but if we are able to gain space and budget allows, I'd love to upgrade to a gas cook top and wall oven, I think (need more research ;-) )

We'd like to update the look of the fireplace, and considering built ins on either side.
I have drawn up a sketch on graph paper of the entire first floor and taken every measurement (this took forever!) I don't know how to get it computer generated, are there websites to do that for me or do I need to pay for software? I hope its sufficient. Ill also post photos.

We are willing to knock out walls, move windows, etc. Our budget is not huge, but I think (hope) it allows for a few structural changes. We can spend up to $60K max.

I would just love to hear suggestions for what you think the ideal use of space and kitchen layout would be. We do not want/need to keep the formal LR. We would be willing to eliminate our formal DR.

2 KDs have initially suggested knocking out all or part of wall between Kitchen and DR. I am open to that, but I feel like it still leaves us with a wasted formal living room that we dont use, and that's almost the largest room on our first floor. Plus an awkwardly shaped kitchen. I'd like to explore extending kitchen into family room, and using LR as our family room. That has drawbacks too though. Im so confused!

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, mock ups, anything would be so appreciated. I have so many other questions, but guess Ill start here!

Thank you so much in advance!!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz