SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turtlelearner

Upper story 10 degrees warmer than basement

turtlelearner
9 years ago

I live in a two story colonial built in 1946, plaster/cement like walls, no insulation in the walls, etc. On the other hand, there is a layer of fiberglass insulation in the attic just above the problem upper story which has been there for years. This 700 sq ft area is semi-ceiled with double pain windows that were installed in the last 15 years. I have a carrier electric forced A/C Unit. I only have 3 air outlets open in the entire house, The problem upper story has one air outlet and two air intakes appropriately placed on opposite sides of the room. The thermostat is on the middle floor where there are two air out lets open and one air inlet. There is a huge air inlet adjacent to the HVAC unit in the basement. Question: What is the right approach? How do I get the biggest bang for my buck? Should I install window air conditioners first ? Should I install a ventless AC unit first? Or should I instead begin insulating?; I could start with the attic by pumping in celulose. I could then plug the leaks I see in the vent system and then insulate the vents. As a last resort, I would pump insulation into the walls. I am not sure how productive Plugging and insulating the vents would be, because I don't have access to anything above the basement level.

Comments (8)