SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tofu_flavored

return and supply air temp at or under 10 degrees

tofu_flavored
13 years ago

Hello - first, I'm not sure about my terminology, so I hope people can understand what I'm saying. I'm in Atlanta where it's in the upper 90s, and my apartment can't stay cooler than about 82-83 degrees during the afternoon (despite being set at 78). The AC people first came in June; they pointed a device at the different vents and said there was air flow from all; checked the outside part (compressor?) and put 2 pounds of refrigerant in; never checked the furnace. I called them again back in July because although it was better than before, it still wasn't cooling off below 82-83 degrees during the day despite it running all morning. They returned; checked the compressor outside but said it didn't need freon, and the system is in good working order. Still didn't check the furnace or anything else. They basically said it just can't keep up with the extremely hot weather we're having (but it's always hot in the summer here).

On a friend's advice the other day I measured the temp between the intake (return?) and output (supply?) vents. Here are the results:

At around noon, the intake was 82 degrees

one living room vent put out air at 71 degrees

bedroom vent: 72

bathroom vent: 74

In late afternoon (~3:30) the intake was 88

living room vent: 81

bedroom: 85

bathroom: 88

I have been told there should be *at least* a 10 degree difference between the return and supply vents.

Here's additional info:

I'm on the second floor of a small 1950's (?) 2-story building so I know that's a disadvantage.

Temps were taken at the grills, which are on the ceilings in all cases, by a little metal thermometer.

Furnace is in attic; compressor is outside.

My place is about 800 sq. ft; home inspector (and AC people) said the system was properly sized.

Furnace thing is a York 80; not sure about compressor outside.

System is around 8 years old and has been serviced each year by previous owner; checked last in Sept. '09 (I just moved in in May 2010).

Finally, I'm going through my home warranty people (I call them with a problem, they use one of their contractors), so if the AC guys say there's nothing wrong with the system, they and the home warranty people don't have to do anything.

Should the AC guys be doing more? Do I have a case for them to come back and recheck the system since I've found such a low temperature differential between return and supply? Should they look in the attic at the ducts and furnace?

I know there is a lot more info needed for anyone to really know what's going on (quality of insulation, single-pane windows, etc.), but general ideas/suggestions/how to go about finding out if anything is wrong or can be done would be much appreciated!! Sorry for the length of this.

Comments (12)