SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galeforce_gw

It's not that bad after all, and ?? on beam splicing

GaleForce
18 years ago

So I've flipped out on this forum before about dry rot in our exterior beams. Our guy was here today. He says "it's not a structural problem yet." What he means is that we've got a year or two before the roof falls on us. This was a blessed relief since we weren't sure if we had minutes. He's going to use some sort of splicing technique and cover with copper caps. He said that there are a lot of ways to do it and that we'd have options in the cosmetic department. I have no idea what he means so I wonder if any of you can direct me to resources on splicing.

The reason I didn't ask him this question is actually an interesting tidbit: this isn't his main job and I don't want to be too high-maintenance. Before anyone reacts, let me explain that he is the owner of the other historic property here which is a business. He left his life as a structural engineer to restore a condemned historic building and now maintains it as a resort. He has maintained his GC license. He's got the chops for the job. You should see the work he has to do on his own structure. I feel very lucky that he is willing to work on this property.

And regards to another wall that is rotting, he said "well, this isn't a wall, it's a 'partion'. The roof is supported by that beam. There is nothing structural about it. Clean it up. It's the least of your problems." (he had just seen the exterior beams). So we don't have a rotten wall, we have a rotten *partition.* Somehow I feel better about that.

And a further tidbit on the beams, he said that totally replacing them would require not only removing and replacing the roof deck, but the relevant walls as well. !!! We'll get the problem fixed before that's an issue. !!!

Comments (13)