SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

About that pumpkin....

lindac
16 years ago

As you are carving it, if you brush or wipe or dip all cut edges in a chlorine bleach solution, it will keep much longer without growing mold and rotting, and after Halloween you might even manage to find enough for a pie, after you cut off all the chlorined edges.

As a kid, I had to have a jack o'lantern made out of what was called a "milk pumpkin" that was smaller, flatter and looked sort of milky...the skin wasn't bright orange like a regular pumpkin. Seem s money was tight and if a decoration could be used for food too, all's the better. As a rebound I always let my kids have all the pumpkins they wanted to carve. Which was mostly one each, because they were "icky" to clean out!

I remember once, during the waste not want not days, when i had one of those paper mache jack o'lanterns....the kind that are bringing an arm and a leg on eBay now.....and while sitting in the window, it caught fire and my father picked it up and threw it outside. Everafter we had a real pumpkin!

I also remember one time, waking up Halloween morning and finding my huge pumpkin that I had so carefully carved the night before....even scraping out the icky innards myself, lying smashed in the street.

I remember another year, when I was quite grown up driving on the Ohio Turnpike in the fall and seeing an orange glow miles ahead. Every time we would top a hill we could something very orange in the distance. When we got to that spot we could see that an open semi truck had overturned and spilled a load of pumpkins in the ditch. I would have liked to stop and picked up one....but my DH convinced me that would be hazardous.

So....what pumpkin tales do you have to tell?

Linda C

Comments (6)