SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Should I buy this clipper ship from CL?

texasgal47
10 years ago

I'm decorating my home in British Colonial and have considered purchasing a model of a whaling ship to go on my shelf system in the familyroom. Yesterday I found a great deal on a model of a clipper ship + glass case for $399. For a peek, if you google --- craigslist Dallas + clipper ship -- it should come up immediately. The shelves of my shelf system are 11" deep and the case is 11.25"d. so it just fits. The inside width of the bookshelf is 42" and height is no problem as shelves are adjustable. The ship itself is 24"w x 6"d x 15"h. The case is 30"w x 19.5"h. My concern is that I don't want the ship to be a focal point, just be an accessory. Currently, a large painting over the fireplace is the focal point of the room. As I write this, it seems silly to be asking such a question at all, but I just don't want to go off on a tangent and regret my purchase as the model will certainly be an eye catcher in the room. I plan to add led lighting to the bookcase, so it can't be missed. Thanks for any input and the handholding. I appreciate honest feedback as I am a widow and no longer have my DH to talk me out of these "brainstorms I occasionally get. In case you're wondering how the ship would stay intact, my home is in Houston so I would drive up for the purchase.

Comments (17)