SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gobruno_gw

Should I buy these CL end tables?

gobruno
12 years ago

I've been looking for end table to go on either side of our couch in our den. Anyway, I found this pair on CL. How do you think they'll look on either side of my couch? They seem a bit scratched on top, but they are Drexel Heritage; so, probably nice quality. Also, what would you pay? Here is my den:

And here are the end tables:

Here is a link that might be useful: End Tables

Comments (18)

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I like them. But they seem more formal than what you've got going on so far. Are you wanting to take the space more formal?

• lindac
    12 years ago

Depends on the price.....they are great tables, the chinoiserie will be wonderful with your Bokara....and I have 2 end tables which have open out leaves....seldom open them but when I want the extra space...I am sure glad to flip up those leaves!
    Do you like them?
    Linda C

• Related Discussions

End tables on CL: Antique or Vintage?

Q

Comments (29)
    Add a mirror on top and these would be called "chiffoniers". These are lovely chest-of-drawers. Maybe these are not chest-of-drawers and I am fooled about their size. I see a knob on the top board. Does this slide out?
    ...See More

Should I use a pair of end tables or just one?

Q

Comments (8)
    I really am undecided about which way to go. I do like a collected look, but may_flowers brings up a good point about the LR and DR being open to each other and already having a variety to styles and woods in each area. I know that should I still decide to keep the round table and find a tall end table for the other side, I need to definitely use matching lamps. The search continues.............
    ...See More

CL carved marble table. should I buy it?

Q

Comments (23)
    Here's that table! I really, really like it. DH didn't give me any grief about it either. He was like,"Oh ok. Yeah, it's nice..." He is a mystery at times. (note - not done painting trim)
    ...See More

CL End table Possibility for FR

Q

Comments (4)
    Very interesting, but I don't see it working in that room, given the more modern feel of the space and the existing furniture. The new bookcase is a bit more detailed on the bottom, but still reads transisitonal, not heavy victorian. There are lots of tables out there that have stone or slate tops - maybe not on CL, but at retail sources. I could also see a drum table in there, which would give additional storage in the space as well.
    ...See More
  • gobruno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not quite sure what I'm going for. I generally buy what I like, and I like to think that it all goes together in the end. I think I like them, but I just agonize about every decision, and constantly second guess myself, that sometimes I just end up doing nothing out of indecision! They are being offered for $300 for the pair, but I don't think I'd pay more than $200 for the pair, which I think the seller would do.... Do you think that's too much? The tops are scratched, but I don't think too badly. At the same time, I don't think it would be that easy to fix those scratches since it has a lacquer finish. Thanks!

• annzgw
    12 years ago

My vote is to keep looking. I'm curious what the dimensions are since they appear to be too large for the area. Either way, I think the legs & design are too busy
    and you'll tire of the look over time.
    Certain asian decor pieces will look good with your contemporary furnishings but not those :~(.

• jab65
    12 years ago

I agree that lacquer isn't easy to refinish. I have a piece that "should have" been done a long time ago. Being black, however, a little lemon oil would shine them up and minimize the scratches. They would be versatile and look neat with your lamp too.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I'm going to say I love them! I love anything black anyway, and the profile of the table is gorgeous. I also think they'd look great with your light.

That said, I agree with annz. They look too big for your area, or rather that they would overwhelm your sofa, and before I'd bring them home, I'd tape them out.

Dee

• gobruno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still undecided! Annz, it's interesting that you think they appear too large. I was thinking that they may be too small. I would probably have them with the sides down most of the time.
    Can anybody photo shop the table in to my space? :) I guess I'm wondering, if not these, then what else?

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

They are spider gateleg tables, and I think they may not have enough mass at the bottom to stand up well with the sofa.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

They look as if they are the perfect size to fit next to your sofa with the leaves folded down. I would snatch them up, then have a piece of glass cut to fit them to cut down on further scratching. Have you asked what the measurements are?

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I would buy them in a heartbeat. The fact that they're different is what will give your room that extra look.

• User
    12 years ago

Sorry this is super crude. When I tried to cut out the area between the legs it looked terrible. Hopefully this will give you some idea.

I don't know how to make stuff look like the exact measurements but when I made the tables smaller I did select "keep scale".
    {{!gwi}}

I like them but would probably tire of them eventually. They're not something you see in everybody's LR though, which is cool.

I don't think I'd pay over $200. ...unless I really loved them.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I agree with shee, that I may get tired of them eventually. I often find that when I am on the fence about a purchase, it's because it's not the right thing for my space. Conversely, when something is right, I know it in my gut. Let me ask you though: are you hesitating due to the style, cost, or scale? If the style, then keep looking. If the cost, do make an offer. If scale, ask for more detailed measurements and try to mock it up. If at all you do decide to purchase them, then I agree that you should have glass tops made up for them and do factor that into your offer. On another note, they do look like a dusting nightmare with all the glossy black spindles.

• jockewing
    12 years ago

I think they are fan-frickin-tastic! Of course anything bamboo or asian I usually love, so it could just be me. They are so interesting even if they didn't work as end tables I feel you could find a place for them somewhere.

• dakota01
    12 years ago

If you love them, why not put them behind your couch and use them as a sofa table with a couple of lamps? Maybe find a rug with more greens and tans to match the drapes and the couch

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i think they might look nice! they would definitely make a statement in your room!

i would pull your rug completely under your sofa (pull your sofa out a couple of inches and bring the rug so the back legs are on the rug too...maybe so that your sofa back and the rug edge line up with the wall corners...)

• gobruno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm hesitating bc I hesitate with every decision! It's a wonder we have any furniture in the house. I think that I'm going to take a look at them and take them if I can get a reasonable price (and if they are in good shape and not some crazy proportion). Since I don't really "need" them, I will only take them if they are a good deal. There is a bit more in the den since that photo, which I took shortly after we moved in. I will update the photo when/if I get my tables. Opposite the couch against the wall is a wooden desk (from Ballard--the line that you can configure with file cabinets/shelves, etc), and the desk char is one of those wooden university chairs with black spindles and gold detailing, which kind of reminds of the details in this table. So, I'm hoping it'll all work together. I'll let you know!
    Thanks!

• User
    12 years ago

Personally I'd pass. By what I'm picking up from what you've written you're trying to talk yourself into them because of the brand and possibly a good price for said brand. Not a good reason at all to buy something unless you're a collector or going to resell them. Wait until you find something that makes your heart sing. You say you do this with everything. I used to do that too, until I realized why spend money on something you don't absolutely love. It's wasteful of your time, money and brain power. Relax, the perfect tables will come in time.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

justgotabme took the words outta my mouth! Don't buy something because it's a good deal if you don't really need it, especially during these economic times. Put your money into something that you need and can use at this time.

If you have them in your area, don't forget to check out the consignment shops. I see some really nice stuff coming into my local store.