SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosewitch49

Suggestions for removing unpleasant odor from bread machine?

rosewitch
13 years ago

About three months ago, I found a little used bread machine in a thrift shop. I don't think this machine was used but maybe once or twice, it looks that new. Price was less than $10. I couldn't pass it up. I love mixing bread by hand but the wrists can't handle the kneading anymore. I have been keeping up with all the posts about letting the bread machine do the heavy work and then baking the bread in the oven and it sounds like the way to go. After just getting back to work since unemployment, this was the only way I was going to be able to afford a bread machine for awhile.

My problem is the smell coming from the interior. Smells like stale cigarette smoke! Evidently the former owner was a very heavy smoker. I have cleaned the bucket. Then placed small containers of baking soda, then vinegar inside the unit for awhile, and have been keeping the unit open hoping the smell would diminish but nothing has worked. I also tried tea tree oil on a cotton ball and placed that in a small Pyrex cup inside the unit and left it for a few days, but you can still smell the cigarette smoke. I hate to waste the baking ingredients and end up with a loaf of bread that smells and taste of cigarettes.

Anyone have an idea that might work that I missed?

Thanks,

Kat

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years