SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karinl_gw

Possible to be TOO organized?

karinl
13 years ago

I have spent the last three weeks working almost daily with my MIL to deal with her bedbug infestation, which occurred through no fault of hers but still has to be dealt with.

It's been interesting, to say the least. My MIL has always been an almost pathologically organized and tidy person, and she is currently getting a little confused - she's had a couple of fairly quiet years as her family is widely distributed, and has no social initiative - won't visit seniors' programs etc. So she's pretty much been holed up in her perfectly organized apartment for a long time, barring outings to the same stores and services for the same things.

Her confusion was getting to be problematic when I started working with her. After 3 weeks of almost daily interaction with me, and dealing with the almost complete upheaval of her apartment (we spared the kitchen), she is way better. I theorize that her life was so perfectly organized and repetitive that she was giving herself zero mental stimulation in the course of her days. She never had to fire a single neuron to find anything, because she puts it away almost before she's finished using it - nothing is ever out of place.

There is a lot of negative press on this board about the evils of hoarding, and certainly, those are somewhat self-evident and reflect definite psychological issues.

But I think the other extreme is not much healthier, if at all. Actually, I'm not even sure it is a continuum, because one can hoard and still be very organized. In any event, I'm posting to float the thought that the clutter we are all fighting might actually be an intellectual stimulus on some level, especially if it moves around from time to time making us have to remember where things are and track changes we've made.

Just as house cleaning is not much physical exercise, dealing with clutter may not be much mental exercise. But when it's all you've got, maybe it's nothing to sneeze at.

KarinL

Comments (19)