SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andyf_gw

Perimeter Sill Repair, Help(1915)

andyf
18 years ago

My turn of the century home has a stone foundation. The width of the top is approx 20inches and the 5 X 5 inch perimeter sill beam sits on the outward edge of the foundation flush with the outside face.

This sill supports real 2 X 4 inch studs that go all the way up to the peak of the second floor roof in balloon type construction typical of that time.

I'm going to attach a wood porch to that side of the house.

The problem is the sill is about 1/3 rotten and in spots the frame has sagged a bit. Structurally the wall is still straight and solid probably due to 2 layers of real 1 inch planking nailed across the studs preventing it from sagging. A painted wood lathe with tar paper under covers that.

I was thinking of lag bolting a 2 X 12 directly to the studs (removing the 2 layers of 1in board in a 12inch space) in order to cover the sill and the studs. I will then pour a retainer wall approx 10 inches thick and 5 ft deep against the fieldstone to just under the 2 X 12 so that it supports it. The depth of the pour would have to be

below frost of course as the retainer wall will lift the 2 X 12 and the studs.

I really don't like this method as the beam offsets the downward pressure of the studs to the front of the studs, but I can't think of any other way to approach the problem. A better solution is to replace the sill but not without a lot of temporary lever beams supporting the wall, besides new sheet rock installed would crack and the wall would settle. There are already layers of plaster and sheetrock from a century of renovations, so it will weigh in the tonnes. I'm sure the reinforced concrete retainer wall would support the beam as the studs force the beam downward, that I'm not concerned with.

I was also thinking of pouring in rock salt in the void between the studs as I close off the wall. This old ship preserving method was used on old fishing boats. As the salt deteriorates it would eventually pickle the sill preserving it. This idea has drawbacks of the salt weakening the century old lime cement.

I was thinking of making an exception to the rule of no preserved wood on domestic structures, which makes sense

for fire and poison gas reasons, but I think this is a special case, and since the beam is on the outside face I think I may use the preserved wood.

This is a one man, no machinery, on the cheap project.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Comments (3)