SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mercy_leigh

Organization vs. Hobbies

mercy_leigh
9 years ago

How do you reconcile the space you have with the things you need or activities you enjoy?

I have two pastimes: knitting and gardening. Both of these activities have necessary supplies which need homes. The knitting is not really an issue. I have one Rubbermaid bin and a small rolling cart (looks like a piece of carry-on luggage with casters) that contain all my knitting supplies and keeps things tidy. The conundrum lies in storing my gardening supplies. We live in a condo with lawn service so there is no need of a mower or other large equipment. I do need things such as shovels, rake, loppers, hand tools, perlite, seaweed fertilizer, and the like. Spare pots are minimal most of the year and are kept neatly stacked and obfuscated outside but my tools and amendments need to be kept indoors. I tossed my tomato cages for the space in a fit of pique a couple years back and have regretted it repeatedly since. Giving up my gardening altogether would negatively impact more than just my free-time. Much of what I grow are edibles, mostly herbs, that I cook with daily. The trade-off is about a four-foot square area of my living room that looks like a potting shed.

I am not really looking for advice on how to organize my gardening supplies, although ideas of how others store similar supplies in a small home are welcome. My question is more about how others decide when a hobby is too much, how much of a hobby to pursue, and what kind of trade-offs are made.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!