SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgkritch

Cheesecake help!

dgkritch
16 years ago

I need your advice. I made this recipe (posted by margiene) yesterday and want to tweak it just a bit.

New York Cheesecake

Source: Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet

1 cup graham cracker crumbs

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted butter

1 cups sour cream

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 pound cream cheese, broken into small piece

Blend the cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup of t he sugar, and the 1/4 cup of melted butter, and line the bottom of an 8- or 9-inch ungreased springform pan.

Blend the sour cream, ½ cup sugar, the eggs, and vanilla in a food blender for 1 minute. ( I use a mixer) Add the cream cheese. Blend until smooth.

Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter through the top of the machine. Pour into the springform pan.

Bake in the lower third of 325 degree oven for 45 minutes.

When the baking is finished, remove the cake from the oven, and turn the oven on to broil. Broil the cheesecake just until the top begins to show attractive spots of brown.

Refrigerate for 4 hours, or preferably overnight, before cutting and serving.

First, I have a 10" springform pan. I made double crust and it was a bit too much. Will cut to 1 1/2 times.

I kept a single recipe of the filling, but it could be higher. More filling. It was a little creamier than I'd like. I want a traditional, thick, "stick to the roof of your mouth" cheesecake.

I am thinking that I will increase sour cream to 2 cups.

Increase the cream cheese to 3 packages, omit the melted butter in the filling.

Do you think that will achieve the results I'm looking for? Other suggestions? I need a BIG, thick, rich, plain cheesecake for my mom's birthday party next Saturday. I'm willing to experiment.....some....but there's only DH & I to eat the "test" cakes and, well, I really don't need to be eating 3 or 4 cheesecakes in the next week!!

TIA,

Deanna

Comments (29)

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's the recipe I use for "round"..

Philadelphia Cream Cheese New York Style Cheesecake

Crust
    1 c graham cracker crumbs
    2 T sugar and butter

Filling
    2lbs cream cheese
    1 c sugar
    3 T flour
    1 T vanilla
    4 eggs
    1 c sour cream
    Heat oven to 325F.
    Mix crust ingredients spread into 9" pan. Bake 10 min.
    Filling: beat cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla at med until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time mixing on low, just until blended. Blend in sour cream; pour over crust.
    Bake 1 hour 5-10minutes or until center is almost set. Cool before removing ring. Refrig 4 hours or overnight.

~This makes a very thick cheesecake in a 9"..so would make a slightly less thick in a 10".

For my Creamy cheesecake I use a recipe from Borden. It does really well in a 9x13, and usually fills the pan to about 3/4 full when baked and set.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Terri. That one sounds good too! I don't want creamy for this one. More of the "dry" texture. I still think I'll have to go 1 1/2 times the quantities for the crust. 1 cup of crumbs just didn't do it in my 10" pan. That's easy though. It's the filling texture I want to get right. Yours has more cheese, less sour cream, maybe I'll give it a try.
    This could turn into an expensive venture....thank goodness we get to eat the "mistakes". LOL They're good, just not what I'm shooting for.

Have you ever frozen cheesecake? We could taste some, then freeze in portions for eating later!

Deanna

• Related Discussions

Boca Raton FL Cheesecake Factory zn 10a Tree ID wanted

Q

Comments (7)
    Still maybe not enough resolution. I think you'll need to go back and get a closeup of the leaves. I might venture a guess of Bucida buceras (Black olive), but hopefully someone from your region will nail it!
    ...See More

How to price cheesecake?

Q

Comments (27)
    I have a small gourmet baking business on the side; I charge $25 for an 8" NY cheesecake w/ strawberry topping. I charge more for cheesecakes with more expensive ingredients and by the size; for example I am making a 10" fudge swirl cheesecake w/ choc. crust for a friend for her Thanksgiving dessert and charging $38 as I use Ghiradelli choc and it is more expensive.
    ...See More

Cheesecake pans--which one is better? (Photo)

Q

Comments (17)
    Yeah, but somehow my SO manages to make New York style cheesecake in a regular cake pan. It's a lower volume recipe. He actually makes up his own recipes, but it usually turns out good. He mostly makes pumpkin cheesecake. I'll have no problems giving either one of them away, it's just deciding which one. Right now I am leaning towards giving mine away, due to mom's having a lot of memories. HOWEVER, I think mom gave ME mine, since she probably did her own paring down when they moved into their current home and she realized she had two pans. I know after they moved out of the home I grew up in, when mom would visit she would often remark, "Oh, that's what happened to that!"
    ...See More

can you freeze a Polish style cheesecake?

Q

Comments (3)
    I am sure it will work! The key to frozen desserts is in the defrosting. I recommend unwrapping and tenting with plastic or saran and defrosting in the refrig. You don't want it to get gooey on top. dry curd cheese is just cottage cheese without the cream added...the beginning of many other cheeses, like blue, cheddar, edam, jack...and surely others.
    ...See More
  • hawk307
    16 years ago

Deanna: Here is one for a Fluffy Cheesecake and some feedback I recieved.
    Everone seems reluctant to try it. Maybe I have to be a member a few more years.
    Or it could be that they don't want to try something different. I'm always trying new experiments.
    Took 2 months and 5 pounds to get this one right.
    LOU

Fluffy Cheesecake

Ingredients:

6 extra large eggs, Separated
    1 cup of Vanilla Ice Cream
    1 ¼ Cups of Sugar
    1 /4 pound of Butter (softened in micro wave and let cool but still soft)
    2 packs of Philadelphia Cream Cheese. ( 16 Oz. )At room temp.
    Sugar ¾ cup for Batter and ½ cup for egg whites
    1 tablespoon of Lemon Juice
    6 Tablespoons of Orange juice2 teaspoons of Vanilla flavor
    Grate the skin of one orange , with a hand grater, fine side. ( 2 tablespoons )
    2 heaping tablespoons of AP flour

Beat the egg whites, until they start to peak. Add the ½ cup of Sugar,
    A little at a time, at a medium speed for 1 minute.
    Beat for another 3 minutes, or until they hold stiff peaks.
    Put aside, until the batter is mixed.

In a bowl large enough to hold the batter and beaten egg whites,
    Add the 6 egg yolks, Cream Cheese, ¾ cup of Sugar, Lemon juice, Orange Juice,
    Softened butter, Vanilla flavor, Flour , Ice Cream and grated Orange skin.

Beat this for 3 to 4 minutes, until smooth, add Cornstarch and mix on low speed 1 minute.

Fold 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the cake batter, using a rubber spatula.
    Then fold in the remaining egg whites , very easily but well.

Pour this into a 9 x 13 in. SS Pan or your favorite pan, that is oiled and dusted with flour.
    Or you can use a Graham Cracker crust.

Place this Pan into a slightly larger pan, that has about ¾ inches of water.
    And then into a pre heated 320 degree oven on the middle shelf.
    Bake for about 50 to 55 minutes or until the top is a Golden tan ( not Dark Tan !!! )
    Turn the oven off but leave the cake in, until it cools down.
    When cooled down, cover the top with Aluminum Foil and refrigerate, for at least 1 hour.

You can add a topping of your choice , a Pineapple Sauce, preserves, thickened peach pie filling , etc.
    Seems to be OK for freezing.
    LOU
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted by carnelian (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 11, 07 at 16:29
    Lou,
    I made your cheesecake yesterday, and it was delicious! Truly light and fluffy and fabulous flavor. I'd say it had a slight bit of custard-like taste, too.
    I followed your ingredients except for three things:
    I used large eggs instead of extra large because I had just bought a brand new carton.
    Instead of orange juice I used Nantucket Nectar pineapple-orange-guava.
    I left out the cornstarch because I had not seen your note on how to add it. Next time I will add it for sure.
    I used a graham cracker crust which I prebaked a few minutes. We like it with the crust.
    I did use a springform pan. That worked great, but I had to increase the baking time - maybe 15 minutes (?). Sorry, I didn't get the exact number of minutes. I just kept checking for the color you described.
    The cheesecake filled the springform pan beautifully, but as it baked, it went over the sides a bit, kind of like a muffin top. It also cracked around the edges. When it cooled, it sank in the middle, and I gently eased the edges back into place, which closed the cracks and made it all look fine. The cheesecake ended up exactly level to the top of the pan.
    The only problems were minor. It didn't cut perfectly, probably because I cut short the chilling time and because I left out the cornstarch. Later, after more fridge time, it cut a lot better. When it was baking, some liquid that looked like melted butter seeped out of the pan into the foil I had wrapped around it. I think the cornstarch would have absorbed that.
    Oh, I forgot; I served it with fresh plain red raspberries.
    It was yummy and it was different! My neighbors loved it and asked for the recipe.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

yes, and I love it still frozen..
    the texture changes a bit sometimes once thawed, but depending on the lenght of freezing time, I've not noticed a difference too...

oh and certainly 1 and a half the crust recipe. Although I prefer a shortbread crust..I stock on Trefoil Girl Scout cookies just for crusts..LOL

• User
    16 years ago

Here is my recipe, it is very much a NY cheesecake. Can't see you doing this one as a trial run........but FWIW

Cheesecake Supreme

1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup butter melted
    40 ounces cream cheese (5 8 oz packages)
    1 3/4 cups sugar
    3 TBSP flour
    grated rind of 1 lemon
    grated rind of 1/2 orange
    5 eggs
    2 egg yolks
    1/4 cup whipping cream
    Fruit and glaze

Mix graham cracker crumbs sugar and melted butter. Butter a 10 inch springform pan. Press crumb mix into the bottom of the pan. Let the remaining ingredients except cream come to room temp. Beat cheese until fluffy. Mix sugar and flour together and gradually mix into the cheese, beating mixture smooth. Mix in grated rinds. Add eggs and egg yolks one at a time beating well after each. Stir in cream. Pour over crust.

Cook in preheated 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200 and cook for 1 hour ( NOTE: I always seem to have to cook it longer than this to get it to set properly, usually 1 1/2 hours) Remove from oven, place on rack away from drafts and cool. When cool refrigerate in pan until cold. Remove from pan and place on serving plate. Top with fruit and glaze and refrigerate until serving time. ~

Note to self: Next time try 475 then 225 see if cooks faster. Also place pan of water under or use Baine Marie. Also run knife around edges about half way through and leave in oven with door open to cool.

Fruit and Glaze.

Arrange 4 or 5 canned apricot halves around centre of cake(reserve juice). Circle the apricots with canned pineapple wedges, (4 rings quartered) reserve juice. Alternate fresh starwberry halves and green grapes to form outer circle. Mound about 1/3 cup blueberries in the very centre , inside the ring of apricots.~

To make glaze combine the apricot and pineapple syrups to make 3/4 of a cup. Add 1 TBSP of lemon juice. Combine 1 TBSP cornstarch with 2 TBSP cold water. Add to juices and cook stirring until thickened. Add a drop yellow food colouring if desired. Spoon over fruit.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Deanna: If you use a Springform pan ,wrap the bottom and up the sides , so water doesn't get to the cake.

This recipe has a slightly drier but creamy texture that you are looking for.
    It is pre tested and pre errorized.
    LOU

• lindac
    16 years ago

Lindy's New York style cheese cake Guaranteed to be the dense, stick to the roof of your mouth cake you are seeking...
    And feel free to use a graham crucker crust if you prefer.

Secret Lindy's-Style New York Cheesecake

Cookie Pastry Crust
    1/4 lb. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1/4 c. sugar
    1 egg
    1 1/2 c. flour

Beat the butter and sugar in a medium mixing bowl with electric mixer on
    medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 mins.
    Add the egg and flour and mix until a smooth dough is formed.
    With your hands, shape it into a ball and flatten it into a disc.
    Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it until it's firm.
    Remove the sides from the springform pan and press one third of
    the pastry evenly over the bottom.
    Place on baking sheet and bake in 400F oven for 6 mins. or until golden.
    Remove from the oven and cool.
    Increase oven temperature to 500F.
    Butter the sides of the springform pan and attach it to the bottom.
    Press the remaining pastry about two thirds up the sides.

Filling
    5 8-oz. pkgs. cream cheese, room temperature
    1 3/4 c. sugar
    3 T. flour
    2 t. lemon peel
    1 1/2 t. orange peel
    1/4 t. salt
    1/4 t. vanilla
    5 eggs plus 2 egg yolks, room temperature
    1/4 c. sour cream

Beat the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed
    until smooth and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
    Gradually add the sugar, flour, lemon and orange peel, salt and vanilla, beating constantly.
    Add eggs and yolks one at a time, beating well after each egg.
    Scrape the bowl one or two more times.
    Add in the sour cream; the mixture will be thin.
    Pour it into the pastry-lined springform pan.

Put it together

Place the pan on a baking sheet.
    Bake it in the oven at 500F for 8 mins. or until the top is golden.
    Reduce the oven temperature to 200F (don't open the oven!) and continue to bake it
    for 1 hour or until the center jiggles slightly.
    When finished cooking, shut off the open, prop the door open,
    and let the cheesecake sit in the oven for about 3 or 4 hrs.
    Once it's finished cooling, wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it several hours or overnight.

Serve it up!

Remove the sides of the springform pan.
    Now you can add whatever glaze, ganache, or other spread you desire over the top of the cheesecake.
    Keep it refrigerated until serving time!

Linda C

• User
    16 years ago

Linda methinks our recipes are pretty much identical except yours uses sour cream and mine whipping cream.

Damn fine dense cheesecake.....

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOU: Don't tell people about the 5 pounds...they'll never try it!! LOL Your's is actually on my "to try" pile.....I just never seem to have enough "time to try". Be patient, sir! I'm not doing it this time because I want DENSE, not fluffy!! (I'll probably forever be known as "the dense one" now....hee hee).

Terri: Good to know I can freeze. I'm seeing an awful lot of cheesecake in my future! Oh well, mom's only turning 65 once....I HAVE to get this right!

Chase & Linda: WOW! Five pkgs. of cheese. That's probably what makes it so dense, huh? I don't want the lemon and orange in there, but I should be able to omit without issues. I wonder why not just 6 eggs?? Five eggs and 2 yolk, huh? Well, can't hurt to give it a try!
    These two are very similiar...hmmmm...

Looks like another shopping trip is in order....I've only got a pound of cream cheese left in the fridge.....

I'll post with results!!
    Thank yOU ALL!
    Deanna

• User
    16 years ago

Deanna the lemon and orange is very nice, there but not there...however I have made it without as well...not a key ingredient...but the 40 oz of cheese is a must! So is the slow cooking.

Stacy has had my cheesecake maybe she will pipe in.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Funny....sour cream or whipping cream...other than that the same!
    I usually omit the citrus and up the venilla...or sometimes just add the lemon and vanilla...not an issue.
    And this is a BIG cheese cake...serves 12 easily.
    Calls for 5 eggs and 2 yolks becaus the "standard" cheese cake recipe calls for 1 egg and 1/2 cup sugar per 8 oz of cr. cheese....and this has a little more egg yolk to make it extra thick. Egg yolks thicken.
    Linda C

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

and egg yolks add richness...

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm going to try a combination of the two.
    Chase's graham crust, Linda's sour cream. No citrus.

It's only SO important because it's part of a joke.
    My mom & I went on cruise in July. For 3 days, she bugged our waiter about getting PLAIN cheesecake. They always had strawberry swirled or chocolate swirled or something. She kept telling the waiter "No, just plain...like New York Cheesecake." Poor guy was from Turkey!!

On the evening of our last night, he brought out a plain white dessert plate with a slice of provolone and a piece of pound cake.......PLAIN (Plate).........CHEESE (provolone).........CAKE (pound cake). He had a hard time keeping a straight face.....it was hilarious!! We have pictures to prove it!!

Anyway, that's where it all started....in case anybody cares! LOL

Deanna

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

that is a great story..and will mean alot to her...

• san_
    16 years ago

this is very good and i think, in the style you are looking for...BTW--that's a great story!!!

Brians Baked NY Style Cheesecake

Beat together on high speed:
    16 oz cream cheese
    16 oz creamed cottage cheese

Gradually add in:
    1 ½ C sugar
    4 eggs

Turn to low speed and add:
    3 T corn starch
    3 T flour
    1 ½ T lemon juice
    1 tsp vanilla

Add and beat until smooth:
    1 stick of melted butter
    1 pint sour cream

Grease a 9" springform pan and pour the batter in. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the edges are firm. Turn off the oven and leave it in for 2 more hours to cool down. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely before refrigerating it.

• Kay
    16 years ago

Deanna,
    I think you definitely are on the right track to use Linda or Chase's recipe for the type of cheesecake you're looking for. I personally think it's that bit of flour that counteracts the creaminess and creates that dry "New York" texture.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Deanna: Maybe someday you will try my Cheesecake and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
    It is light and fluffy and creamy and sticks to the roof of your mouth.
    You can buy NY Cheesecake anywhere. You can't buy mine.
    My heart bleeds for you .
    LOU

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

My favorite desserts in the world is Creme Brulee and plain NY cheesecake. I never make cheesecake of any kind because of my big HI-C. I imbibe too much in cream sauces and must not have both. I would love to try all of these cheesecakes you have posted here.

I only chimed in to tell you that I recently saw a famous baker on TV showing how to make her cheesecake and she used creme fraiche instead of the sour cream. She thought it was much better. Just wondering if any of you have tried that and what you thought? I'm still dreaming of one day getting to eat cheesecake again.

Beverly

• lindac
    16 years ago

Considering that you would use 1/4 cup....it doesn't matter a bit if you use creme fraiche, sour cream, whipping cream...or perhaps even butter milk.
    That's not a lot of stuff in the total.
    And I agree with you, carnelian....the flour and all the eggs make for that wonderful dense cake.
    Linda C

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Carnelian: ????????????????????????

• lindac
    16 years ago

Yes....carnelian.
    About 4 posts back...back up and read.
    Linda C

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

How much sour cream, creme fraiche, etc you would use depends on which recipe you are using. Many recipes call for a full cup. I would say it could make a great deal of difference.

Beverly

• Kay
    16 years ago

Lou, LOL! Yes, I loved your cheesecake and can vouch for it! I'm actually in the camp that prefers lighter, creamier cheesecakes like that, but I know a lot of people prefer the other type. I've made both many times, but I don't make the dry type anymore unless somebody in the family requests it.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

We liked Lou's cheesecake, too! I love NY cheesecake, too, this was a little different.

Marilyn had two recipes that were also very good.
    EAST COAST CHEESECAKE (danain)
    1 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    5 (8 oz. pkgs.) cream cheese, room temperature
    13/4 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons flour
    5 large eggs, room temperature
    2 large egg yolks, room temperature
    1/3 cup sour cream, room temperature
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Coat the inside of a spring form pan with shortening. Combine crumbs, ¼ cup sugar and butter in and press on sides and bottom of pan; refrigerate. Preheat oven to 500°. Beat together cream cheese, 1¾ cups sugar and flour with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time beating on low speed until incorporated, scraping bowl between additions. Mix in sour cream and vanilla. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Pan will be completely full. Make a water bath: Wrap foil around the outside of filled pan. Place pan in a larger baking dish and pour hot water in the baking dish to come half way up the sides of the spring form pan.

Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes at 500° then reduce heat to 200° and continue to bake without opening oven door for 1 hour. Check cake. It should be very brown on top. Continue to bake until slightly wobbly when pan is gently shaken, about another 35 minutes. Remove from oven and run a knife around top edge of cake to loosen. Cool cake completely in spring form pan on a rack at room temperature, about 3 hours. Refrigerate cake covered loosely with wax paper for at least 6 hours. Remove side of pan and bring to room temperature before serving. Will keep for approximately 2 weeks refrigerated.
    notes - For 1/2 recipe bake in a 7" spring form pan for 10 minutes at 500° then about 50 minutes at 200°.

HOLLYWOOD TWO-TONE CHEESECAKE (danain)
    CRUST:
    11/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup butter, melted

PART 1:
    1 pound cream cheese; softened
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 eggs; room temperature
    3/4 teaspoon vanilla

PART 2:
    2 cups sour cream; room temperature
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine crust ingredients thoroughly. Grease 9-inch round pan with shortening (or use a spring form pan). Cover sides of pan with 1 cup having it come up 1-inch from the top of pan. Press remaining in bottom. Refrigerate while preparing part 1. Combine part 1 ingredients with electric mixer until smooth (beat 2 to 3 minutes). Spread into pan. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, place on rack; stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Raise oven temperature to 475°. About 2 minutes before 15 minutes standing time is up, prepare second part of filling. With a spoon mix part 2 ingredients until well blended. Pour over 1st part, starting from side to center, spread evenly and gently. Bake at 475° about 10 minutes. Let stand at room temperature on rack for 5 to 6 hours before releasing from pan. Loosen crumbs on sides of pan allowing them to drop on edge of cake. Remove cake carefully or serve from pan.

Do not cut until the following day. Cover with waxed paper and store in coldest part of refrigerator for 12 hours or longer. Keeps 3 to 4 days. Cake is about 1¼-inch high.

Tip: When baking cake, place a pan of hot water under cake on lower rack. This will prevent cake from cracking.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

oh yeah - I can vouch for Chase's cheesecake. I think you will be extremely happy with the results. YUM!

I've also made san's. It was my very first cheesecake ever and came out perfect. And delicious!

Stacy

• Nancy
    16 years ago

I love ALL cheesecakes, be they the heavy, dense version, or the light creamy style. All I have actually made before have been the dense type, mine maybe more than normal. I seem to overcook, they end up with cracks that are bigger than the cheesecake! But still tasty. I normally prefer the ones that add sour cream. I've had Lou's version down to try next, I've been in the mood for a "light, airy" version & hope this will be it. Just have to wait for my son to come home from college since I would be eating it all by myself otherwise. And I would eat it all too unfortunately.

• lindac
    16 years ago

How about cheese cake in a flash? I haven't made this in years and years, but it was a dessert I made fairly often when I needed something quickly.
    Make a graham cracker crust by whatever recipe you like...I make the one on the back of the box of Nabisco crumbs. Bake and chill....or in a real hurry don't bake at all!
    In a blender, mix 1 cup milk and 8 oz cream cheese, add one package instant vanilla pudding and `1/2 tsp real vanilla extract ( to combat the artificial vanilla in the pudding), chill until set....about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
    Top each serving with fresh fruit or canned crushed pineapple.
    Not my idea of a cheesecake, but it's dessert and for a quickie, pretty darned good.
    Linda C

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Lindac: I've had that before . It's good and it is a quickie.

Ngraham: I think you should try one, to make sure you like it.
    That's what I had to do for 2 months, while I got it the way I wanted.

I had to sacrifice myself again to make sure it was good.

If you have a Graham crust, I would use it. Makes it easier to serve. Also ,you can freeze the Cheesecake.
    LOU

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, update!!
    I forgot to take pics (she said, smacking her forehead...)

I made LindaC's cheesecake, but with a cookie crust from a recipe book I have. Don't ask, but suffice it to say I COULD NOT bring myself to pay $3.49 a box for graham crackers when I can go to my local discount store (where DH is employed) and use my discount and buy for about $1.00/box.

Anyway...
    It's perfect! Nice and tall. Traditional NY style. Just what mom will like. The top was just slightly darker than I like, so I'll put a piece of foil on the rack above it when I back the final version (WITH graham crust) on Friday.
    I promise, promise, PROMISE to take pics.

LOU: You crack me up! I WILL LOVE yours.....when I get time to try it. I'm sure of it. I just can't stomach any more cheesecake THIS WEEK!!! LOL.

Thanks to all who posted........looks like we'll being testing out lots of versions over the next few months. It's DH's favorite dessert, so I won't have any complaints there!!

Deanna