SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillkins

Questions on how to recess a refrigerator

jillkins
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have looked through several of the postings on how to recess a full size frig into the wall so it looks like a built it.

I have side panels on each side of the frig that are 25 1/4". Directly behind the frig is an interior wall with the other side being a small laundry room.

If I have DH remove the drywall from the frig side and then cut out the studs, do we just need to frame in the opening?

How do I know if it is a supporting wall? The reason I ask is that although the wall directly behind the frig is interior, further down by the stove it becomes an exterior wall. There is also a door opening right next to frig, so I don't know if that would create too big of an unsupported wall space.

Also, what do we do with the electrical outlet? We have drawers on one side of the frig, so I am not sure if there is enough room to get a socket behind them. Otherwise we have a cabinet above the frig and could probably relocate the outlet up there as long as the frig plug is long enough.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but before I propose the idea to DH, I want to make sure I have done my research.

I am including some pics of our layout. Ignore the current frig, it has already been returned.

a href="http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/jillkins/?action=view&current=Frig1.jpg"; target="_blank">

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths