SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendreaming_gw

Refrigerator questions: extended warranty/ recessing

kitchendreaming
13 years ago

hi, this is a cross-posting with the kitchen forum. I thought I might get answers here too...

We have lots of questions about the refrigerator...first time we buy one!

we are considering buying the Kenmore 19.7 cubic feet, bottom freezer,model 7809. I will also ask in the appliances forum. My questions are: does anybody have this model? Is it noisy?

We were asked $279 for a 3 years warranty or $409.99 for 5 years warranty. The warranty will cover cleaning once a year which we were told we need to do. I never buy this kind of warranties because it already comes with one year warranty and I like paying with American Express which adds a second year. The cost of the refrigerator is about $700 so the warranty seems very expensive. Is it true that we need to clean (the filters or something?) once a year???? Have never done this before.

How do you clean underneath the refrigerator? I saw once on the internet that there are models that you just pull out, the Kenmore is not so easy, but the salesperson said it is not so difficult either, as long as it is not connected to the water line.

The size of the ref. is 29 1/2" wide and 27" deep without the door. It will back a wall that is being rebuilt,so we thought we would recess it into the wall as much as possible (3 or 4" ?). This is necessary so that it does not block a window. It comes with ice maker, no water filtration (no models in this size seem to have the water filtration). It does not seem worth it connecting the water just for ice, because of the inches that I will loose in the back... I think I will ask the contractor to leave the plumbing ready but not actually connect...The clearance required is 2" but they told me if I do not connect the water, then 1" should be OK. When recessing a refrigerator, should the carcass (not including the door) be flush with the countertops or the cabinets???? It seems if I want to be able to open the door it should be flush with the countertops, but everywhere I read the cabinets...Are there any suggestions about this?

thanks so much, sorry for all the questions, your help will be appreciated!

Comments (6)