SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcd02

Is Home Depot's extended warranty a good idea for LG washers?

bcd02
16 years ago

First, I want to thank everyone that has taken time to share their experience and knowledge on this site. About a year ago, I was searching for answers to why my laundry was not coming out as clean and fresh as I thought it should, and my search led me to this forum. I scarcely sorted my laundry, and I confess that my knowledge went no further than "colors = cold water/no bleach; Whites = hot water/ bleach ok.

I found some great information, learned the error of my ways, and bookmarked this web address for future reference.

Well, after 20 years of trouble free service, my no frills Amana top load began to stop intermittently in mid cycle, requiring consistent supervision to force it to complete the wash. The one positive note  I got the opportunity to see first hand why front loaders can be superior at washing clothes, because I got to see what my no frills top loader final rinse water looked like. I made the decision to try a front loader, and visited this forum once again for guidance.

Unfortunately, my 10 year old Kenmore dryer died a sudden and unexpected death (motor worn out) within a week of purchasing my new LG washer. My previously mentioned washer disatisfaction led me to think I should spend more for a few more features on my new washer, so there was no budget for a new dryer as well. IÂve never had a need or desire to have a matching washer and dryer, but the ability to stack the units was extremely appealing as my laundry room is small, and the front loading washer and dryer doors were going to be a problem if side by side. I was going to buy an Amana dryer, but I found a scratched LG at the Sears outlet for less $, so the option to have a matching dryer that I could stack won out. I had been dissatisfied with my Kenmore for many years due to what I considered was a design flaw, and I had purchased a Maytag dishwasher a few years ago that proved to be a disappointment as well  hence my willingness to try LG. I live in metro Atlanta, so I thought service availability would be a little better. This leads me to my question:

I did not buy an extended warranty. I am not so concerned about the dryer, but some of horror stories (which I found and read after taking delivery) have me thinking "what ifÂÂ" I bought the washer new in the box from Home Depot, and IÂm wondering if I should scurry to get the warranty before too much time passes. Home Depot is a far different (worse) company than they used to be, so IÂm wondering if their extended warranty provides any kind of safety net. Does anyone have experience with obtaining LG service via the Home Depot?

Comments (6)