SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Which cookware would you choose?

doucanoe
16 years ago

Thinking I need new pots and pans. I am not terribly knowledgeable as to what to look for. Here are a couple of the sets I am thinking of. Would love your input. I don't want non-stick, so am looking at stainless, and I don't want to spend a fortune. I will probably either keep one of the old non-stick pans I have for when I need it or get a separate non stick pan aside from the set.

Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 10-Piece Cookware Set

Product Features

*Classic cookware made of mirror finish 18/10 stainless steel

*8- and 10-inch skillets; 1-1/2- and 3-quart covered saucepans

*3-1/2-quart sauté pan; and 8-quart covered stockpot

Solid, riveted handles, aluminum in base for even heating

Safe for dishwasher, freezer, broiler, and oven to 550 degrees F

KitchenAid Gourmet Essentials 10\-Piece Brushed Stainless\-Steel Cookware Set Product Features \*1\-, 2\-, and 3\-quart covered saucepans; 8\-quart covered stockpot; and 8\- and 10\-inch open French skillets \*18/10 stainless\-steel interior and exterior; durable and easy to care for \*18/10 stainless\-steel handles encased in silicone rubber; soft, cool grip \*Durable 18/10 stainless\-steel lids. Can be washed in dishwasher; oven\-safe up to 400 degrees F; lifetime limited warranty

Linda

Comments (26)

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Linda, I really love the new Calphalon Stainless. Nice heavy bottoms. The aluminum layer goes all the way up the sides and once you've had see thru lids it's hard to think of going back to solid metal lids.... I've been using the 6 1/2 qt dutch oven and 4 1/2 qt sauce pan over any other pans I have, I love them.

Just my $$$.02!

I didn't search for different sets or better prices, but here is what they are...

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 pc set at Amazon

• robinkateb
    16 years ago

Linda. between those 2 choices I would go with the cuisinart because it can go into the oven at a higher temperature. If it was me however I would not get a set as I have different needs for different pan sizes and many of the pans in a set I would not use. So I would just replace my pots and pans a piece at a time as I found good deals.

-Robin

• Related Discussions

If you could have any kitchen layout, which one would you choose?

Q

Comments (15)
    I did an L shaped with Island. It works for the way we cook and entertain. In past kitchens... We have had a G shaped , A giant U shaped with inside U island. (really a barrier), Galley kitchen, a galley that turned into a L at the end, a U with a peninsula, an L shaped.. and when we did our final kitchen. We chose an L shape with giant Island and wide wide aiels to accommodate friends and multiple cooks. Think about the way you cook. If my kitchen were only about cooking I would do the Galley as that is easy for a single cook with various work stations and saves on stepping to complete a task.
    ...See More

Which color would you choose?

Q

Comments (7)
    Boy, I can relate. We got our fun artsy mountain house to retire, too! Complete with stained glass with lots of wood and color. We chose Kelly Moore Swiss Coffee 23. White yet a soft off-white is the perfect backdrop for everything. Their best seller, so yes, it works.
    ...See More

Which would you choose?

Q

Comments (8)
    I'd probably pick the white and do something different w the counter choice...backsplash option ..stained or painted shelves....maybe insert glass doors in the uppers w lit interior. Dining spots can contain more personalized things not only the table with ts wood species/ or paint ... chairs-covered?? /rug / table decor/ art on walls etc so the white would be a better pick as the gray has to be heeded when choosing the "other things" . If there are no drawers...but why dont you get one drawer with the hinged lowers?? then you are saving money ....and the glass doors w lit interior would be my firm request.
    ...See More

Which Window Muntin Design Would You Choose?

Q

Comments (8)
    Asking the size for context as some of your windows are fairly small and the width of the muntin may take away a considerable amount of visible glass. Are these going on the doors as well or only the windows?
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    16 years ago

Sorry Linda, I didn't realize I had the wrong set in the first post.

What I have is from the Contemporay Calphalon line...

I totally agree with what Robin just said, don't buy a whole set, pick up individule pieces based on your needs.

Any good outlet malls up your way? I have bought all my pans at a Calphalon outlet store at Birch Run here in Michigan....great deals!

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Calphalon...Contemporary

• daria
    16 years ago

I'd vote for Cuisinart, if their pans are produced anything like their knives.

Last year at Christmastime I did a comparison of Cuisinart knives versus Kitchen Aid knives, for a gift for my mother-in-law. The Cuisinart set beat Kitchen Aid in the quality department by a long shot. The way you are describing the pan set sounds like the knives - their knife set had more knives, was less expensive (BJ's Wholesale Club had a great price), and was just more versatile.

I have the nonstick Calphalon Contemporary and love them! I have a base set with lots of add ons (I just got married a few years ago, and I'm in my low 30's, so I knew what I wanted and needed), and I use pretty much all of them at some point or another during the year. None of them are useless. The ones I use the most are: the 10-quart stock pot, the 8-quart stock pot, the pasta pot with strainer, the 12" and 10" frying pans, and the two 3-quart "pot-lucky" pans. At Thanksgiving they're all in use! :)

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Linda, I have the Calphalon Professional which I love. Best of all, there is a store very close to me that sells the 2nds. Usually it is just a tiny nick or scratch, but they are like half the price. I couldn't tell you about the ones you are looking at. Only had Calphalon, and then I have started adding Staub cast iron pieces also.
    Sherry

• lindac
    16 years ago

Well you probably have guessed what I am going to say....
    Don't buy a set.
    Get the 1, 2 and 3 quart sauce pans in a fairly inexpensive clad stainless. Unless you cook very differently than most you don't need the niceties of the calphalon or the Cuisinart for pans that will mostly be used to boil potatoes or veggies or make some quick mac and cheese for the kids.
    The stock pot in that set is too small and not right for a dutch oven or the uses.
    Then spend your money on a Le Cruset Dutch oven....maybe 2, get a Le C skillet that can go into the oven, and a clad 12 qt stock pot, a non stick skillet for eggs.
    Don't think "set" think specific pieces for specific dishes that you make or would like to make.
    Linda c

• ziporion
    16 years ago

I bought a Cuisinart set about 10 years ago and really didn't like them at all, as the handles heat very quickly. I've since bought All-Clad one piece at a time as I could afford them, and I love them! Check out buys on Ebay too.
    And I'd go for cast iron fry pans as well.

Catherine

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Well, I don't have a matching set of anything but I can tell you that my four favorite pieces are, in order:

30 year old cast iron skillet
    equally old cast iron dutch oven
    8 1/2 quart Calphalon stockpot
    3 quart Calphalon deep saute pan (which is really Elery's, but I haven't given it back, LOL)

I LOVE the Calphalon, it's a breeze to clean, well made, goes from my stove top to oven. The cast iron is similarly a breeze to clean, well made and goes from stove top to oven. The Calphalon weighs a bit less. (grin)

I also wouldn't buy a set, I don't think. There is always that one sized saucepan or smallest skillet, etc, that doesn't get used. Then again, if you can get the pieces you need and want in a set for less than you could purchase them separately, I'd say go for it!

Annie

• Marigene
    16 years ago

I recently bought a Tramontina 1 1/2 quart sauce pot (triple clad) and love it. It is very heavy and cleans up beautifully.I will be looking for more pieces of this brand when I go to TJMaxx, etc. I also have a couple pieces of Cuisinart and Calphalon that I really like, too.

I wouldn't buy a set, as others have already mentioned, there are going to be pieces that you probably will not use.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

I'm in Marigene's camp. Several years ago I made the decision to buy grown up pots and pans. I went into my usual analysis paralysis and finally decided on Tramontina. They have the attributes of All Clad at a lower cost. I agree with those who say not to purchase a set. I was fortunate that at the time Tramontina pieces were readily available at the discount stores like TJMaxx.

My very first forum box was from a guy on the Cookware Forum who found the piece I was missing and bought it and sent it to me. I was dumb founded that he was so kind...little did I know that that was/is the norm on these forums.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Aluminum or copper in the base is preferred because SS isn't as good at even heat conduction.

• compumom
    16 years ago

I'm not a fan of stainless cookware. I like my calphalon and my Mario Battali enameled cast iron. I have some saucepans that are non-stick Analon. They work well. When they start to peel then I'll replace them with something else.
    Cathy/Mustangs sent me a 10'skillet that's non-stick with a french label. I love it! In fact I saw a smaller one at Homegoods and snapped it up too! I agree, don't buy a set, pick up the odd one as you need it. Sets look pretty when displayed but that's about it.
    I'd also take a look at Macy's. Martha Stewart has a signature line for them that looked quite nice. Also check out Bed Bath and Beyond to see what they have. Calphalon etc always runs deals on a trial piece and great discounts when you buy sets. If you need a 20% off coupon, let me know. I'll be happy to send you a couple.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I tried about 3 different ss brands before settling on Anolon and I just love it. Except I do not like the ss fry pans at all including Calphalon, but I've used cast iron for so long that it is hard to me to change.

I bought my Commerical Anolon set at Overstock.com. They now have an Anolon Advanced set available with $2.95 shipping too.

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Anolon Advanced Tri-Ply

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

10'skillet that's non-stick with a french label. I love it!

Is there any way you can ID the skillet a bit better? I'm looking for new non-stick fry pans.

Michelle

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I must be the only one that doesn't like cast iron. I have a cast iron skillet that I seasoned according to directions I got from this forum a few years ago and it still sticks like crazy and everything tastes like iron. Needless to say it is in storage.

I am sure I am doing something wrong, but not sure what.

I hate non stick, too, that's why I want plain old stainless. Good point about the copper bottoms, Gina, I'll keep that in mind.

So a pan at a time it is, then!

Linda

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I can't stand those ugly black frying pans ...maybe outside for a campfire but on my pretty stove? Blah!
    Anyway, lots of options but if you can go often to a Homegoods...over several months you'll find lots of deals.
    And, if you can wait till the holidays, department stores have some good deals too.

I have some of everything and find over the years aluminum pans warp too much for my ceramic cooktop.

I wish I had bought one of those funky patterned frying pans last time I was at Homegoods.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Yup, aluminum warps. I bought a set of pots at Costco a while back that I love. It's a Kirkland (Costco generic brand) copycat of All-clad stainless/copper. I don't see it on their web site currently though. It was way cheap so I went ahead and got the set!

I don't use cast iron because it's just so dang heavy. Though I may break down and buy a Le Creuset dutch oven someday.

• elisamcs
    16 years ago

I agree with the others about not buying a set. HOWEVER, it's sometimes cheaper to buy a set than to buy individual pans. I have - and love - the tri-ply set from Sam's Club. It's called Member's Mark, and I believe it's their name on Tramontina cookware. It's stainless with an aluminum core all the way up the sides, and I think it's less than $130 for the whole set. That said, I love my two Le Creuset Dutch ovens. Nothing beats that for stews, pot roasts, etc. I got those online from Caplan-Duval in Montreal. Even with shipping, it was cheaper than anywhere here in the States.

Have you looked on the Cookware forum? Lots of input there. Good luck.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Linda - Just to let you know, you're not alone with seasoning woes. I have some old cast iron that is great. I have some Lodge pre-seasoned cast iron that is great. The pans that I seasoned from scratch myself, forget it.

90% of what I make in a skillet is in stainless. I have both All-Clad SS and Calphalon Tri-Ply and am very happy with them.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Michelle, I went on a search today for the brown French cookware (the swap package was brown) that I bought for Ellen. Sorry, no luck.

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

Im on the same page as LINDAC

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Thanks Cathy for trying to find the brand. I think I will just start picking up odd pans at Tuesday Morning and Homegoods until I find one that I like.

Michelle

• pkramer60
    16 years ago

I too am with Linda on this. Grab a couple of items, maybe a small set, and keep your eyes open at TJMaxx/Marshalls'/HomeGoods. you might also want to check at Costco for a set and then let it grow.

I love the Calphalon non-stick lines and just last week found a large saute pan for $15. That was a no brainer for me!

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

I like stainless with a thermal core for a lot of things but when I want something to sear really nicely, the anodized aluminum is great so a mix works best for me.

Amazon Friday sale has the Calaphon professional big saute pan (they call it "everyday" pan)and one of the sauce pans on sale for a really good price. The everyday pan is one of my favorites (it may be similar to the 3 quart deep saute Annie mentioned). Also a Farberware stainless set.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread on Amazon Friday sale

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

Well, I don't like stainless much. It creates fond rather quickly which easily turns into burned crap rather quickly too. This characteristic is ideal for scallopine, but not as well for thick chicken breasts unless transfered to the oven.
    I do use the stainless when appropriate but I would also want pans in enameled cast iron and non stick.

My optimal kitchen has a variety of pan types in each shape.
    In other words, multiple frying pans in cast iron, enameled cast iron, non stick and stainless. Same for dutch ovens and
    sauce pans.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Linda: I would take a good look to what Lindac is saying.
    Go with your individual needs for cooking.

You might want a 10 to 12 Quart Stock Pot. You may not need it right now but it sure comes in handy to cook a large batch of Spaghetti Sauce or Soup for making individual servings for your freezer.

As I said in other threads, I've had a 12 Quart stock pot since the 50's.
    It is a Farbre Ware Alluminum Clad bottom.

I also have an assortment of other stock pots, skillets,
    and sauce pans w lids.

One thing I use very often, is a Waterless Cooker.
    It is a very thick Alluminum Cooker w a Domed lid.
    It has an Orange Peel finish. It is a hand me down of my Grandmother's, made in the 30's. Cooks Great.

There have had some good deals on Amazon, that were posted here in the last few weeks.

I wouldn't rush into buying. Look around and keep asking.

LOU

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm