SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilydilly_gw

Identifying the obstacles

lilydilly
15 years ago

Talley Sue used this phrase "identifying the obstacles" in an older post, and I realised that this exactly describes one of the processes I've been trying to do lately. There are some jobs that I put off, avoid, make myself do, while some others I don't even think about and just do happily or automatically.

Eg. For years, cleaning windows has been a job I've claimed to detest, so having built a home with oodles of glass to make the most of a magical view, I decided I had to try to overcome whatever my aversion to window cleaning was. So I thought and thought about it, I asked people about it, and in the end this is what I found.

There is nothing about the actual activity itself that I don't enjoy. And it's not overwhelm by the size of the task, because I still felt the same about it, doing just one window a week/month. And yet I could happily clean both toilets every day. Ok, what was the difference?

I *know* exactly how to clean my loos, I have the tool I like, the product I like, I have it on hand, and I don't have to even think about the process.

With glass, I was never really sure *how* I should do it? What's the best method, the best product, the best tool...too many choices, and I ended up doing something different every time... newspaper and vinegar, then my friends would recommend a squeegee with windex, someone else said a chamois worked best... Even before I started, I was bothered, uncertain, kind of dithering about in my mind, and i never felt like I had a "handle" on how I could do it.

So, I spent a day doing research on the internet, on professional window cleaner's forums and sites, and found out what they used, and how they did it. Amazingly they all recommended the same thing. Then I got myself a bucket with the tools and spray bottle and rags they all recommended, ready to go. Simple. Now when I grab that bucket, I just clean a window without that sinking feeling. There might be another method that even works better, but I don't care, because I have mine, now. In that case the obstacle was that I couldn't get my mind settled on a method.

Next thing I avoid? cleaning the lint filter in the dryer. Now that's a 5 second no-brainer and the trash bin is right next to the dryer. What was the problem? Ok, whenever I clean the lint filter, some dust gets out and I like to dust around the dryer itself, and the doors and seals. Easy....the swiffer dust rags are right there in the cupboard below. Oh, but on top of the dryer I keep the drying rack that came with it, for if ever I want to dry sneakers in the dryer, and whenever it gets bumped, it falls down, and whenever I dust the dryer I have to be careful not to bump this stupid thing, because it's an awkward thing.

AHA...obstacle found. I moved the dryer rack, (I've never actually used it, so why have I even kept it?) and suddenly it's no problem to clean the lint filter.

Ok, is this making sense at all to anyone, or do I need my brain re-wired? I've decided to kind of work backwards through the process, till I "identify the obstacle".

Some things are so simple, like discovering I didn't avoid vacuuming, once I made the vacuum cleaner easily accessible. Others are more complex, like working out why I wasn't enjoying grocery shopping. I worked back through that one, until I found it was the state of the fridge at home that affected the mood I shopped in. It wasn't the shopping itself, it was the thought of bringing "new" groceries home to put in a fridge with milk rings, crumbs and floating snow peas. I don't have a problem with cleaning fridges, so I simply do it before I go to town, and I honestly look forward to shopping for groceries now. Obstacle: not the grocery shopping, but having a clean landing zone for them.

Here are some I have yet to solve.

I don't like under my sink. I know the obstacle is all the gear that has to be under there.... plumbing, garbage disposal, water filter, electrical outlets, retractable tap tube. It looks ugly so I avoid cleaning under there, because even when I do, it still all looks ugly. I've found the obstacle, but not the solution...yet.

I just think it'd be wonderful to have a home where I simply move through it, loving every corner, caring for it all happily, and not baulking at anything. So by going backwards through the process of tasks I don't enjoy, I'm hoping I can come up against the thing that makes me "balk", and find a way to eliminate it.

Anyone relate to this? AAAgghhh. please don't let me think I'm the only one who finds great satisfaction in solving where to put the potato peeler. I mean, my kids would just look at me and say, "Mum, this is *lint" we're talking about, is it? l.i.n.t, Mum, not world peace".

Well, maybe world peace begins with lint (LOL), if I could just go back through the process. Aaagggh. Maybe I need to get out more.

Anyone?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!