SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carmellia_gw

Identifying an apple tree

carmellia
16 years ago

I saw an extraordinary apple tree over the weekend and I would love to know what it is and get one for myself.

It was growing in a remote fence line out in the middle of nowhere. I suppose it is a crabapple. The apples were about the size of an egg and they had the shape of a perfect little miniature apple - wide at the top and tapering to the bottom. From a photograph, I think a person would believe they were looking at a regular size apple. They were yellow/red, with the yellow being predominant.

I confess that I got out of the car and picked a handful of them. For a tree that obviously got no attention, it had surprisingly few wormy ones. It is definitely a tart apple, but not completely lacking in sweetness, as crabapples can be. Maybe it isn't a crabapple, just a tiny apple.

By the way, this is Minnesota I am talking about (zone 4). I have tried looking it up on Hortiplex and searching -Heirloom Apple Trees - on the web, but I am finding photos to be scarce and descriptions very meager. If you could help me identify this little gem, I would be very grateful. Carmellia

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting