SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karinl_gw

Window treatments to feature, not hide, window moulding

karinl
12 years ago

Our house is a modest Victorian circa 1905 which we have quasi-restored/renovated. I love the original window and door mouldings, which we have painstakingly stripped of their 8 coats of paint. While we've obviously had something covering the windows for the 18 years we've lived here, I'm finally trying to make "nice" draperies.

My problem is that most of the "nice" drapery options seem to cover the mouldings, especially when the curtains are open - which would be when I'm awake and interested in being able to see them :-)

I would love to use decorative rods with cool finials, or layered treatments with swags and tassels and what have you, but if you confine yourself to working within the window frame, most of those things don't work, or if they do, the draperies still cover most of the window when they are open! The house is small enough that the one obvious answer - extending the rods out far enough that the whole drapery stack is outside the mouldings - is out of the question. We want to co-exist with the draperies, not be supplanted by them!

I'm working out a variety of solutions, and it has been "work" because we have quirky needs based on window design and privacy as well. But I'm curious: how have other people solved the challenge of covering the windows in a period-sensitive way without covering the mouldings?

Karin L

Comments (14)