SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
centralcacyclist

I just became a vegetarian.

centralcacyclist
13 years ago

But only for a second! Someone just knocked on my front door. I glanced out to see a white pickup truck with no insignia so I went to the door with my large dog in front of me. (Yeah, I know she's old and harmless.) A man introduced himself as Matt from Omaha Steaks. I told him I was a vegetarian! Poof! off my porch!

Really, would you buy meat from a strange man in a plain pickup truck with a chest freezer chained in the truck bed?

Comments (87)

• ann_t
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"But only for a second!"

Eileen that would be about one second longer than I would last as a vegetarian. LOL!!

Ann

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lately most of the unexpected knocks on my door are either for the aging Volvo with someone offering me 500 bucks (yeah right) or some soul offering to paint my house numbers on my curb for 10 bucks in reflective (yeah sure) paint so that firemen and ambulance drivers can find me easily. Oh goody.

Occasionally the painter types will catch me in a good mood. (Hey, it happens.) The last time I let one of the number painters do the job he made it both crooked and off center. I looked at and told him it was both crooked and off center. He had no response. Apparently it looked good to him! I'm waiting for it to wear off. When it's light outside I'll take a photo. Since then I've waved off the subsequent number painters with the evidence of their predecessor. Bah!

If I'm really unsure who is out there, I open the door and let my 100 pound dog greet them first. Grins. I usually find whoever it is on the sidewalk and not on my porch.

• Related Discussions

should I cut down my hosta whose leaves became dried out & brown?

Q

Comments (7)
    Tx. ahelaumakani. Unfortunately my kitchen sink (which is near the back door to the garden) doesn't have a normal faucet....only a hose...so I can't hook up a garden hose to it. I finally decided to try the basement sink, sending the hose out the back window and under the deck to the yard. But alas, it seems the small window in the basement has the kind of screen that doesn't pop out. So frustrating! So I finally sent a note to my LL, telling him that for years I've had to haul buckets, and couldn't he figure somethihng out for me so I can get water out back? We'll see what he says.... :-(
    ...See More

How I became a Grohe convert (and beware the Delta Lahara)

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm glad the Delta Lahara worked for you, sas95 - I may have just gotten a lemon, and the manufacturing standards may have gone down since you bought it, hence my warning. The lovely stainless Delta pull out convertable spray/normal in my kitchen that's been in for 8 years still works great and has all metal compression fittings. Antss, the list on the Delta was $260, not to be confused with a Glacier Bay-type faucet; I paid about $150 for it on Amazon. The Grohe replacement was $170 in the DC area. Comparable price, big difference in quality. Another victim of JIT mfg to the lowest bidder-of-the-moment trend of US corps, IMO - but I'll avoid the political soapbox on that one (I'd be up on it all night!) and say I wasnt trying to slam Deltas, per se, just warn about the potential current lemons in the line based on my most recent experience with them and offer another option for those looking for top value at mid price in a design that non-plumbers can install flawlessly.
    ...See More

Crockpot Success! Vegetarian Cincinnati Chili

Q

Comments (4)
    Veg. Cincinnati chili is one of my crockpot specialties! I use fake meat crumbles and kidney beans for the protein. I am going to have to try this recipe! My recipe does not include chocolate! We eat a LOT of chili in this house so always nice to mix it up a bit!
    ...See More

I want to make my pup a vegetarian/vegan...any suggestions?

Q

Comments (60)
    Thanks :) But I knew the translation....it's just that I find it rather irritating when people ask for help and it takes me (and others) 2-3 times as long to figure out what they are saying! I never got the feeling that English was this person's 2nd language. It just doesn't seem that way. It seems like it's a hoax - this poster will go from saying something like: "I m jus gona raise him as if its my baby...n im sure il do everythin to keep him healthy...n wid al our luv n care.." And then will say: "This is absolutely my last comment on this...I am not going to give my puppy away...I just said that I would do it in case I see any starts to suffer and before he creates a bond so that it is easy for him to move on...not get him to a stage where he is a total goner". That sounds like 2 different people. This is a hoax.
    ...See More
  • mudlady_gw
    13 years ago

And then there was the time my Mennonite neighbor knocked on my front door to ask a question and I answered weraing only one of those big t-shirt sleep shirts. I asked if he wanted to come in but he stayed at the bottom of the stairs for the entire conversation. Poor man!
    Nancy

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

"I do not accept meat from strange men."

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Neither do I, at least since my early twenties! (I kid, I kid!)

I quit answering my door unless I recognize the person years ago. I am a bit weird about my privacy, and someone knocking on my door uninvited irritates me just by doing so. This is my home. If I am in it, that means I am either busy about the house or relaxing, and in either case I don't care to be interrupted.

I knew Omaha Steaks did mail order, I didn't know they did door-to-door sales. My MIL sent us some of their meat once. I can't say I was particularly impressed.

• lindac
    13 years ago

AAH but Rachelellen....didn't you notice the great reusable cooler the steaks came in? LOL!
    I have the highschool cheerleaders wanting to paint my numbers on the curb and the dance team wanting to collect bottles for deposit.
    And then there are the sattelite dish people....very persistent!
    When I get a telemarketer...and they ask for mrs C...or the head of the house, I put on an accent and say...one minute please, I'll get her.
    Then just leave the phone until they catch on and hang up. Wastes their time like they have wasted mine.
    Linda C

• jojoco
    13 years ago

We used to receive Omaha Steaks quite often from my grandparents. I always laughed because there would be a frozen freebie thrown in; like a radio, or meat thermometer or set of knives. With the electronics, it was always a question if they would work after being subjected to those temps (they always did).
    I really liked the filet mignon.

• sally_grower
    13 years ago

When I get a telemarketer call....I'm the maid!

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

I hang up as soon as I know the call isn't from anyone I know. And I usually don't need to hear more than two or three words, either. If they ask to speak to Mr or Mrs or Dr, I hang up. I don't say anything. They never call back. And I have yet to miss a 'real' call from someone I don't know well.

Just hang up. No comment from you is necessary.

• metaxa
    13 years ago

Don't you folks have call display?

My call display splashes up on the TV, if its on, so I don't even have to get up from he chair except to grab another frozen steak and pop it into the microwave.

• triciae
    13 years ago

We are on the Do Not Call Registry so we don't get telemarketing phone calls except for the charities & you can spot them from the caller I.D.

In the 7-1/2 years we've been here we've never had a door-to-door saleperson. We did once get a women living one street over wanting me to sign a petition to have our RR crossing be silent. I wouldn't sign because it's dangerous & we've got a lot of kids here during the summer walking into town & they have to cross those tracks. The Amtrak line runs right along the shoreline thru most of CT & stops in most of the coastal towns so if you want to live by the water you've no choice but to be within a block or two of the train.

I'm sorta surprised to read how many dislike people coming to their doors. Different mindset here. Heck, we even get people knocking on our door to ask the name of a plant growing in our gardens. :)

/tricia

• mrsmarv
    13 years ago

"Please get over the idea that anything this guy said was right.
    It was NOT Omaha Steaks.
    It was probably a scam.
    It is possibly (I really want to write "probably") a scam, rip-off, stolen.
    It is probably inferior quality/spoiled."

Really? Really? I guess you must be the expert on door-to-door salesman and what they offer.

A little backstory. My DH is a door-to-door salesman, originally worked for Horizon Foods but then went out on his own. He carried...yes...Omaha products. They were not stolen. They were not a scam. And they certainly were not an inferior product and/or spoiled. Can you get equally good meat, seafood, prepared foods someplace else? Of course, but the idea of having someone deliver right to your door is actually appealing to some folks. Imagine that. My DH certainly isn't seedy, shifty, suspicious looking, or any other derogatory adjective you care to use. He's an honest, hard working and down to earth guy. And he's a terrific husband and provider. He had that business for almost 16 years and let me tell you, his customers loved him. He had a customer base and most of his customers were regular folk, just like you. Ooops, not like you. But he met many people like you. Those that are projudiced, suspicious and had the proverbial blinders on. I wonder if you feel the same way about anyone who might look different than you. Everyone has to make a living and not everyone fits into a neat little box when it comes to their avocation. He's never been a 9-to-5 type of guy and it works for us.

I'm not suggesting that people should let their guard down, but to make an assumption about someone based on what they do for a living? Tsk, tsk. Get over yourself.

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ouch!

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

Speak of the devil, we just had someone come to the door with "some good deals".

Sorry, Mrsmarv, your husband is in a tough business. He's better have business cards, brochures, website, marked truck with phone number, business license and be clean and neat. None of which these people seemed to have.

• mrsmarv
    13 years ago

Darn right he's in a tough business. There aren't many people out there who can do what he does and do it well. Most people don't like rejection and prefer not to work quite as hard as he does. Complacency abounds in our society. He doesn't have his food route any longer (it's been almost 5 years since he "retired" from being an owner/operator), but he still works door-to-door. He's now a sub-contractor for a large media corporation. It's what he's good at and it certainly makes him/us $$$, which is the name of the game.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Well, barnmom is in California, home of a great deal of wackos, so that might make her more suspicious than most.

Mrsmarv, it sounds like you have a great husband! Lots couldn't take that kind of hostile environment everyday and succeed.

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not awfully suspicious, I do trust my instincts. This guy might have been fine but there was not a company logo anywhere on his shirt or his vehicle nor did he present a card or other printed material. He was parked the wrong way in front of my house and he just wasn't "right." Most of the folks selling things door to door in my pretty ordinary middle class neighborhood - while might have a few odd folks around, isn't the home of "wackos" unless you count Cecil, the Portuguese Elvis impersonator but he died - have cars with signs/shirts with logos/clipboards/brochures/business cards and act the part of someone with business to do.

In my mind the best case scenario is that he actually does sell Omaha Steaks and was on a delivery run and on impulse pulled in front of my house just in case. But why? I do not have a neon flashing sign that reads "meat-eater" on my house. Shrug. Like I said, my instincts based on that flash of immediate impression which is usually spot-on said "nope."

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

Just google Omaha steaks and door-to-door and scam. It happens all over the country.

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

"Wastes their time like they have wasted mine."

LOVE IT!!

• lindac
    13 years ago

Yeah.....and some dummies wait patiently for a while....then say Hello!! Hello!!....then are you there? before they catch on....others seem to catch on in about 5 seconds!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

It may very well happen all over the country, but still, California has more crazy people than most areas. I don't think I'm off base with that!

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"It may very well happen all over the country, but still, California has more crazy people than most areas. I don't think I'm off base with that!"

Amusing generalization. I live in a conservative, mostly fundamentalist Christian farming town. Come visit, I bet California will surprise you.

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

"Just google Omaha steaks and door-to-door and scam. It happens all over the country."

Sushi - how nice of you to be so diplomatic in your response after you got such a tongue lashing from mrsmarv.

There are legitimate people selling good products door-to-door. I just don't want to deal with it - ever! Having a locked 5 ft fence covered in vines and a "No Solication" solves the problem for me. The good guys know enough to move on and the bad guys can't crash their way in and try to push something on me.

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

I have never seen Omaha Steaks sold door-to-door, just mail order...but I love them. I do not think they are inferior, and they are better than most of the meat I buy locally. And, Lindac, we LOVE the packaging, and reuse it all the time, LOL.

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

Horizon! I've been trying to remember that name for a long time. Must have been close to 10 years ago that I twice bought a case of veal cutlets from a Horizon guy that I met up in MA. He did imply Horizon was from the same source as Omaha; I never verified one way or another. But with full brochures and a multi-state distribution it all seemed pretty legit. Expensive, yes, but I loved having perfect, vacuum-packed 3-oz cutlets in the freezer, ready to be thawed and used at a moment's notice.

But yeah, in general I'd be cautious.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

I don't know about California because I've never lived there. I can tell you that there are plenty of loonies around here and you can't be too careful of them. Home invasions are abundant here and scads of people on Crystal Meth as well as other illegal drugs, and they will murder you in your bed and take what you have and sell it for more drugs.

Mrsmarv, I'm glad door to door selling has worked for your husband. Practically no one sells door to door here anymore because of all of the meaness that goes on. It's really sad that the US has come to this. I well remember when we didn't ever lock our doors, windows or cars and we knew we would be safe. How times have changed.

• nan_nc
    13 years ago

For meat salespersons (some have been female) I just tell them "no thank you" and close the door. Some have been engaging enough that I tell them "we're vegetarian." Religious zealots get "we're wiccan" and shut the door.

Most of the meat and seafood salespeople around appear to be folks down on their luck for some reason and trying to make a few bucks somehow. No, there were no company logos, and all were using their personal trucks with a freezer chained in the bed.

We are in a rural area with a long travel to any grocery store, so it might be tempting to think we are susceptible to such offers..but we're not! I feel sympathy for those who must do such for any source of income (they pay their own gas and expenses) but will not buy.

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

'Round here, there is a company called, "Schwans," which specializes in frozen foods, delivered straight to your home. You order from your rep or online. They offer everything from frozen meats & seafoods to ready made entrees, appetizers, snacks, fruits & veggies, ice cream and desserts. When they get a new driver, he'll canvas neighborhoods door to door with menus etc, trying to build himself a client base.

I've not tried their foods, but have heard from some who use them that they are decent, edible meals. Far better than fast food, and though more expensive than cooking for yourself, not very expensive over all. They must get a lot of business around here, because I see their trucks all the time.

Well, this town is full of people who commute a fair distance to work. If I got off work at 5 and then had to look forward to an hour or even two on the road, I might buy from them too.

But, they always have a uniform shirt, hat, business cards and brochures. I'm sure some of the guys with a freezer in the back of their truck are just trying to make a living, but I'm afraid I wouldn't trust them unless I had a reference from a friend who bought from them regularly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schwans

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Interesting you mention Schwans. I had not heard of them until they were one of the "prizes" on this season of Top Chef. The winning chef had their meal put on the Schwans menu.

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Schwans Top Chef

• katefisher
    13 years ago

We made our first order from Schwan's this summer. Aside from scheduling difficulties, for which they were apologetic and very quick to correct, we have been happy with them. Admittedly I have only ordered their ice creams. I was really pleasantly surprised. They make a fat free Vanilla ice cream that just melts on a persons tongue. It is like ice milk. I plan to order more this week in fact.

I can't speak to how their entrees and such are. I would be willing to try though, they seem like a reputable company.

Kate

• triciae
    13 years ago

FOAS, yes, we had a very good relationship with Horizon also.

Our rep made a cold-call on our doorstep when he was just a 22 year old kid trying to get his business started. He drove a small truck with a freezer in the back. He was pleasant, helpful, friendly, & knew his product well. We purchased a lot of product over the years. Only once did we get something we didn't like & Brian quickly took the remainder of the box back & gave us a free box of our favorite salmon. At delivery, he even loaded the boxes into our freezer for me. It never occured to me that I should be suspicious of having Brian into our home. I watched him & his business grow. I attended his wedding a couple years into our relationship with Horizon. I attended his house warming party when he purchased a home near Concord for his growing family after their daughter was born. And, I watched his business grow. He's now got several reps working for him & works very hard to maintain a quality service for people within his distribution area. He's won several awards from Horizon.

I've been reading the comments on this thread & feel badly for Brian that some folks would have such negative thoughts. He's a very nice young man with a successful business that fills a need for many people. He sells a quality product that his parent company stands behind fully. He's not going to murder anybody in their bed or rob them blind when they turn their backs on him. If he were my son, I'd be proud of his accomplishments.

I can't really remember but I don't think Brian had a sign on his truck when he first knocked on our door. He did have nice brochures & a business card, was well dressed & well spoken. I remember going out to his truck with him & looking into his freezer after asking what all he sold. I started with a single box of stuffed flounder but within a couple weeks had phoned him to order a bunch of other products. We referred many of our friends & businesss associates to Horizon over the years. It was a good relationship & I'm glad I wasn't too 'something' (?) to answer my door. But then, I'm also the type that buys Girl Scout Cookies, raffle tickets, & makes donations to others that ring our bell for various "causes" that I recognize. I don't consider them a nuisance. I consider them part of our community. I myself have gone door-to-door raising funds for various kid's athletic programs, school trips, etc. as well as for our church. I'm very glad I didn't approach some of your homes. I might well have been frightened of some of you based on this thread.

I think it's terribly sad to read that some apparently have feelings akin to pity for people like Brian. He doesn't need anybody's pity. He's established a very good business for himself & his family by working hard, being honest, & standing by his products. Those accomplishments are sure not something I'd ever associate with feelings of being ashamed. My father was a very successful business man. In the early years, he also went door-to-door asking for business.

Sad commentary on our society that people are closed to a knock on the front door. What if it were somebody needing help? I think barnmom was right to trust her instincts in this particular situation. It's some of the other commentary that bothers me.

/tricia

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All kinds of folks knock on my door to sell me things. Sometimes I need those things, sometimes I don't. I pretty much always need a candy bar from a cute kid who wants to go to camp. I don't need meat in my freezer. If I needed meat and I had a neighbor or friend who bought meat from this man I'd consider it. But now I have an empty nest. My upright freezer is for sale. Lately my evening meals have consisted of a couple of pieces of string cheese, an apple, bread, and a glass of wine or something equally unadorned. With no one else to cook for, I have few urges to shop.

But thanks for reminding me of Schwan's. I know my neighbor's use them and like the products very much. I have heard glowing reports on the ice cream too. Nope, don't need ice cream either! But my disabled ex might be very interested in having frozen food delivered periodically. I am going to refer him to their site. Hopefully their food isn't saturated in sodium!

Tricia. Let me find a ladder for you. Seems you need some help off that high horse this morning.

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I checked them out. They have a category called LiveSmart that might be just right for ex. The prices seems decent. I passed along the website.

He usually shops online at a local chain called Raley's. He shops and pays online and makes an appointment to pick up the groceries in the parking lot at a certain spot with a button to push. Since he struggles with mobility this has been a nice solution. Even a little trip in an electric cart around a store is usually too much for him and sends him to bed for a day. This might work as another alternative.

Here is a link that might be useful: LiveSmart

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

I find people knocking on my door, asking me for money for their projects (whatever they might be) a nuisance and I'm not embarrassed by that fact. I donate to charities, I donate to my church, I buy cookies, candy, wrapping paper, and magazines from coworker's children to help their schools...schools which I already pay for with my taxes. I volunteer my time to various good works when I can and go out of my way to be a good neighbor.

My home is my home, my place of rest, my comfort zone. Everywhere else people approach me for money (the street, my church, the grocery store, the mall, parking lots)I do my best to be polite and gracious no matter if I'm distracted, busy or not in a great mood. But I resent being interrupted while I'm eating, reading, sleeping, gardening, cooking or having some special time with my husband and therefore yes, while I'm at home, I'm too 'something' to open my door.

If you want a sad commentary on our society, try looking at the fact that while we work until April 9th simply to pay our taxes for the year, we still have ever more and more people after us with their hands out, even if the causes are good ones. The fact that some people like a bit of quiet privacy isn't a sad commentary on anything, it's normal.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Tricia, it's really amazing that a young man just starting out was able to make a success of such a business, and how heart warming that you feel that you were so instrumental in helping him to start a business.
    But remember that for every such story there are at least a dozen about home owners who have been bilked by a crew spreading used motor oil on their drive saying it was seal coat, and others selling un needed health insurance to the elderly and disabled, and even those checking for alarm systems and unlocked windows....worst case scenario, unlocking windows as needed. Every few months the news puts out a warning about such door to door scams. The fact that you have never felt in anyway threatened and readily open your door to whoever knocks speaks either to your incredible good luck or amazing ability to judge honesty by an unmarked truck.

I would never open my door to a stranger, and no I don't live in the land of fruits and flakes...but in little old white bread Iowa, home of the family farm and small city.
    And if it happens here you know it happens even in south Carolina.
    Linda C

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Schwans is well known through out Minnesota. It was founded in 1952 in Marshall and is now headquartered in Bloomington.

I've never used them but my parents ordered ice cream and chicken breasts all the time. I know they are popular in rural areas where people have to drive a long way to shop for groceries.

• jojoco
    13 years ago

The other side of the coin is that many of the wackos are on the other side of the door. Going door to door may be on its way out due to safety issues for those who do the knocking.

Jo

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

That's a good point Jo. A pizza delivery man was murdered about 2 blocks from where a friend of mine lives. For the $25 he had on him in change.

I know there have been others around the country also.

• Rusty
    13 years ago

I can not speak for anyone else, here, just myself.
    I want to point out to mrsmarv and anyone else who may have read my post, that I am NOT suggesting that every door to door salesperson is not to be trusted.
    There are many who are highly respected business people, as a few have pointed out here.
    I want to apologize to anyone who's toes I may have stepped on by the 'call the police' comment.

But I do want to reiterate, that that is a good policy to follow if the person does seem questionable.

And, as someone else also pointed out, the "nuts" can be on the inside of the door, too.
    I sincerely hope that your husband, mrsmarv, and any other legitimate door to door sales people (incuding the Jehovah's Witnesses) carries an easily accessable cellphone with the local law enforcement number programed on speed dial.

Rusty

• mrsmarv
    13 years ago

"Tricia. Let me find a ladder for you. Seems you need some help off that high horse this morning."

Huh? I don't get it. Tricia was telling a story, relating her experience and I don't think she did it in an offensive or condescending way at all. Now as for me, yes I was short and barbed in my response. I meant to be.

Let me ask you (collective "you") this: Have any of you ever been the victim of a violent crime? I speak from experience because I have. Because of it, I'm more cautious and careful than I used to be, but I'm not paranoid. I don't presume that every person who looks or acts normal is "okay". Sociopaths, murderers, rapists, swindlers, con-men and opportunists, come in all different packages. I prefer not to live my life looking over my shoulder or assuming things about people. Life is much sweeter that way. I don't live in la-la land. I do live in the very real world with very real problems, but I prefer living it with the expectation that most people are good and honest.

" I don't consider them a nuisance. I consider them part of our community."

Thank goodness for people like Tricia ;o)

Push that ladder on over here. I'm sure you think I need it, too.

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

Just because someone shows up at your door (legitimately or otherwise) doesn't mean you have to open it. If you are mid-meal, -relaxing time, -tv show, etc., just don't answer the door. There are times when I look outside and I don't feel at all uncomfortable (young kids with obvious fund-raising paraphernalia in their hands, well-dressed individuals showing up in twos - such as the JWs, etc.) and I don't mind answering. Then there are the people who show up after-dark or just have a shady look about them (you have to use your own discernment at some point), and I don't feel the need to disclose whether I'm even home or not.

Part of the community? Yes, all of them are, actually. We've got good guys and bad guys in the community. Which is why it's imperative to be cautious without being paranoid. There is a difference.

The nose-bleed section is growing...

Lori

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

"Trust, but verify."
    Who said that? Confucius? I don't think so. :-)

I live in a very safe area. Nothing has ever happened in the past 30, 40, 50 years. In fact, if you park on the street overnight in my town without notifying the police department, your car will be towed and fined.

Still, I take great precaution for safety.

It is so inexpensive to have a wireless color video camera installed by yourself to monitor who is coming up to your front door, backdoor, driveway, etc. From $30 to about a $100. It takes 10 minutes of your time to set up. The cameras have sound and night-vision capability.

When I see a stranger coming to the door that I think I need to be careful, I have a pepper spray in my hand ready. It saves me a lot of time not having to come to the door to check and to ignore someone I am not interested in talking to.

It's a good thing:

A sign on your lawn that says, "This property is monitored by a 24/7 video surveillance system"
    dcarch

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

I emailed barnmom earlier today saying that the "vegetarian" thread had taken a wierd turn.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I was rather surprised to read that people want to chastise others for not wanting to have their lives invaded by door to door people. To those people I say it's my property. I get to do and avoid whomever I want. And I was also surprised that Rusty and others felt the need to apologize for their opinions on the matter at hand.

We live in the best place in the world. We can be whatever religion we want to be. We can have our own opinions and understand that others have different opinions than we have. I enjoy the diversity and controversy most of the time. I am the second oldest of 12 and I have almost nothing in common with most of them. Yet, I enjoy each and every moment I spend with them.

My input to this thread is that I will never apologize for locking my gates to keep others (even those who might be making a living) out of my yard.

When I used to be a flight attendant my co-workers would complain about a certain drunk or nasty passenger. My reply - it comes with the job. Get a different one!

• annie1992
    13 years ago

We have Schwan's here too. I've gotten ice cream from them, the girls loved it. I also bought blue hake filets that were very nice. I've not had any of their prepared items. They come in clearly marked trucks with brochures, not in pick up trucks with freezers strapped to the back. And how the heck can they RUN a freezer strapped to the bed of a pick up anyway?

I also open my door to the girl scout cookie sales, the boy scout soft drink can drives, the football team selling discount cards, the cheerleaders selling candy bars. I donate to local charities that I choose.

As many know, I work for the Prosecuting Attorney's Office here. I live in a small town in a rural agricultural county with a relatively low crime rate. Everyone knows everyone else, mostly.

However, there are assaults and rapes and murders and breaking and enterings all the time. I see the victims personally and I can tell you that I'm really sorry for those who are making a living going door to door, it's dangerous for them too.

As a result I take some reasonable precautions. I don't let strangers in my house, I don't pick up hitchhikers and I don't buy products sold door to door by strangers in unmarked vehicles. Ever.

Everyone else gets to do as they wish, take whatever chances they are comfortable with.

Annie

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

" Going door to door may be on its way out due to safety issues for those who do the knocking. "

Too True!! Wackos live in houses too!! :D

• bunnyman
    13 years ago

Something about being a transvestite that just causes the door-to-door types to stop coming around.

I tried to get a job with Schwan's some years ago... sales experience, clean driving record, no criminal record. So... after the second interview they wouldn't hire me. Life took a better turn for me. Schwan's is not allowed on my property... gtfo!

Lady next door is a Schwan's regular. The guy in the little white truck stopped there selling steaks. Can't help but wonder if there is a connection between the two.

Probably should not tell this story but... YEARS ago I was smoking a left handed cig on a Sunday afternoon. Yup... knock knock! There stook a pretty young gal in a nice dress just all made up like a picture. She wanted to talk to me about Jesus and sell me magazines. I was sort of buzzed and offered her a hit off the doobie. To my surprise she went for it and we had a wonderful half hour chat. They don't let her come to the door anymore. If all the JW was like that I'd be one. If "HIM" wanted my attention that would be the way to get it....

: )
    lyra

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

"Something about being a transvestite that just causes the door-to-door types to stop coming around."

ROFLMFAO!!!! HAHAHA! Oh, Lyra, I needed that laugh this morning! :D

• nancylouise5me
    13 years ago

I don't think the suggestion about calling the police was a bad one. Our town encourages residents to do so for door to door sales. The sellers must stop in at the police station and register themselves before they knock on the first door. Some residents wanted to bar door to door sellers all together from our town. Others did not want to stop people from earning a living, so this was a compromise. Do all register? Nooo, so it is a good thing to be able to call someone that has the info as to whether or not these people are legit or not or they just didn't know our town ordinances.
    Do I buy from door to door salespeople, no. If I want something I will contact you, not the other way round. The exceptions being school fundraisers, scouts, and believe it our not politicians.
    Barnmom quick thinking! (and funny at the same time lol)
    As far as Omaha steaks goes, I can get the same or better quality at BJ's or Costco at a better price. Buy meats in bulk and cut it up yourself. NancyLouise

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book that describes up my response: from Amazon, "Blink" is about the first two seconds of looking - the decisive glance that knows in an instant.

Based on the sum of my life experiences I had an immediate gut response to this man on my porch. I went with it. Was it prejudice? Maybe but I haven't have that same gut response to any of the other people who have knocked. I am not overly suspicious but I am cautious. I didn't see the freezer chained to his truck until he drove away and I looked out the window as he did so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blink

• jojoco
    13 years ago

Eileen,
    There is no need for you to defend your actions. No one here has the right to judge you. We weren't there. Never ignore that instinctive reaction. It is there to keep you safe. I would have done the same thing, but with less wit, I am sure.
    Being wary of a stranger on your doorstep is never a bad thing.
    As far as the true salesmen, like Mrsmarv's husband, I would hope that his route is supplimented by an internet option. It seems that people are much more open to ordering that way.
    jo

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Something about being a transvestite that just causes the door-to-door types to stop coming around."

Here in California, it would be no big thing! ;)

I had a salesman offering alarm systems come to my door one day. He was pleasant enough. He wanted to sell me a system until I pointed to my really big dog. But we did have a nice chat about this and that anyway. He told me the story of selling a system to a nudist. The man remained naked during the entire sales pitch and was still naked when the salesman came back to set up the particulars. At this point he also had his assistant with him who was very uncomfortable. Salesman said he just closed the sale and pretended it was business as usual!