SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryliz_gw

Frugal or Foolish? Second and third re-uses for items

maryliz
15 years ago

Something I just added to another thread got me thinking that I should start a new one. Here's the idea: How do you save money around the house (and keep yourself organized) by re-using something, perhaps even more than once?

Here are a few examples:

1) After we eat all the yoghurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, etc., we wash the containers, then use them to store food in the freezer. If the lid gets too wonky to seal well, I throw it away, but I have another use for the bottom. I drill a few drainage holes, then it becomes a plant pot. Those last for a few years, or until I give away the plant inside. The lids can also be used as a target for dog agility class. (You put a treat on it so that it is more visible to the dog.) I always throw a few lids into the dog's bag of leashes and collars, for when we go to dog school each week. If I lose one at class, it's no big deal. There will be another in a few days.

2) At the office, the printer spits out a cover sheet for every print job, even if it is just a single piece of paper. Wasteful, if you ask me. I bring home the cover sheets, and print on the back side with my laser printer. Even after printing on the second side, there is still plenty of blank space left on the cover sheet side, so I cut the paper into smaller pieces and use that to make lists. Then, after the paper is covered with printing and writing, it gets shredded and added to the compost pile.

Comments (28)