SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

What would Martha Stewart say.

talley_sue_nyc
17 years ago

What would Martha Stewart say.

if she could see your office at work?

I work at a company that is known for its visual sense, especially in terms of décor. And one of our most important and high-ranking employees is particularly known for her tidiness and her sense of order, as well as her stylish acumen. Its pretty much the equivalent of working for Martha. (Some of you will know exactly what I mean.)

So this bigshot got into a survey of the office space, and her "tour" took her even to my way-around-the-corner nook.

Where, Im embarrassed to say, I had let all the old files pile up at the end opposite from my desk. And, at the end of the last work cycle, my freelance worker had dropped off all the loose papers from her work. And stuff Id put on the shelves was sort of higgledy-piggledy.

"Ive sort of let things go," I acknowledged. "Uh-huh!" she said, pointedly. "Im about to send them off to archives," I apologized. She apparently mentioned the mess to a couple of other bigshots, once of whom did her own tour, and said, when I mentioned that it was in need of tidying, "Yes, I heard. It's too bad you don't have a window!" So I'm not sure which was mentioned most--my total lack of window, or the mess.

Now, Im not the only offender ont he floor, or necessarily the worst. And, when I began tidying, it went really fast. It was one projects worth of paper, and four projects worth of files. They just needed to go in boxes and be picked up by Office Services. And the stuff on the shelves was the RIGHT stuff, and in the rightspot--it was just leaning every which way.

One of my good friends in the office came and helped me straighten up quick, in case the CEO herself would come and look at the place!!

One lesson I took away from our efforts, esp. my friends, was this:

-Stop "staging" the stuff to go home, on the floor. Put it up on a shelf, consolidated inside one another, to get it out of the way and keep the place looking orderly.

So....

What would "Martha" say if she saw your office?

(Oh, and our "Martha" thought mine was much better, when she came to see it yesterday after her meeting in our department, but she said, "You need shelves." I thought, "Infrastructure!" and thought of my posts here in which I proclaim how important it is. The funny thing is, at work, I dont actually need more infrastructure; the shelves I *do* have, have a little air left on them still, and will have even more when I bring a couple of things home. But Id also tucked some files that were destined for someone elses office, behind a board, and she said, "Youre hiding stuff! Stop that!" she scolded. So we had a little bantering bonding going on there.)

"Martha" also asked me, as we were walking to my office, whether I was embarrassed (this after she told me she HAD mentioned my office to the CEO!). A little, I said, but I'll live. "Oh, don't be," she said warmly.

Thank God I don't have to invite her to my home!!!!

Comments (9)