SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Thought You'd Enjoy My House's 1846 Fire Insurance Contract for

KevinMP
11 years ago

While going through all of the receipts for this year's massive list of projects (full bathroom gut, half kitchen renovation, crown moulding and lighting in dining room, new furniture, etc.), I came across this 1846 fire insurance document--one of the documents used by the wretched people at the Historical Commission to bludgeon you into submission on architectural/aesthetic issues. My house is older than the insurance document, but it's the earliest document they have to prove what was originally in my house. The house has since been added onto, etc., but it's still fun too look back.

We actually got into an argument over the style of windows I had to purchase in 2010. I wanted 9-light casements on the third floor (which some other homes in the area appear to have originals of). But they claimed I had to do 3 lights over 6 lights, which results in an idiotic, 6" opening. But the crazy thing about these people is that in the end I think they were right. The way the sashes are laid out (8 over 12 lights on the first floor, 6 over 6 lights on the second floor, and 3 over 6 lights on the third floor) creates perfect sight lines (i.e., the rail is not in the middle of your sight line). Who know if that's coincidence or not. It's still a PITA, but fun.

Enjoy.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by KevinMP on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 23:30

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations