SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pam14_gw

Share your favorite local decor/home store

pam14
15 years ago

If I were visiting you, what unique or special, home or decor store would you like to show me? Take me somewhere that is one of a kind - no chain stores, please. What do you love about it?

If you came to Rhode Island, I would want to take you to a store called Kyureo. It is located in Providence, in the Wayland Square area. It's not too far from Brown University. What I love about Kyureo are all the little eclectic items which are offered there. It's a small store, but fun to explore. If you're ever in the Providence area, it's worth a trip. Here's what it looks like on the outside. I've posted a link below that gives more information about the store. It's located at 13 South Angell Street, in Providence.

{{!gwi}}

Now, if you were looking to go to a furniture consignment store, I would take you to "The Hope Chest", located at 2953 Hartford Ave. in Johnston, RI. It has 12,000 sq. feet of "stuff". It tends to be a hit or miss kind of place. It's not a place where you're going to find fine antiques, but I have purchased various odds and ends there - end table, an Ethan Allen coffee table, lamps, and lots of different chairs. My best find there was a set of six Kincaid dining room chairs. The Hope Chest sometimes (or at least when I got these about 3 years ago) gets floor samples and other furniture from a large Boston-area furniture store, and then resells them at their own store. I paid $30 each for these chairs; some of them still had the plastic on the seat covers when I bought them. The only problem I found with the set was that one of the arm chairs was missing the arms, but except for two small holes where the arms should have been attached to the back, it looks just like the side chairs. So, for a grand total of $180, I got 5 side chairs and 1 arm chair. The store where they originally came from still sells this style for $205/side chair, and $245 for one arm chair. Now that's a deal! Here's one of the chairs.

{{!gwi}}

BTW, I have no financial interest or connection with either store. I just wanted to share some of my local treasures. I'm looking forward to hearing about your favorite local shops.

Here is a link that might be useful: More info. about Kyureo

Comments (31)

• polly929
    15 years ago

In my NJ town the is a store "A Touch of Home", it has all kinds of unique gifts, some furniture, accessories, garden decor, and that sort of stuff. I passed it yesterday on my way to take my daughters to school and saw a huge "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE" sign in the window. I wanted to cry. I guess it is another sign of the times, it seems everyone is closing these days. It just makes me sad that whenever I need a hostess gift or housewarming gift I won't be able to run there anymore.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Birmigham, AL area - Hanna Antique Mall (downtown Birmingham/Southside) and Hoover Antique (Hoover). Love Interiors Market at Pepper Place (also on Southside). Birmingham has fabulous antique stores. If you're ever coming to the area, I would be happy to fill you in on more not to miss antique stops.

Locally owned home stores - Harmony Landing, Three Sheets and At Home (all in Homewood)

When visiting DD1 in CA, I always hit Shabby Chic. The new Corte Madera (North Bay) store is larger/better than the Filmore store in San Francisco

When visiting DS in Chicago - Jayson Home and Garden. Website linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Jayson Home and Garden

• Related Discussions

Share pics of your favorite past Christmas decor ideas?

Q

Comments (11)
    Lol I like everything, but given it's a Victorian homes tour I will stick to being somewhat traditional, lots of sparkle and glass. I love that blog. I have quite a bit of silver including some huge trays so I a, going to pull those out and copy her a little :). I love the plates, but they appear to be resting on the branches which tells me that she does not have a five year old red headed devil running around her trees :). I do have 40 plus china tea cups though.....that would be a fun theme on the dining room tree. With lots of white lights and silver...crystals....ok now you have me thinking lol Thanks!
    ...See More

What is your favorite decorating motto?

Q

Comments (68)
    "If you are never IN style, then you will never be OUT of style." I think I'm paraphrasing Magnaverde there. That's my rule for clothes as well. IMO it is downright stupid, yes, I'll say it straight, stupid, to throw out perfectly good things because some wonk (who is more often than not trying to sell you yet more stuff you're expected to throw out and replace in a couple of years) says it's no longer "fashionable" to have whatever-it-is. flyingflower, my grandmothers (from Scots families who moved to Maine - can we say "squeezing a penny until Lincoln screams"?) pounded a similar verse into my head all through my childhood, but the one I know goes: Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or do without.
    ...See More

Your favorite decorating book(s)?

Q

Comments (6)
    The last thing I read was The Modern Home Book. Very useful book, as I learned a lot about interior design, as well as home improvement, such as how to choose the right colors, or write about what types of designs there are and how they could be seamlessly combined into one style. All in all, I didn't regret downloading it from the torrent and reading it. If you still think that downloading for free is bad, then I advise you to find more info about The Pirate Bay, where you can see the reliability and benefits of these sites.
    ...See More

Favorite Room in your house?Let's Share Pictures!

Q

Comments (30)
    I have to say my kitchen. A few years we redid it, with a tremendous amount of help from the GWers on the Kitchen forum, and I am still in love with it! It is a very functional space, with a calming, simple style that suits us very well. Every bit of time I can spend there, preparing food for my family is a blessing.
    ...See More
  • User
    15 years ago

allison - I concur about Jayson Home and Garden and it's in a wonderful home decor shopping area as well.

Here's another charming, more trad store Peachtree Place in a burb just north of Chicago in Northfield IL.

Also another - in a SoWest burb of Chicago in Palos Heights IL is Mona Lisa

Jim

• fivefootzero
    15 years ago

Polly929...are you in Cranford? That's where I live. I was also saddened to see that the store is going out of business. They have some beautiful things there.

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

I took these pictures my first visit to Pierre Deux in San Francisco (they've since moved):
    See the red and white drape in the window? The sticker on it said, $12,000! It was on sale for a mere $7000 for the bargain hunter. ;-) I was so clueless of Pierre Deux prices I went up to the sales clerk and asked if they made an error by adding an extra zero, shouldn't it be $700? She said no, that's correct. :O )
    It's still my favorite store though.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• donnamp14
    15 years ago

My local fave is in Holliston, MA, "House at 755" on Washington St. It's part antiques store, part new and cool stuff, with some clothing, also. Lots of garden accessories. The owner, Laraine, is lovely. The prices are fantastic and the merchandise very eclectic.

When I am having a bad day, or feeling particularly in need of decor inspiration, I head there!

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

OOPS! is my favorite store disqualified because it's a chain store? I just noticed you said that.

My favorite non-chain-store closed it's doors this summer. Another casualty.

I have other stores I like to visit but had no photos so I went with the one I could show you.

• polly929
    15 years ago

I went to Jackson Hole several years back, and there was an awesome home store there called Good Goods, anyone ever visit? Loved it so much I bought so many things, I ended up shipping them home in a box rather than taking them home on the plane. Is it still there?
    And fivefootzero, I answered your other post- I am from Cranford too-
    Hi neighbor!

• sallymo2015
    15 years ago

Being an owner of a small home decor shop I would encourage all of you to purchase from your local people if you can. I understand that people shop around for big purchases, but let me tell you that even just a candle or small gift purchased from some of our regular customers really pays the bills! Times are difficult for retail, and thank goodness we also do custom work, there is always a market for that, although not so much sometimes. I do also buy many things for my own home at the local flea market and occasionally on Ebay, but I have a new understanding of "buying local".

We get a lot of inspiration for the shop from other home decor stores. Love the Pierre Deux window! Their fabrics are so pricey that it just doesn't sell in our area, but I wish it did!

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

Another one of my 'favorite' shops is Cover Story in downtown Los Altos (CA). This one has a website, the others must be too small.

There are also some cute shops on Santa Cruz Ave in Menlo Park, CA....Quintessence being my favorite on that street. They sell authentic french antiques. You have to sell your car to be able to afford furniture from that store but it is also packed full of accessories.

I worry my favorite stores won't be able to ride out this recession. This is where I go when I need a "fun day out", other people go to amusement parks I'd rather go see my favorite shops. Even if I don't buy anything they're such eye candy I enjoy window shopping just as much. Wish I could help them to weather the economic storm but most sell merchadise with very high price tags. Sometimes I do leave with a small item, especially if they've seen me in there several times before and I haven't bought anything!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cover Story

• happytobehome
    15 years ago

The Nest Egg - Northern Virginia.

I love to stop in and look around -- everything is so pretty! This is a great store for hostess and wedding gifts. I've bought candles, artwork, soaps, etc... They also sell lovely furniture and Company C rugs. Even though I don't buy often, I stop in enough that the owners recognize and greet me -- gotta love the personal attention and service.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Nest Egg

• parma42
    15 years ago

Another one for Allison, if she's not already been there, is Mig and Tig, on Wells.

I love wandering around that store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mig and Tig

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

I've only been in Austin, TX for a few months, so am still looking for unique shops. I've gone in a few, but can't remember the names, as I wasn't that impressed~very little merchandise. I know Lamar and Burnett would be the most likely places, but it would be nice to have names to look them up online and maybe read reviews. Thanks guys! ;o)

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I didn't know you moved to Austin. How did I miss this?

Thanks for the shop, parma. I don't go to Chicago often but will keep it in mind next visit. DS doesn't have a car but lives in The Loop a few blocks from the river, so if I can't get to it easily, I don't usually go. lol

• parma42
    15 years ago

Allison, you could walk to it from there. It's right downtown just a bit north of the river.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I'm not a shopper but in old downtown Louisville, Colorado is a wonderful chockablock shop called the Fuzzy Antler. They've antiques, bibelots, tassels, pewter objets, fascinating arrangements (like pussy willow branches in an interesting majolica pitcher). I've only been in twice and the salespeople have been the nicest without being obsequious. I was esp. sensitive to this as the first time I went in we were having a windstorm and I looked like it! I think someone (as in my two year-old) had also used me as a kleenex ... and the salespeople there still treated me as if I were a welcome, important person. (I was not feeling too important that day.)

flyingflower -- I used to live in Woodside, but on the Bay side of the 280 (so nestled up in between Alameda de las Pulgas and Woodside Road). I remember pushing a buggy along Santa Cruz Avenue amidst all the teeny-tiny (skinny) mothers and their h-u-g-e bags (which probably cost the same as my mortgage) and sunglasses ... and then there was me in my elastic waist pants, drinking tea at Draeger's! I also liked PaperWhirl on University in Palo Alto (they used to be in the mall but moved to bigger digs) -- they always had fun surprises (great for gifts). Is Pierre Deux no longer on Maiden Lane?

allison0704 -- our family room sofa came from Shabby Chic on Fillmore. Do you remember when they were on Sacramento next to Sue Fisher King? Now that was a fun / dangerous street ....

I always loved Nakura in South San Francisco, but they closed last year due to death. Kiku (on Sutter) and Genji (in the Peace Plaza) were other (Japanese antique) places I liked in San Francisco proper.

I am still totally out-of-it when it comes to Boulder / Denver, though. I've been to Cherry Creek but only briefly -- never to walk around by myself. Hopefully others from CO will pipe in and share their secrets.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

DD1 went to college in SF and arrived when SC was on Fillmore, so it's the only SF location I've known. When was the Pierre Deux on Maiden Lane? Her first apartments were on Stockton at California, then a highrise on Mission at New Montgomery, so the Union Square/SOMA area was our main stomping ground.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

If someone gave me several grand & told me I had to spend it all in one store, I would head straight for The Gardener on 4th Street in Berkeley. Not just for gardeners - they have outdoor & indoor furniture, art, table settings, kid's stuff, jewelry, odds & ends. It's all rather pricey, but oh so exquisite. It might not be everyone's taste, but one would still be hard pressed to find a single object in the store that isn't beautiful, or at the very least, beautifully crafted.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Gardener

• zeebee
    15 years ago

NYC - my all time favorite home store is a big one, ABC Carpet and Home on Broadway between 19th and 20th Streets. It's a multi-floor emporium of rugs, furniture from all eras, lighting, fabrics, linens, pillows, even some stalls of jewelry and clothes. I love going in to wander and get ideas, or just drool over things that would never work in my home but are beautiful nonetheless.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABC Carpet and Home

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

PIerre Deux must have been on Maiden Lane for years but how long exactly I do not know (as I've known of the store). Last year around this time they moved to their new location at 3228 Sacramento Stree (still in SF). PD sent out notices before the move so that's how I heard about it. Curious, I called the store to find out why they were leaving what I thought would be a prime location right there in the middle of Union Square. I was told that they wanted to get away from the bums that were loitering outside the store! I found his honesty amusingly candid.

The new location was in a much nicer area, more upscale...and with on-street parking. So customers wouldn't have to contend with the sky high parking garage fees. When I finally visited their new location it was on a street with a few shops, hardly the draw you would get at their old location. So it's very quiet. I saw beautiful Victorian Homes in the neighborhood, the size of mansions. That explains why he said it was an upgrade, location wise.

I did go batty dealing with the meter, SF meters only allow a short amount of time and then you have to put more money in. With that system I wonder if people get tickets a lot. I was in the middle of buying a bowl when I realized the dang meter was running low so down the street I ran, fed the meter and ran back. Sales people are used to that. Annoying to say the least but there's not much you can do, it's SF after all, parking is never easy.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

When I lived in Denver, I loved Homefest, there's a shop in Greenwood Village and another one in Fort Collins.

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

In the Dallas area there is a store called the Lakeland Antique in Lewisville. It's a huge consignment store with some hand crafted stuff. I could walk around there forever - lots of fun.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I was told that they wanted to get away from the bums that were loitering outside the store! I found his honesty amusingly candid.

Isn't that the truth! I think it's gotten much worse in the 5 years I've been going there. Seems nastier/dirtier too.

After I went to bed last night, I was thinking about PD and remembered seeing it. I've never been a PD fan so didn't go inside. The Sacramento St/Presidio Heights area is nice. Been there once.

She didn't have a car when she lived in the Union Square area. She moved outside the city for a year - got a car - then back to Pacific at Fillmore. Parking, heck, driving in US area is a PITA. She really likes living in the North Bay now, although she still goes back to the city to have hair done, visit friends and shop. No Barney's in her area. lol

If anyone ever has the chance to go to Franklin, TN to shop, it is so cute! Several good antique stores too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Franklin, TN

• tinam61
    15 years ago

We've done the shops in Franklin, TN many times. It is a nice area. I am not big on shopping, although hubby and I love antiquing. Besides our own area (between Knoxville and the Great Smoky Mt. area)my most favorite antique store (at the moment) is Relics in Chattanooga. We also go often to the Sweetwater, TN historic area, they have several good antique shops. Last week we visited another area we love nearby - Clinton, TN. Most of the antique stores there are in neat, old buildings that have been restored. My favorites are Corner Antiques and the Clinton Antique Mall.

Homestores, I really can't think of any that I would call favorites. Southern Market in Knoxville is an array of individual booths with home decor items, we also have a couple of garden shops that have some home decor stuff. I will go to TJ Maxx and Marshalls for linens, and sometimes dishes, etc.

tina

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

My favorite shop is is Great Finds and Designs a lovely high end- no junk here-consignment shop. The furniture and accessories are arranged in wonderfulroom settings which are always changing because things are always flying out of there.
    I overheard a designer picking up goods there to use at the symphony showhome a few years ago. Their prices are reasonable, I think because they do such a tremendous business, furniture being dropped off and being picked up every time I shop there.
    They were on Greenspring in Timonium, MD but they moved right before Christmas, I think- across the street or nearby but not sure. Need a shopping day soon I think.
    There are so many antique shops in the area I can't just pick one. There is antique row in Baltimore.
    A new fav of mine is the Good Life Market in Ellicott City MD. 2 buildings both incredible.
    Any shop in Ellicott City is not to be missed if you visit the area.It is an historic mill town and is quite charming.Home decor, antique, shabby chic, bakeries restaurants, new age shops,railroad museum. I am lucky enough to be able to hike down the historic trolley trail and visit( not for serious shopping though)

• pam14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love hearing about all these places - makes me want to travel! How far is Franklin from Chattanooga? I have a brother who lives in Chattanooga - hmmm.

Thanks for posting links to various stores. I noticed some of them have online shopping...could be dangerous. Love the colors of Pierre Deux too.

Donnamp14 - I'll have to check out that store in Holliston. I could be there in under an hour - woo hoo!

Keep these great shops coming!

• willowdecor
    15 years ago

In MA- Hudson in Wellesley and the South End - Also Belle Maison in Newton and the Seraph in Sturbridge

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

In Santa Fe, my all-time fav store is "American Country Collection". We've gotten quite a few things from them over the years and the quality is fantastic. Don't let the "country" fool you, though, this is NOT a cute kind of country store, but rather an elegant Santa Fe place. They have a small store right on the Plaza and a much larger main store on Cerrillos Road.
    In Albuquerque, my favorite is "Moses at Home" on Paseo Del Norte. Very similar to ACC.
    For antiques, though, my favorite by far is "Morningside Antiques " on Central Avenue. The owner, Christian, is a great guy and a wealth of info. The store is huge and I never have to worry about authenticity, as Christian totally knows his stuff and is very honest and trustworthy.
    Lynn

• southernheart
    15 years ago

Pam14, Franklin is right outside Nashville. We visit there at least 2X a year and enjoy it so much, always finding someplace new to explore. Lots of history and charm. It is definitely worth the drive.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

I agree Pam - it wouldn't be that far to drive. Also, I gave the wrong city for Relics - it is in Cleveland (which is not far from Chattanooga), at the Lee College exit, I believe. My brother and his wife are just outside Chattanooga, across the GA/TN line (in Georgia).

tina

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I LOVE the American Country Collection. I also like the Jackalope (Garden Shop). Thanks for the other two stores. Will have to check them out next trip.