SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlc102482

Retrofitting old storm windows to be removeable from inside?

jlc102482
13 years ago

I am wondering if anyone here has ever heard of somehow altering original storm windows on their old home to be removeable from the inside instead of the outside. My 1857 home has exterior storms which are only accessible from the exterior of the house. (From what I understand, this is the usual arrangement). Due to some injury/mobility issues, I can't really get up on a ladder to remove/carry them and am thus forced to enlist help. I'd like to be able to remove them myself, from the inside, but don't know if this can be done and/or if this would be a mistake from a preservation point of view.

I've attached a photo of a second story window so you can see how they are held in place. I am guessing I'm not the first person to ever have problems standing on a ladder trying to finagle heavy old windows 30 feet in the air, which is what inspired me to ask this question here! Does anyone have any ideas, or does some kind of hardware exist, that would allow me to somehow keep these storms in place from the inside instead of the outside?

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd story storm window

Comments (9)