SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kroach001

HELP! My Victorian's main color is white!! Color(s) for trim???

kroach001
13 years ago

Hello all!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I have a Queen Anne Victorian Farmhouse, circa 1890's. The house's main color (exterior) is WHITE. This leaves me clueless as to what color scheme I can use for the porch and trim details. I never see pictures of Victorian houses that are white. I do know that this house's original color was white. Some other old Queen Anne Victorian Farmhouses around here that are white have all the trim and porch components white which looks "OK".... but it would be so lovely to have a color scheme that would show off some of the wonderful trim work on the porches, windows and eves. With everything in white, the beautiful trim on these houses just blends in.

So a little about the house... its not a stately Victorian mansion. Its a simple small Queen Anne farmhouse. Its simple, but has some really elegant trim details around windows and the porches (three of them) have great trim details as well. Right now the trim is hardly noticeable because everything is white (I have black shutters). Changing the house's main color is not an option, first off because its more work than I can handle, and secondly because this house's original color was white. It did have an almost hunter green shutters and the same color on the gable fish scales. I don't know if porch components or window trim were ever anything but white. Right now they are all white, my gables are white too. This house did originally have a green metal roof. It now has a black metal roof and that is not changeable either.

Sooooo..... my dilemma... how to chose some nice colors to compliment some of the simple but elegant trim details without it looking like it stands out from the starkness of the white house. It needs to blend in, but stand out just a bit if that makes any sense at all. Painting porch components in some bold color scheme I do think would probably make the porch look like it doesn't belong with the house. This is not a super fancy Victorian, its a farmhouse with Victorian features, so I need to keep it simple, but would like to do something to help some of the great trim work stand out a bit more than just the all white everything is now.

ANY IDEAS?????? THANKS!!!!!!!

Comments (5)